The Longest Day

How good is The Longest Day on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: The Longest Day

Extremely interesting. I want to see (and hear) it.
I dare to say that Dave does this solo on every gig (because it's him obviously on the album, and I have selected a random gig from internet), and the person who doesn't think so may prove otherwise.

:)

That's Dave. As I told you, he is not filmed, Janick holds his guitar high but he does that more often.
You can also see it from the white solo spot being on the left and not on Jan.

I could deduce it with my closed eyes. Such unmistakable Dave sound.

mckindog said:
Wingman, your first quote is why I don't agree with you and Foro on the "happy" instrumental. The fact is, the soldier did win this battle, and likely did feel a moment of triumph upon reaching the top of the hill.
And then he looks around at the cost of that victory — the bodies strewn across the beach — and the dark and dirty reality chokes the joy.
To me, it's an essential part of the narrative.

I never got that picture in my head from the lyrics. After all, the chorus goes "how long, on this longest day, 'till we finally make it through" - referring to victory as a future event, something that the soldier and protagonist wishes for.

By the way, I forgot to mention in my first post that I really like the first part of the instrumental section, from 4:29 up to the solos. I also think the solos are damn fine. And mind you, I'm not saying that the "happy" feel in parts of the instrumental section, and to some extent in the chorus, ruins the song. It doesn't. It just feels a bit out of place and thus disqualifies the song from the "perfect" mark.

Forostar said:

In my opinion, perhaps the most unmistakable Dave solo of the entire album, together with the one in Breeg.

Forostar said:
That's Dave. As I told you, he is not filmed, Janick holds his guitar high but he does that more often.
You can also see it from the white solo spot being on the left and not on Jan.

So what the hell is Janick playing then? It really looks like he's playing the solo.

Cosmiceddie said:
So what the hell is Janick playing then? It really looks like he's playing the solo.

From what I can hear, he plays the same melody as in the harmony leading up to the solo, but in a higher octave than before.

Eddies Wingman said:
From what I can hear, he plays the same melody as in the harmony leading up to the solo, but in a higher octave than before.

I see. No offence meant.  :blush:

8/10- I actually liked this song a lot more when the album came out than I do now.  The intro is the best part of the song for me, it really paints a vivid mental picture in your head about trudging through the waves to the shore.  For me, Maiden is the only band that successfully marries words and music this well.  I love the pre-chorus as well but the repetitive nature of the proper chorus (should have just repeated the lines twice instead of four times) brings it down.  And while it has nothing to do with the actual content of the song, I'm still bummed they didn't use pyro during the blasty mid section that so called for it.

If I could I'd give it an 8.5 as it really is a good song but just not quite a classic for me.

One of my favorites on the album.   Great lyrics, the intro is fantastic, Nikko does some cool stuff on the drums.  All around great D-Day song by Maiden.  An easy 10.

2. Probably my least fave Maide song. It drags, Bruce tries to save it, but he fails. The build up is great, but when comes the chorus, the visible lack of inspiration comes in torrents; the lyrics are very well written, but the instrumental section is confused and neither with much good will it depicts the horrors of the D Day, the waltzy melodies sounds like some ridiculous power metal bands, specially the german ones, and Dave's solo is silly. I might have listened to this song, at max, 20 times since the album's release. I'd never want to say it about a Maiden song: Boring!

Chartwell said:
:( :mad: :down:

imho best song on the album. I think it was said before, this one's better than Passchendale  :eek:
No it isn't.  :down:

Stallion Duck said:
No it isn't.  :down:

well, that's why it's IMHO. On a related note, don't you think Passchendale would have worked better on AMOLAD (and with its production) than on DoD? The album could be all war/religion, all the time.

I don't know. I always have the equalizers when listening to Paschendale and I like it that way. Same with The Longest Day.

Back