The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
The studio outro licks of SIASL by Adrian are great and futuristic sounding, but Janick's Egyptian-like ones are cool too and kind of fit. Love it.

Speaking of Janick's playing, I wished him to play his DOTC solo note for note (because it's great), but I expected him to change it. Still a lot of fun.

In what way are they Egyptian-like? Is it because he is playing the guitar sideways?

1688481777672.png

Nah, you see, the studio version was recorded too fast. This is the moment when the drums should kick in.

Perhaps Nicko was having a short nap during the long intro and was rudely awoken!

man-snoring-and-waking-up-0f1wvqmtyb6pq5cc.gif

Last edited:
In what way are they Egyptian-like? Is it because he is playing the guitar sideways?

View attachment 28345

Eastern harmony -> Powerslave -> Egypt (The Chains Are On) -> Dio -> Caught in the Middle -> Middle-East -> Walk Like an Egyptian -> Bangles -> Manic Monday -> Prince -> Prince of Egypt -> animated musical -> Lion King -> Mufasa -> African -> Toto -> Steve Lukather -> Michael Jackson's Beat It -> Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' -> GTA Vice City -> GTA V -> Assassin's Creed: Origins - -> EGYPT!

What is it that you don't get about that?

Brave New World played a key role in making Maiden bigger, AMOLAD probably not.
The reunion commenced in 1999 with the band delivering their most powerful setlist ever performed. However, in numerous markets, they found themselves playing venues akin to those from their Virtual XI tour. While Brave New World and Dance of Death effectively reestablished Iron Maiden as a formidable creative force, it was AMOLAD that propelled them to the pinnacle of the charts, garnering heightened attention from a broader audience of potential fans. Although BNW and DoD boast exceptional songs, the music industry still exhibited some reluctance towards Maiden in terms of their creativity. It was with AMOLAD that Iron Maiden finally achieved a top ten album in the States (as opposed to BNW reaching number 39 and DoD reaching 18). The band recognized that there was only one course of action upon witnessing the album's remarkable chart success: to perform the entire album in its complete entirety. The AMOLAD album and tour cycle marks the precise period when Iron Maiden distinguished themselves from their contemporaries, solidifying their position as the creative masterminds of the metal genre, together with chart topping bands such as Metallica and Tool. Similar to how some fans initially failed to grasp the brilliance of Seventh Son, AMOLAD stands as an essential cornerstone in the success of modern Maiden. With subsequent albums like The Final Frontier, The Book of Souls, and Senjutsu, they have consistently maintained their success. However, it was AMOLAD that truly served as the seminal starting point for Iron Maiden's ascent to dominating the global charts.

AMOLAD is boring, plodding, tasteless, muddy and colorless

A Matter of Life and Death, while not necessarily appealing to every individual's taste, can be viewed from a different perspective. Instead of labeling it as "boring, plodding, tasteless, muddy, and colorless," one could argue that the album embodies a distinct musical approach and atmosphere. Firstly, the term "boring" is subjective, as musical preferences differ from person to person. Some listeners may find the album's intricate song structures, layered instrumentals, and thought-provoking lyrics to be engaging and intellectually stimulating. The album's progressive elements and extensive song lengths may require a more focused and attentive listening experience, appealing to fans of intricate and complex music. Secondly, describing the album as "plodding" fails to acknowledge the deliberate pacing and dynamic shifts that contribute to its overall atmosphere. A Matter of Life and Death showcases a range of emotions, from the somber and introspective to the energetic and powerful, creating a diverse sonic journey that captivates many listeners. Furthermore, the assertion of the album being "tasteless, muddy, and colorless" disregards the technical proficiency and artistic vision demonstrated by the band. Iron Maiden's trademark guitar harmonies, galloping basslines, and Bruce Dickinson's commanding vocals remain present throughout the album, showcasing their musical prowess and attention to detail.

Last edited:
...and today Bruce wanted to add a chorus during Stranger. But the band said no and forced him into bridge section.

Wouldn't it be nice to see a future tour where all of the reunion albums save for Senjutsu are focused on?

Tracks from BnW through TBoS only - and Iron Maiden, Fear of the Dark, Trooper, and 1-2 classics from TNOTB album. Partly for selfish reasons (I wasn't able to see any shows between 2000 and 2018), but also because the great tracks on these albums have been largely neglected for the past 10 years (minus TBOS songs from 2014-2017).

At least 2-3 of the following deep cuts would justify the cost of me traveling to see 3-4 shows: Out of the Silent Planet, The Thin Line Between Love and Hate, No More Lies, Montsegur, Paschendale, The Legacy, Starblind, The Alchemist, Isle of Avalon, The Man Who Would Be King (yes I'm a sucker for the TFF album - criticism from the fanbase at large be damned!!), The Red and the Black, The Book of Souls (Title Track).

Paschendale may be a bit of a downer (I've been known to bawl my eyes out about every 1 in 3 listens), and The Thin Line Between Love and Hate may have a few too many slow/moody parts, but the rest of the songs that I've listed would carry over well (with Maiden's tried and true 'Anthemic' vibe) in a live setting, IMHO.

I'm that oddball Reunion-era super fan who rates TFF as highly as most rate AMOLAD and who rates AMOLAD as moderately/fair to middling as most rate TFF, haha!!
Fellow oddball here. :)

Stranger in a Strange Land has been performed perfectly night after night, really odd.
What's odd about it? The mind is a strange thing. Sometimes something you know by heart is just randomly blank or altered in your head. Sometimes when you're on autopilot you shift into the wrong bit by accident. Genuinely wondering if you guys have ever existed as human beings before, asking for a friend. Thanks in advance.

What's odd about it? The mind is a strange thing. Sometimes something you know by heart is just randomly blank or altered in your head. Sometimes when you're on autopilot you shift into the wrong bit by accident. Genuinely wondering if you guys have ever existed as human beings before, asking for a friend. Thanks in advance.
Two nights in a row is unlike Bruce.

Alright, let's send him to the infirmary. Take that disintegrating bitch ass frontman away, he's no good. Absolutely sucks, can't believe we took him out on tour in the first place. I'm going back to 1981 to make sure Steve Harris doesn't make the same mistake once. Goddamn son of a bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back