Speed of Light - Official Music Video Thread

The video is awesome, though perhaps you need to be a video game fan to truly appreciate it. For anyone who is interested, these are all the game+Maiden references combinations:

1. Game reference: Donkey Kong/Maiden references: Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter, and Holy Smoke
2. Game references: Robocop & Super Probotector/Maiden references: Live After Death, Somewhere In Time, Powerslave and The Final Frontier
3. Game references: Mortal Kombat & Street Fighter II/Maiden references: Run To The Hills & Number Of The Beast
4. Game references: Doom & Turok: Dinosaur Hunter/Maiden references: The Book Of Souls

Stealing from my own post from a previous thread...

"It must be a mighty honour to be selected as the first single off a new Maiden album but the challenge comes with extremely high expectations and responsibilities. Your role is to excite, make a statement, introduce the new album. Yet you are alone and exposed. You are analysed, scrutinised, perhaps criticised. You are a solitary unknown newcomer to be judged by millions who have the whole of Maiden's history to compare you against.

You walk into a saloon, the music stops, all eyes are on you. You scan the room for other first singles. The Wickerman and Wasted Years are both at the bar laughing with Flight Of Icarus. They've made it. Yet other openers are not enjoying themselves so much...Can I Play With Madness and Wildest Dreams are ignored and sit by themselves in a corner. Holy Smoke wasn't even allowed in. The Reincarnation Of Benjamon Breeg came in for a few ales, didn't feel a connection with the faster galloping rockers so he left, went for a stroll and possessed a passerby. How will you be judged?"

....Speed of Light is at the bar being shouted drinks!! It's chorus is supersonic!!!!

Where's good ol' 2 Minutes to Midnight? Sitting home, still worried about nuclear war?

This has me looking forward to the rest of the album even more than I looked forward to it before - and I used to look forward to it damn much!

Also loved the video very much. It was fun to catch and see all the references and throwbacks. I hope these coming three weeks will go by fast because I look forward to this more than I look forward to my vacation, and yet the dates coincide... hahaha

They might as well work without a ''proper'' producer then, mighn't they?

Please lord no...if this is what it sounds like with Cavemen doing his absolute best to reign 'Arry in, I'd literally hate to hear what it would sound like with only 'Arry behind the controls for the run of show.

What else could it be? I thought Quest For Fire as soon as I saw it.

It could also be a game reference. I also thought of Quest For Fire, but that would be such an obscure choice of song to be referenced in the video. I guess you could also call BYDTTS and Holy Smoke obscure choices, but they were hit singles, even though they have been largely ignored in setlists for the past 20 years.

Maybe it's code for the tour setlist: open with quest, bring yo girl and hoooolee snooke.

Perhaps the most enjoyable thing about this particular song is that it really does feel like everyone is having a great time. It genuinely sounds like a song they made for themselves as opposed to trying to cater to the fans, and if there is one thing I want any band I enjoy to do, its to stay true to themselves. And they have done that in spades here.

It has a different feel to most of their other singles due to that spontaneity and the blues rock influence, which will understandably put some people off...especially if you were expecting something that Maiden had no intention of (re)doing. But you can't think of it as changing the menu, so to speak; they're adding to the (already expansive) buffet.

Agree with this! As long as the band is having fun, I'm having fun. It's that spark that caught me at first, although I didn't fall in love with the song itself right away. I think the simplicity and energy of this song will be a good prelude to the epics and more embellished pieces that are supposed to follow. It'll be so great to hear how this flows on the album. A little joyous bit of familiarity surrounded by unexplored depths of mystery!

I dunno if anyone else has felt this, but the raw, back to basics feel of this song reminds me a bit of the No Prayer album. Which is an irony, seeing as two songs from that album are referenced in the video. The song lacks the darker edge much of that album's material had, but the raw, spontaneous feel definitely brings to mind that album. And as I've always had a huge spot for No Prayer, it's probably no surprise that I also love this song. I only wish No Prayer had the same drum sound though. lol

Please lord no...if this is what it sounds like with Cavemen doing his absolute best to reign 'Arry in, I'd literally hate to hear what it would sound like with only 'Arry behind the controls for the run of show.
Well, it's called The X-Factor and Virtual XI...

Really digging SOL. Love the intro, solos, main riff and Bruce's vocals. The video is cool also.
I have listened to it through a decent set of headphones and the bottom end really comes through. I mean you can actually hear the bass which makes a big difference.

Totally has a No Prayer feel.

I dunno if anyone else has felt this, but the raw, back to basics feel of this song reminds me a bit of the No Prayer album. Which is an irony, seeing as two songs from that album are referenced in the video. The song lacks the darker edge much of that album's material had, but the raw, spontaneous feel definitely brings to mind that album. And as I've always had a huge spot for No Prayer, it's probably no surprise that I also love this song. I only wish No Prayer had the same drum sound though. lol

Also Bruce does those things with his voice, especially in the screams that is very early 90s Maiden...I'm sure this is also a factor in conjuring up the No Prayer/Fear vibe!

Back