The Longest Day

How good is The Longest Day on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: 'The Longest Day'

Probably the hardest scenes in the history of cinema. This is exactly what I thought of when I heard the song, and now those awful images are deeply etched into my mind.

Excuse me while I go and throw up...  :(

Maverick said:
Probably the hardest scenes in the history of cinema. This is exactly what I thought of when I heard the song, and now those awful images are deeply etched into my mind.

Excuse me while I go and throw up...  :(

The editor didn't do a bad job. The soldier even pukes exactly when Bruce sings about it

I think people should see this scene of the film. Nevertheless, it remains one of the most horrible things I've seen -on the screen.

Forostar said:
The editor didn't do a bad job. The soldier even pukes exactly when Bruce sings about it
Maybe it was the editor, or maybe Iron Maiden are trying to pull a "Dark Side of the Rainbow" :innocent:

Hello,

Coincidence that Iron Maiden wrote a song about this, as I was halfway through the book by Cornelius Ryan entitled " The Longest Day "

This song really prints the images in your brain.  Almost as much as the book does but Cornelius Ryan simply is unbeatable. 

I hope Maiden make another album after this.  I expect to find a song called " A Bridge too Far "
Again, the book by Cornelius Ryan entitled " A Bridge too Far " about Operation Market-Garden, this action takes place during late September 1944, 2 months after the Normandy Landings.  I could go into the details as deeply as that fellow from before but I'm sure he'd be aching to tell the story.  I would love to see a passage in this song about Lieutenant Colonel John Frost who led the 1st British Airborne Division's 2nd Parachute Battalion as they held the vital last bridge at Arnhem, Holland, (indeed, the "Bridge too Far" that the title refers to) for 4 days.  His force of about 600 lightly armed paratroops held out for double the time that the entire division (10,000 men) was expected to hold out for.  And perhaps a part about Major Tatham-Warter, who was in command of one of Frost's companies at the bridge, who was seen in the midst of fighting with an umbrella and sporting a bowler hat (looking a lot like Charlie Chaplin), why?  Read the book and find out!

If Maiden can read this, PLEASE write a song about this!

And this is my first post so, hello everyone!

Yes, I know the story very well, and I did see the movie " A Bridge too Far " after I read the book.  I loved Anthony Hopkins the most in that picture, however, the movie changes too many things around, still a great picture though the book was better.  (How often is the movie better than the book anyway?)

The British always make me laugh, especially those at Arnhem Bridge, they are surrounded, short of food, nearly out of ammunition and in a totally hopeless situation when a german with a white "hankie" tied to a rifle walks down the bridge near the British positions inside houses.  The German tells a British captain that his general is offering them the chance to surrender. The Britisher, thinking the Germans want to surrender yells out " We're not taking any prisoners, fight it out you ruddy bastards! " And the German walks back confused with his tail between his legs.  One of many priceless moments that never fail to make me laugh.

Oh and Forostar, they are all heroes. :)

Mr. St-Cyr said:
Oh and Forostar, they are all heroes. :)

In the end they're all heroes, but for me the ones who gave most, the ones who fought hardest, the ones who had the biggest losses and the ones who got the worst unfair criticism have my biggest sympathy. I can't stand unjustice!

It's probably because I am Dutch and I know the Polish role pretty well (also often in the media recently).

Forostar said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgvAI8Cdkyg&eurl=

It's not an official Iron Maiden video, but it looks cool and a better visualization, belonging to this subject, is not possible!

This opening scene is the most realistic aspect of Saving Private Ryan and probably the most realistic visualization of D-Day in cinema.

Wow... this video leaves me totally stunned. Brilliant combination of music and picture.  :applause:

Really?

I thought it was more like longing for the day to end, desperation, hopelessness...  :innocent:

Genghis Khan said:
Really?

I thought it was more like longing for the day to end, desperation, hopelessness...  :innocent:

I just dont like how the Chorus is sung. In my opinion it takes away from the song.

for me this is the song that keeps on giving, i havent listened to it in a while because of TFF taking my attention away.
This used to be a firm favourite not only of AMOLAD but also pretty high in the maiden calender... i revisited it and it still gives me chills, maiden really do have a unique effectiveness at conjuring imagery. just the lines 'blood and sand we will prevail' send a chill down my back and has near every time i hear it.
      imagining just the pure grit and determination laying down their lives with blood flowing. its themes come sort of head-to-head with PFD and the latter is probably the better song all included but the longest day will always be one of those special maiden songs for me  :blush:

Daily Song: The Longest Day

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: The Longest Day

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.
This song has really been more and more disappointing over time. I really forced myself to love it in the same vein as Paschendale originally; but it's slumped since then, especially upon recognition that the true masterpieces on this album are BTATS and FTGGOG. Still, the buildup before the first chorus is one of the best-written pieces of both musical and lyrical imagery the band's come up with, if the instrumental section is a hint boring. The second chorus is downright insulting. 8/10.

Re: Daily Song: The Longest Day

It was once my favorite song from AMOL&D. I still like it but less than before. Chorus is really good and memorable. 9/10.

'The Longest Day', what can I say - it's so great (of course in my top ten Maiden songs), the guitar harmony section is out of this world and so is Bruce's singing on this one. I consider 'The Longest Day' even better than 'Brighter Than A Thousand Suns'. Can it get any better? - Yes, it can...and that on this very album.

10/10

Great suspenseful build-up, I love those well chosen words and performance, helping to imagine the idea of a soldier approaching the coastline in a vessel, and the horrible entrance on the beach. I find the instrumental part not too exciting, and like in FTGGOG I am not the biggest fan of these kind of 3/4 harmonies, which remind me a bit (too much) of Blood Brothers.

When I first read the title of the song, I said to myself, "oh dear, here they go, writing Paschendale Part II". Well, they didn't. Instead, they wrote something even bigger, even better. How shall I describe it, without putting Paschendale down? Paschendale is an epic, epic, epic song. A stunning piece of musical cinematography if there ever was one. But in comparison to this one, it is, perhaps a bit too epic: Polished and shiny, a perfectly rounded piece of music that glows and burns... The Longest Day however, is dirty and edgy, rough and uncomfortable, just like reality. Paschendale puts the images in your head alright, but I always feel that it sometimes takes you out of the trench and lets you fly over the battlefield showing you how epic it is. With The Longest Day however, you never leave that beach, you never leave the head of that soldier, you are right in the middle of it. You don't even think of leaving him, that's how captivating it is. The tension, the atmosphere, it leaves me on the edge of my seat, I feel the fear overwhelming me, I can sense the horror, the tension, the death, and in the middle of it, I almost want to dodge the artillery shells that are being fired at 5:50. Wow! The best song on the album, not by a long shot - the album in total is too good for that - but still. I tried to sing along to this one, but it was way too difficult for me, showing what a great singer Bruce is. The solos rock hard and Nicko is at his very best here. 10/10.

Longest day has a great intro. It's a perfect setting for the song. The lyrical content is superb and the middle section is probably my favorite on the album. But the rest of the song just isn't that good.

sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiding we go! 7/10

10/10. One of my favourite intros...talk about setting a tone and painting a picture. I don't place this song on the same level as I do Paschendale, but there's only a couple that do come close to that lofty height. My favouite harmony guitar piece is a highlight of this tune... when Dave comes soaring in with the solo over top of it, it's like the sun breaking through black clouds. Awesome. This is another great mind movie tune.

Back