If Eternity Should Fail

How good is If Eternity Should Fail on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Fun fact: I tried to scan/search this thread and was not able to find this: I happen to read some old Dr. Strange comics stories nowadays and one of them is called "If Eternity Should Fail!" (Strange Tales Vol 1, #138)

Yeah, someone pointed that out in the old TBOS pre-release thread. Has anyone actually read it?

I have read it right now and it is not much of a story :) It is a part of a multi-issue story arc. In this part
Dr. Strange enters some place called Eternity and asks for a help and he is denied. Anyway, he goes to face his enemy.
I have not read the lyrics of the song too carefully, but I think the only common thing is that it talks about some mystical things?

9/10. I've been giving this song a 8/10.. But I don't know, it's a pretty solid track! I just feel that the chorus gets a little repetitive towards the end, did I hear that was (we all know who's) idea..? After some more listens I'm going to give it a 9/10 after all anyway. It's definitely grown on me as a solid opener since the release.

9/10. I've been giving this song a 8/10.. But I don't know, it's a pretty solid track! I just feel that the chorus gets a little repetitive towards the end, did I hear that was (we all know who's) idea..? After some more listens I'm going to give it a 9/10 after all anyway. It's definitely grown on me as a solid opener since the release.

Bruce's solo stuff is rarely over-repetative so imagine the extra chorus was indeed Steve's idea. I dunno though, maybe Adrian wanted more time to solo

I guess I'm the only one here who thinks the Necropolis bit is shite.

The rest is amazing.

Would have prefered just to have the acoustic outro tbh. It's cheesy and spoils an otherwise great song.

Also should be a stonkin' live track.

Last edited:
Bruce's solo stuff is rarely over-repetative so imagine the extra chorus was indeed Steve's idea. I dunno though, maybe Adrian wanted more time to solo

Stranger in a Strange Land has the chorus repeating over and over, backed by guitar solo. H wrote that one alone. And to take an example from Bruce's solo career, Darkside of Aquarius has the same.

Late to the party, but I must say: I love this track. It's a perfect album opener, even if it doesn't sound like a typical opener.

Could definitely do without the Necropolis part, though. :)

This is easily the best song on the album, to me. I get chills when Bruce sings "at the master's table, the table's bare, no land of plenty, devastation, despaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaair".

Man, that is good stuff! Bruce sings it with such passion and power.

Stranger in a Strange Land has the chorus repeating over and over, backed by guitar solo. H wrote that one alone. And to take an example from Bruce's solo career, Darkside of Aquarius has the same.

And Book Of Thel, also repeating the last line.

After tons of listens, the feeling hasn't change... I just love this song! I think now I can safely say (in my opinion of course), that this is the best album opener since Sign of The Cross. I don't know if I am talking nonsense, but to me the intro sounds like a mix of the Holy Diver intro and the Gates Of Babylon intro, which makes the music even better.

This could very well be my favorite Maiden opener period. There are a few songs on TBOS that totally took me by surprise, stuff I'd never expect to hear on a Maiden album. This is one of them.

Z's opener list :

1. Caught Somewhere In Time
2. Moonchild
3. Where Eagles Dare
4. If Eternity Should Fail
5. Sign Of The Cross
6. Aces High
7. Different World
8. Be Quick Or Be Dead
9. Futureal
10. The Wicker Man
11. Tailgunner
12. Satellite 15...The Final Frontier
13. Invaders
14. The Ides Of March
15. Prowler
16. Wildest Dreams

The more I listen to this song the more I feel it has become one of my favourite all time Maiden songs. Every little thing about this song feels perfect to me.

Great song, one of the best in the album. Continued Maiden's tradition of having a strong opener. Would like this one to be the concert opener as well.
Inspired by Z above, my top album openers ranked from top to bottom are:

Aces High
The Wicker Man
Prowler
Caught Somewhere In Time
Moonchild
Where Eagles Dare
Be Quick Or Be Dead
Futureal
If Eternity Should Fail
Different World
Sign Of The Cross