The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it too much to ask that they can remember how a song they have been playing for the whole tour goes? It is not like they are changing the setlist every night…
theyre not in their 30/40s anymore, theyre all grandpas now. this could happen more often.

the point is that people will always complain about anything.

The reunion commenced in 1999 with the band delivering their most powerful setlist ever performed. However, in numerous markets, they found themselves playing venues akin to those from their Virtual XI tour. While Brave New World and Dance of Death effectively reestablished Iron Maiden as a formidable creative force, it was AMOLAD that propelled them to the pinnacle of the charts, garnering heightened attention from a broader audience of potential fans. Although BNW and DoD boast exceptional songs, the music industry still exhibited some reluctance towards Maiden in terms of their creativity. It was with AMOLAD that Iron Maiden finally achieved a top ten album in the States (as opposed to BNW reaching number 39 and DoD reaching 18). The band recognized that there was only one course of action upon witnessing the album's remarkable chart success: to perform the entire album in its complete entirety. The AMOLAD album and tour cycle marks the precise period when Iron Maiden distinguished themselves from their contemporaries, solidifying their position as the creative masterminds of the metal genre, together with chart topping bands such as Metallica and Tool. Similar to how some fans initially failed to grasp the brilliance of Seventh Son, AMOLAD stands as an essential cornerstone in the success of modern Maiden. With subsequent albums like The Final Frontier, The Book of Souls, and Senjutsu, they have consistently maintained their success. However, it was AMOLAD that truly served as the seminal starting point for Iron Maiden's ascent to dominating the global charts.

A Matter of Life and Death, while not necessarily appealing to every individual's taste, can be viewed from a different perspective. Instead of labeling it as "boring, plodding, tasteless, muddy, and colorless," one could argue that the album embodies a distinct musical approach and atmosphere. Firstly, the term "boring" is subjective, as musical preferences differ from person to person. Some listeners may find the album's intricate song structures, layered instrumentals, and thought-provoking lyrics to be engaging and intellectually stimulating. The album's progressive elements and extensive song lengths may require a more focused and attentive listening experience, appealing to fans of intricate and complex music. Secondly, describing the album as "plodding" fails to acknowledge the deliberate pacing and dynamic shifts that contribute to its overall atmosphere. A Matter of Life and Death showcases a range of emotions, from the somber and introspective to the energetic and powerful, creating a diverse sonic journey that captivates many listeners. Furthermore, the assertion of the album being "tasteless, muddy, and colorless" disregards the technical proficiency and artistic vision demonstrated by the band. Iron Maiden's trademark guitar harmonies, galloping basslines, and Bruce Dickinson's commanding vocals remain present throughout the album, showcasing their musical prowess and attention to detail.
I can say I wasn't old enough to remember anything after Book Of Souls when it comes to Iron Maiden (which is among my least fav Maiden albums along with AMOLAD and no prayer). I do remember however reading about the displeasure of fans when they played the entire album live, Bruce tearing apart a play classics sign, that they didn't play beast, hills and trooper, etc.

I will however say that making long songs doesn't make them progressive, Maiden had many progressive songs and albums in the 80's like Rime and the whole SiT album, these albums/songs could justify their length and did not overstay their welcome, they were also limited to one vinyl disc back then which was a blessing for Maiden. AMOLAD is not memorable or interesting, where are the harmonies, the great riffs, the hooks?

I can say I wasn't old enough to remember anything after Book Of Souls when it comes to Iron Maiden (which is among my least fav Maiden albums along with AMOLAD and no prayer). I do remember however reading about the displeasure of fans when they played the entire album live, Bruce tearing apart a play classics sign, that they didn't play beast, hills and trooper, etc.
The disappointment was pretty much from the casual "yeah, I listen to 80's Maiden" crowd. That album was very well received by fans and critics alike. They played 3 nights at the Globe arena here in Sweden (around 45 k in attendance, which is in line with 2005 and onwards); it was my first rock concert and it was awesome. I will say though that as usual, the heat got turned up when they played the handful of classics towards the end, but it was a well received tour, regardless of what a loud minority would have you believe. Iron Maiden played an entire album live and the fans ate it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back