Your Maiden blasphemy

Killers is the most overrated album and a lot of the material isn't any good.

Live after Death is also overrated. The guitars sound crap and Bruce is flat a lot of the time. It's as popular as it is because it's the era where Maiden broke into the USA in a big way and is a big nostalgia trip for a lot of their fans there. Flight 666 is a lot better.

The Blaze era is criminally underrated and most of the problems with Maiden at that time were not Blaze's fault. Fear of the Dark should be dropped for Sign of the Cross or The Clansman.

The alleged "play the classics crowd" are not as big as some people make them seem. They are blown out of proportion by people trying to make themselves sound like TRUE fans in comparison.

Janick Gers is an absolutely quality addition to the band. He has helped write some of the best Reunion era songs and his live performances are amazing. The hate for him is stupid and pathetic.

The Reunion era material is, in many respects, on par with the first 7 albums.
Would hate to lose FOTD but apart from that, I'm right with you :D

Killers is the most overrated album and a lot of the material isn't any good.

Live after Death is also overrated. The guitars sound crap and Bruce is flat a lot of the time. It's as popular as it is because it's the era where Maiden broke into the USA in a big way and is a big nostalgia trip for a lot of their fans there. Flight 666 is a lot better.

The Blaze era is criminally underrated and most of the problems with Maiden at that time were not Blaze's fault. Fear of the Dark should be dropped for Sign of the Cross or The Clansman.

The alleged "play the classics crowd" are not as big as some people make them seem. They are blown out of proportion by people trying to make themselves sound like TRUE fans in comparison.

Janick Gers is an absolutely quality addition to the band. He has helped write some of the best Reunion era songs and his live performances are amazing. The hate for him is stupid and pathetic.

The Reunion era material is, in many respects, on par with the first 7 albums.
I’m down with almost everything except I can’t find Killers to be overrated. If anything I think it’s underrated and NotB is the overrated album. But that’s just me.

As for the “play classics” crowd, I can only speak from personal experience and say that, here in the states, MOST folks I see at Maiden shows hardly know there’s a new album out and are super into the 80s stuff and kinda aimless during the reunion and most 90s stuff. But I think that one depends a lot on personal experience. The “play classics” fans are definitely fewer on this board thankfully than in the wild.

I’m down with almost everything except I can’t find Killers to be overrated. If anything I think it’s underrated and NotB is the overrated album. But that’s just me.

As for the “play classics” crowd, I can only speak from personal experience and say that, here in the states, MOST folks I see at Maiden shows hardly know there’s a new album out and are super into the 80s stuff and kinda aimless during the reunion and most 90s stuff. But I think that one depends a lot on personal experience. The “play classics” fans are definitely fewer on this board thankfully than in the wild.
A lot of die-hard Maiden fans need (and often fail) to realise that the "Play Classics" crowd make up at least 80% of the audience at your average gig. You don't fill up arenas with Maiden fan club and forum members.

As for the “play classics” crowd, I can only speak from personal experience and say that, here in the states, MOST folks I see at Maiden shows hardly know there’s a new album out and are super into the 80s stuff and kinda aimless during the reunion and most 90s stuff
Yeah ok actually I'll give you that - Maiden in the USA is a legacy act

Rammstein has entered the chat....

Rammstein have an overwhelming stage show in the physical sense of the word. But behind all their flame throwers and steel walls, the band and the music take a backseat. Maiden know how to create theatrical visuals that are in service of the music. There is still a connection between the audience and the band. With Rammstein, I didn't have that impression, no matter how much fake jizz I got hit by.

A lot of die-hard Maiden fans need (and often fail) to realise that the "Play Classics" crowd make up at least 80% of the audience at your average gig. You don't fill up arenas with Maiden fan club and forum members.
Which is why they get all the hits at the album tours, and that's fine. I don't particularly care.

Montreal, however, they generally know the new stuff, which is because Montreal is the most metal city in North America.

I remember my Book of Souls shows the crowd was pretty well into the new material. Hell, TRATB went down better then than FTGGOG (even though it's not a classic, obviously) did on the Legacy shows I saw.

Well, my blasphemous opinion concerns Empire of the Clouds. The song has some nice melodies in the first part and at the end (dreams live on sounds fantastic), but the whole middle feels so slapped together that it hurts. It's like a collection of random riffs and mediocre ideas with jarring transitions. It doesn't do well at illustrating the event musically, maybe apart from the moment with bowed gong. The piano brings nothing to the song and it would sound better if the guitars did all that work. The additional midi orchestration sounds embarrassing. There aren't many Maiden songs that straight up annoy me when I listen to them, but this is one of the few. I'd say it had potential for a solid 10-minute track, but in this form I don't like it, unfortunately. Look, I usually avoid ranting and just focus on the stuff I like, but this one bugs me.

I remember my Book of Souls shows the crowd was pretty well into the new material. Hell, TRATB went down better then than FTGGOG (even though it's not a classic, obviously) did on the Legacy shows I saw.
I agree with this having seen both shows and wonder if it’s because, being a new album tour, the ratio of newer still-listening fans to legacy fans was greater. I saw the BoS tour at Madison Square Garden and remember the fans doing the whoah-oh-ohs right along The Red and the Black.

I agree with this having seen both shows and wonder if it’s because, being a new album tour, the ratio of newer still-listening fans to legacy fans was greater. I saw the BoS tour at Madison Square Garden and remember the fans doing the whoah-oh-ohs right along The Red and the Black.
Could be a wrong assumption, but I feel like TBOS was the highest anticipated Maiden album in a long time due to Bruce's cancer. Even the most casual fans heard about it and listened to the album because it really could've been their last. I also think it's Maiden's best chart performance ever worldwide (and don't think Senjutsu will beat that). The album tour starting just a year after the news that caused everyone to get scared as hell about Bruce still feels a bit surreal to me.

Some guy next to me was trying to sing the Speed of Light chorus and I remember thinking to myself "Good fucking luck there, buddy."

When it comes to screens: I think there's a place for them in an Iron Maiden show, but I think the place would have to be very creative and not distracting. Not just to make up the entire backdrop, but if there was a section of the stage (mirrored, probably) that could be used creative, that might be fun.

Obviously, we never want a situation where the band is interacting with non-real things. There's a reason Maiden has the best stage show in metal and that's all the time to craft that goes into it.
I think that probably best way to use screens would be to animate some small details of backdrop for example. Some may want to animate whole backdrop in a corny 3d but I think that adding Simple effects like moving clouds or birds and keeping rest still would be most effective. But then again - i prefer practical effects etc.

I think that probably best way to use screens would be to animate some small details of backdrop for example. Some may want to animate whole backdrop in a corny 3d but I think that adding Simple effects like moving clouds or birds and keeping rest still would be most effective. But then again - i prefer practical effects etc.
Yeah, that's how I feel about it, but I also feel like they could come up with stuff that I couldn't.

Back