Speed of Light - Official Music Video Thread

I asked Chris Jericho what he thought about the song, and he responded. :cool:

He loved it, thinking that Bruce sounded great and Adrian's guitar melody cooked.

It's interesting that I can hear two mistakes in the song. Others are saying Nicko is a bit off in his timing near the intro, (I personally can't tell). This is only 5 minutes of 92. I wonder if the errors are limited to this song, or if the album will be full of them.. I personally don't care all that much, but I'm sure it will really bother some musicians.

Are there mistakes in other Maiden studio songs? I've never heard any before Speed of Light.
I haven't heard the Nicko moment yet, but I think the answer is no. It probably has to do with the way this album was shaped in the studio. Lots of creativity on the spot. The band were probably so enthousiastic about this process that they wanted to keep the vibe rather than recording everything again. If Nicko had to do it all again, then the rest of the music as well.

Th enthusiasm factor is a good thing to think about. There's a ton of energy in that performance. It sounds like a first or second take as far as that goes. I'll take that energy level with a few hiccups (that I haven't even noticed yet for the record) over a perfect performance after being rehearsed to death.

Listen to 14 seconds in after Nicko hits the cowbell, he does a quick triplet on the snare,tom,floor, bass and then starts hitting the cowbell before playing a longer fill gioing into the groove. Maiden took their time with previous albums thats why BNW was a masterpiece in my opionion. This song feels rushed.
That is something I do not see as a mistake. Seriously, one cowbell hit instead of something else? That's a bit picky.

On Still Life, Nicko misses, or leaves out on purpose, a snare drum hit when he goes into a couplet (don't remember which now). Happens on the studio version and Maiden England version! It doesn't take anything away from the total performance, such moments, imo.

Th enthusiasm factor is a good thing to think about. There's a ton of energy in that performance. It sounds like a first or second take as far as that goes. I'll take that energy level with a few hiccups (that I haven't even noticed yet for the record) over a perfect performance after being rehearsed to death.
This is exactly how the band thinks i believe.

And if you listen closely you can hear that. Nicko and Steve are notorious for speeding up and a lot of songs end a notch faster than the tempo they started on.

There's lots of positive praise for this song, but quite a few naysayers are lurking about, not that that's a bad thing. But it would be interesting to see the demographics of each group e.g. Like it vs don't like it, pre 2000 fan vs post 2000.

Like it, pre 2000

It depend alson on geographic location I guess. I check forums in my country and well - 90% users complain about SOL.

I think its the best single of the reunion era with the exception of Wicker Man. Its a good (not great), catchy tune. The production is lacking to these ears. No indication of how the rest of the album will be (as was the case w/ TFF/AMOLAD).

I think its the best single of the reunion era with the exception of Wicker Man. Its a good (not great), catchy tune. The production is lacking to these ears. No indication of how the rest of the album will be (as was the case w/ TFF/AMOLAD).
How about Rain Maker? That song had a killer intro and Dave solo.

Rainmaker for me is overrated. I mean - it's fine song but personaly I think that people like it beacuse it sound almost like 80's maiden. For me is meeeh but I can see what others like about it (intro is nice).

The song is bloody awesome! Definitely the best lead-off single since "Man On The Edge" 21 years ago. It's vibrant, surging, and extremely catchy, and H yet again, gives a fantastic display in the lead guitar department.

If that weren't enough, the video is absolutely superb. As a huge fan of video games as well as Maiden, the throwbacks to both classic video games and Maiden songs, made me a bit misty eyed. And to top it off, the much maligned BYDTTS (which is one of my fave Maiden songs) was surprisingly, one of the songs referenced, and in a very cool way! Hopefully this is a sign that the song will finally make it back into the Maiden setlist. :)

Rainmaker for me is overrated. I mean - it's fine song but personaly I think that people like it beacuse it sound almost like 80's maiden. For me is meeeh but I can see what others like about it (intro is nice).
My view is completely opposite. I think Rainmaker and Wickerman is more modern sounding. SoL to me sounds more like the 90s.

I have a sneaky feeling that the older fans are going to like this more than the newer ones.

I frankly couldn't give a toss about a dropped beat or duff note here or there.

There is a bounciness to this song that is eerily 80s. It doesn't sound like its from that era, but the energy and spontaneity does and it's unlike the stodge of their latter efforts (apart from AMOLAD). Tight but loose.

The song is bloody awesome! Definitely the best lead-off single since "Man On The Edge" 21 years ago. It's vibrant, surging, and extremely catchy, and H yet again, gives a fantastic display in the lead guitar department.

If that weren't enough, the video is absolutely superb. As a huge fan of video games as well as Maiden, the throwbacks to both classic video games and Maiden songs, made me a bit misty eyed. And to top it off, the much maligned BYDTTS (which is one of my fave Maiden songs) was surprisingly, one of the songs referenced, and in a very cool way! Hopefully this is a sign that the song will finally make it back into the Maiden setlist. :)
Vibrant captures it just right.

My view is completely opposite. I think Rainmaker and Wickerman is more modern sounding. SoL to me sounds more like the 90s.
I would say that it sound even little like late 80's. But as for rainmaker - production sound is modern but song structure etc. is from 80's. I mean that Wickerman and Rainmaker could be on any of 80's album and noone would complain. But put there something like Starblind and probably there would be riots on streets.

I have a sneaky feeling that the older fans are going to like this more than the newer ones.

I frankly couldn't give a toss about a dropped beat or duff note here or there.

There is a bounciness to this song that is eerily 80s. It doesn't sound like its from that era, but the energy and spontaneity does and it's unlike the stodge of their latter efforts (apart from AMOLAD). Tight but loose.

I am one of the older fans, and I think the song is great. Without a doubt better than the overrated "Wicker Man" for me. About Nicko, I actually loved his playing on this song. His performance is more urgent and lively than on some songs he recorded nearly 20 years ago, which considering his age is quite a feat.

Back