The Longest Day

How good is The Longest Day on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I think Paschendales production suits it fine. Plus, we need to give DoD something or it can't hold up to the other 3 fantastic albums released this past decade! :p

Really good intro and unexpected chorus. But follows the same formula /flow as much of AMOLAD. Good instrumental section. 8

The build-up from the bass intro through the verses and towards the tempo changes between both verse and pre chorus, and pre chorus and chorus works flawlessly and the band makes it seem easy. The vocals are varied and one of the highlights of the song. What somewhat pulls the song down from being at the absolute top of the album is the slightly tedious first part of the instrumental section after the second chorus before the songs goes into the solos and melodies. Though it presents a varied build up that is absolute necessary for the album as a complete work, it does stop the song a bit in it's track.

Amazing intro! I really find DIckinson impressive on this song, I compare it with For the Greater Good of God : quiet introduction and then very high and surprising verse.

The intro is great, prechorus is good, but the chorus is tiresome. However, this song features the best bridge and solo section on the album. Just awesome.

The chorus is just horrible.Apart from that there is some very good guitar work done on this one.A prime example of a pre-chorus that tries to built up some tention and then the -dropping speed and the - repetition of the chorus destroys the song.

This is the song that I think fits the cover the best. The dark and almost evil verses fits the atmosphere of the cover perfectly (and Bruce is Eddie, standing on the tank, giving commands to his soldiers (bandmates). Steve on the right, leaning forwards, shooting the enemy (audience) with his gun (bass) .)

The verses are perfect and builds a momentum that sadly don't pay off, as the chorus is much weaker then the verses.
The instrumental section is good. I like the part at 4:28 and 5:50 which sounds like a battlefield.
The song as a whole could maybe been better if the song didn't opened up and became so anthemic on the choruses. The verses was more creative and I would prefer the whole song being building around that.

Still one of the best verses I've heard and the song as a whole is still great so I give at a 7.

7/10

I feel the same way as you Eddieson.

The chorus is such a tonal shift, and it really pulls you away from the imagery of the the gloomy verses. Plus it's repetitive in a way I can't get behind. But imagine this:

4 Verses
Pre-Chorus
4 Verses
Pre-Chorus
Solos and Bridge
Then at the end, just once as the song is coming to a close, "How Long on this longest day, till we finally make it through?" But with less anthem and more desperation in the vocal melody and delivery.

It would put the song in the four to five minute range, and would be tonally consistent. The last line really driving home everything that has come before it. A much better song in my opinion.

A cinematic experience, building up to a dramatic crescendo and a beautiful instrumental part that really fits the theme. Often forgotten, but so it goes with the very "album-specific" songs. The chorus could be a bit less repetitive though, so it gets 8/10 from me.

This song has a lot of great things going for it and would likely get my vote for most cinematic Maiden song, particularly the instrumental section. This might contain the best buildup on the entire album, from the verse all the way up until the first chorus, the intensity builds to a triumphant climax. Unfortunately this is followed by the only (but somewhat major) flaw of the song: the structure. They could've done something similar to BTATS or even Paschendale by having it build up and then go into something completely different, but instead they just repeat everything again. It kind of spoils the cinematic experience of the song and makes the chorus seem a bit too repetitive. Luckily it quickly redeems itself with the amazing instrumental section that follows. Up there with the greatest instrumental sections in Maiden's catalog, this really has it all. There's the glorious twin harmony, two fantastic solos, and the machine gun like chord hits. While Bruce described the moments preceding the actual battle with his lyrics, the actual battle is depicted by the instrumental section. A very interesting and unique twist on the typical Maiden war epic.

I really wanted to love this song. Ruined by repetition and unimaginative stuff, and that chorus is way too happy. But the intro is amazing and the instrumental is pretty good. Could have been better, though. 8/10.

Another spectacular song on this album. It's a very evocative song, heavy and complex and perfectly matched to the horror of the lyric. Then comes that brilliant shift into the melodic bridge. Unlike others though, I love the chorus too. Incredible feeling in this song. I think maybe Bruce overreaches a tiny bit in places but otherwise it's amazing.

One of my favourite vocal performances by any singer ever. Bruce is the star of the show here. He adds drama and tension and really describes the hell the song is about. Of course his lyrics are terrific as well. The instrumental part is one of the best on the album. Never had a problem with the chorus either.

10/10

One of my favourite vocal performances by any singer ever. Bruce is the star of the show here. He adds drama and tension and really describes the hell the song is about. Of course his lyrics are terrific as well. The instrumental part is one of the best on the album. Never had a problem with the chorus either.

10/10

Finally some serious love! Hell yeah! :ok:

Back