Speed of Light - Official Music Video Thread

Sometimes I wish the band could just be locked out of the mastering sessions.

ALSO - the video has topped HALF A MILLION views! That's incredible.
Me too. Except Adrian, he has a great ear for production.

It just sucks that people are blaming Kevin for the mix when he really doesn't have much power over them. He's a great producer and people who only know him for Maiden paint him to be a fraud. Even with an album as great sounding as BNW.

Does it matter? I mean - yeah, it can be little disappointing for some people but from the other hand - we can't do anything about production. Some will like it, some not so much. We should focus on solution.

Very good song. Heard it a few times today. It's very good. Not amazing, but very good, and the guitar melodies are top notch.

I kinda like the production, aside from the toms... It's no AMOLAD or BNW in terms of sounds, but better sounding toms and maybe the drums down a slight notch...

Best videoclip ever, very rich in references. Good song, but I am pretty sure the album will have a darker sound. The production is also better than TFF, but I wish the bass was a bit louder (it certainly is there, though).

Btw the song is totally better when you dont watch the videoclip. While the video is fun to watch and all, it ruins the song. Music and video simply don't match, especially not in Maiden's case.

Btw the song is totally better when you dont watch the videoclip. While the video is fun to watch and all, it ruins the song. Music and video simply don't match, especially not in Maiden's case.

Agreed - total disconnect there for me as well. Watch the video on mute and listen to the song without the video. Much better!

I´m quite shocked actually. The first seconds are absolutely great, then it starts to suck. It´s not horrible but it´s just meh. The vocals doesn´t fit the the song and what the hell has happened to Nicko except getting older? He used to be one of the most innovative heavy metal drummers on the planet, ( Piece of mind, Seventh Son for example) on this song he plays the same boring fill he´s been playin for the last ten years only with less feel and finesse. And the sound is horrible as well. I just listened to the new Ghost album to make a comparison, which is a stunning achivement audio wise. They manage to have punch in the guitar, organ, bass and drums at the same time while the whole sound is organic, alive and fresh. The new maiden single sounds like a hack job. Would it be so bad having a producer that has the balls to tell them straight up that they have got to shape up soundwise and also cut away some dead meat from the songs? The shortest song is what, 5 minutes? Do we need to hear the same riff eight times instead of four? Do we need to hear endless slow bass intros? The album may turn out great though. But my expectations were really high after i read the Classic rock review, then I heard this so I´m not overly optimistic

A Ghost style of production would work horribly for Maiden. Yuck.
Works very well for Ghost though.

Yax, yeah In a way it wouldn´t work but I´d rather have that than what we´re stuck with. I´ve been listening to the Beast over Hammersmith album from Eddies Archive for the last hour and it sounds awesome. That would be a sound to aim for if it´s the "live" feel that their after

That was 30 + years ago though. Modern records just don't sound like that.

More realistically though, an AMOLAD sound would be nice. Very well sounding record. Not digging the overuse of snare sample reinforcement, but it sounds great overall.

It's good to hear some new Maiden after all these years. I liked the song. It's fun, it's relaxed, it doesn't seem to be forced (except for chorus) or anything like that. My favourite moment is when the teaser melody kicks in during the verse - it sounds super cool in this context. I started to appreciate this melody much more than after hearing it for the first time. I'm not a big fan of the chorus, though... It's a bit tiresome and not very creative. And it's a shame that the solos sound very stock. In the 'short rocker' category, they are nothing compared to TFF solos IMO. As for Bruce - the man is incredible. It's amazing that he can still perform so well. I like the production. I mean, Kevin could have done much worse... This time it's nicely focused and warm - quite pleasant to listen to (especially compared to DoD). Guitars sound great, although I have an impression that particular tracks are not as distinguishable as they used to be - I don't know, maybe it did some favour to the overall sound. Drums sound fine to me. I didn't hear much bass, but maybe it's because it plays some basic lines. The video is fine too, however it would be better if it corresponded with the song more and e.g. featured shots of the band playing in studio. All in all it's a very solid rocker. And let's face it - it's safe to assume that it's going to be one of the less interesting songs on the album. It's good, though, so we're in for a treat.

AMOLAD was alright but It sounds a bit like someone has put a blanket over the speakers compared to other maiden albums. Could be the lack of mastering? The sound of drums and guitars by themself sound great but the overall sound is a bit weird I think

I think there's actually a really great production somewhere here for TBoS. It's just been meddled with in the mastering or something. Bruce and the guitars sound incredible.

AMOLAD was alright but It sounds a bit like someone has put a blanket over the speakers compared to other maiden albums. Could be the lack of mastering? The sound of drums and guitars by themself sound great but the overall sound is a bit weird I think
It's just more mid and smooth sounding than most other Maiden records. You'll like it better loud where you get more treble. More overheads and a bit more top end to the overheads and the main mix wouldn't have hurt. But it's very smooth sounding. I dig it.

I imagine an external mastering engineer would've boosted the top end a bit. But hasn't anything to do with the lack of mastering in itself.

It's just more mid and smooth sounding than most other Maiden records. You'll like it better loud where you get more treble. More overheads and a bit more top end to the overheads and the main mix wouldn't have hurt. But it's very smooth sounding. I dig it.
The best album since Bruce and Adrians return I think

Back