Speed of Light - Official Music Video Thread

Also Bruce does those things with his voice, especially in the screams that is very early 90s Maiden...I'm sure this is also a factor in conjuring up the No Prayer/Fear vibe!

Exactly. His vocals are very much a throwback to the early 90's era Maiden vocals, with that gravelly, rasping quality to them. The intro scream reminds me very much of the intro scream on Be Quick Or Be Dead, which is another very underrated Maiden song for me.

I've now listened to the single several times on my automatic iTunes download.
I've already posted my thoughts on the song, but I think I'm ready to give the production a B- .
There is more space than AMOLAD and DoD and it's not as dry as TFF.
It doesn't match up to Birch's work, but it definitely has a No Prayer feel with a touch more effects.
I agree the tom sound is the worst part of the package and I wish Bruce was more centred in, rather than slightly above the mix. But the guitar leads are very distinct.
Shirley's done a nice job capturing the band's energy, which I've always understood that is what they pay him to do.

Feeling like I have a very good handle on this song now.
In terms of what "type" of song it is, its best comparison is 2 minutes - driving, riff driven with interesting guitars in the instrumental break, a very conventional classic metal structure, passionate vocals and a memorable chorus.
Surprised it took me so long to hear this.

I listened to the song about 5 times on Friday and gave it a rest yesterday. I had it on my mind late last night after a rock festival, so I take that as a good sign.
Also, I'm not sure where people are getting the No Prayer vibe from, I personally don't hear it.

So I got the single - and I've changed my mind... It's actually a really really good tune. I think hearing it in really high quality made a difference for me. I think the song, honestly, sounds like a mix between 80s Maiden and Bruce's solo stuff. The only thing I don't like is the weird intro.

Stan - yeah, but now I think that the intro is why I like single so much. It's that weird WTF moment that catch my attention.

I was a bit burned out after listening to it hundreds of time. I appreciated it much more in Spotify or some really good quality youtube videos. I think I need to hold back a bit and wait for the actual CD. This is the downside of releasing just one song....by the time the album is out we would all be sick of SOL.

Last edited:
That's up to you, in fact. I have only heard it around 10 times, and the last time I did was on Friday. I'm not planning to wear it out before the release of the album.

That's up to you, in fact. I have only heard it around 10 times, and the last time I did was on Friday. I'm not planning to wear it out before the release of the album.

Same here. As of yesterday I have cut myself off completely. It was great to meet Speed of Light at the party, but I'd rather get to know it better at the big show.

Okay, I've held off so far, but here goes. Above all it's great to hear Maiden back and bursting with energy. I'm fond of the new song, but I don't find it absolutely outstanding by any means. I fully expect the rest of the album to surpass it. It's in a similar vein to El Dorado in my book, but more catchy. I definitely prefer it to El Dorado, if we're going to compare to a previous single. Bruce sounds a touch gruffer (or older?) again in places, but he's hitting and holding some impressive notes, too. The sound is reasonably clear to me - certainly not as muddy as some are suggesting, although I often find post-reunion Maiden sounds like Bruce is contending to be heard over this huge, monstrous, too-big-for-any-stage band. Overall, I think it's pretty much in line with what I'd expect of a Maiden single, it goes out and grabs the attention of both longstanding fans and potentially a few newcomers too. It proves they're still creative and can still perform, and is a nice little energetic promise of what's to come. But it's the rest of the album I'm waiting for.

As for the video - it's clever. I don't get all that much enjoyment out of it, personally, although it's a good match to the music, and the little details are fun to spot and very clever indeed, from a marketing point of view as much as anything.

It's my ~42 time when I play it... I can't help myself.
Meaning of life, the universe and everything. This could be a good time to take a break.

The beginning of Dave's solo sounds like his Rainmaker solo, does anyone else think this?

I listened to the CD single on repeat on the way home from the store and I think that'll be enough for now. Normal lead singles are released a few months in advance so if I wear it out on release it's no big deal because the song will be fresh again by the time I hear it again with the rest of the album. Since this isn't the case for SoL and the album is coming up quickly, I'm going to be a bit more careful.

Back