Your Maiden blasphemy

Virus sucks ass. Sorry guys
No it doesn't suck. It's brilliant.

Go on, prove otherwise, and I want to see at least one equation in your answer.

here's mine: if you are indeed 'Patrick92', in other words referencing the fact you were born in 1992, then you were simply not there at the time. If your username has no relationship to your age then apologies.

But in 1996, Virus was an excellent fuck you to the prevailing music of the age.

if you are indeed 'Patrick92', in other words referencing the fact you were born in 1992, then you were simply not there at the time.
in 1996, Virus was an excellent fuck you to the prevailing music of the age.

Sounds like he was there to me. :lol:

Why does the fact the he "wasn't there" mean his opinion is less valid, anyway? The way I see it, you're doing the song a disservice by suggesting that it's only good if you were around at the time of its release. Doesn't matter if the song's message is of its time, the music should be timeless.

Sounds like he was there to me. :lol:

Why does the fact the he "wasn't there" mean his opinion is less valid, anyway? The way I see it, you're doing the song a disservice by suggesting that it's only good if you were around at the time of its release. Doesn't matter if the song's message is of its time, the music should be timeless.
That is a disagreeable statement. If you were old enough to experience music as a new release at the time, that might be a factor in how you take in and experience the songs. Of course Patrick92 and anyone can have an opinion on it, but i'm simply adding context around why opinions may differ. If you were a new hardcore Maiden fan in 1996 and queued up to buy Virus and Best of the Beast, maybe you enjoyed it, and absorbing the music at that point in time had some additional meaning to it.

I agree that Virus isn't a perfect or brilliant song, but I loved it back in 1996. It did the trick for me as a more uptempo new single.

All I'm saying is that you may have specific memories and experiences associated with the release, the artwork, and how the songs slotted into the musical zeitgeist of the time. Sure, you can say 'music is timeless', but I challenge you on this since in reality we experience new music in a particular way if were there when it was new.

That's why I also adore A Real Dead One!!!

No it doesn't suck. It's brilliant.

Go on, prove otherwise, and I want to see at least one equation in your answer.

here's mine: if you are indeed 'Patrick92', in other words referencing the fact you were born in 1992, then you were simply not there at the time. If your username has no relationship to your age then apologies.

But in 1996, Virus was an excellent fuck you to the prevailing music of the age.
Wow.

The Number of The Beast has always left me slightly cold despite there being some amazing songs on it. I think a big factor is Clive Burr's playing which I've always found quite stiff unlike Nicko who is very loose and fluid. Hallowed is one of my favourite songs of all time but the studio version is a little sluggish imo so I always opt for the RiR recording. In fact the only song which live versions I don't favour is Children of the Damned.

I was born in 1975 and I think Virus is below mediocre. I was around and bought the vinyl and tried to be happy. Same as The X Factor, I wanted to like it and I succeeded for a time.

The second half is okay-if-generic Maiden but the first couple of minutes are pretty bad and I'm surprised Nicko couldn't come up with anything more interesting than those lame snare hits

The second half of Virus from 'When every good things laid to waste...' to the end of the 'The rats in cellars' is some of Maidens finest music full stop. Love the solo, love the keyboard angel choir, love Blazes vocals. It's what got me hooked, rather than The Trooper or Aces High. The emotion in it works

The Number of The Beast has always left me slightly cold despite there being some amazing songs on it. I think a big factor is Clive Burr's playing which I've always found quite stiff unlike Nicko who is very loose and fluid. Hallowed is one of my favourite songs of all time but the studio version is a little sluggish imo so I always opt for the RiR recording. In fact the only song which live versions I don't favour is Children of the Damned.
Feel the same way

I'm not crazy about 7th Son Of A 7th Son. I like just the title track, The Evil That Men Do and The Clairvoyant. Moonchild and Can I Play With Madness are "okay". To me, it was a step backward after Somewhere In Time. Like POM and Powerslave, SIT had a heavy edge to it and I was expecting more of the same. Instead I got a mellower version of Iron Maiden. Then came No prayer For The Dying which I do like somewhat, but it too, lacked the edge I spoke of. Fear Of The Dark? Hated it outside of Childhood's End, FOTD and Afraid To Shoot Strangers.

Last edited:
Well, I figure I'll add this too and I really hate saying it but now that riff has, I don't feel so bad.

Number Of The Beast is the most overrated Maiden album on the planet. Every time I see a top metal album list it's right there. Maybe it's the over exposure in the live shows because NOTB and HBTN are mandatory. I don't know. It's my least favorite of the 80's Bruce albums.

Back