Your Maiden blasphemy

Pom is the quintessential maiden album in my opinion. It is the best. Fighting song by song is fine. But the sum of the parts = greatest ever.

For me the best track is the trooper, i know is overplayed but damn...that song is a hymn for the band and metal genre in general

I love POM... but as much as I love TTAL, I always felt it sounded a bit out of place with the rest of the record. For that reason, POM isn't my absolute favorite (though it's still a marvelous record).

It's higher for me as well - and the reason is mostly song by song actually. AMOLAD is stronger but has no standout tracks. Virtual XI is weaker but its standouts are awesome.
I think they are "interesting" albums thanks to their flaws, namely:
-VXI: comparatively little inspiration which induced some repetition (TAATG, DLTTEOAS) and a rather short album (8 songs); drumming not as good as usual
- AMOLAD: a lot of ideas but, in my opinion, badly executed (BTASS) and excessively stretched and soaked in keyboard layers (instrumental parts of TCDR, FTGGOG which share the same depressing mood that mars TXF); strained vocals
- Both: comparatively poor openers (I rank them below "Invaders" and "Tailgunner")

That said, it is still Maiden! :) I still like listening to them hopefully, but less than the other thirteen albums.

Both: comparatively poor openers (I rank them below "Invaders" and "Tailgunner")
Well, with Different World, it's certainly a good song, but yeah I rank it below the other two as well. Futureal, however, I'd rank higher than the two you mentioned. Love that song.

And what about Adrian's solo in DW? I mean, H is my least favourite of all the Musketeers, yet I'd put this one among the best Maiden solos ever anyway...

And what about Adrian's solo in DW?
The first phrase (2'41-2'46) is catchy as hell, granted, and I like the third one (2'51-2'56) as well. I don't find the rest of the solo particularly memorable though. In a way, it kind of reflects my opinion on the whole album: flashes of greatness in the middle of a long, average sequence (by Maiden standards).

Last edited:
Here's one for you. Maiden are too loud. As in they sacrifice the nuances in their music when they perform live, in favour of the brain-flaying impact of a colossal wall of sound. It sounds okay on the floor standing towards the front of a venue, it's prone to being crackly and one dimensional everywhere else. I did a couple of videos at the Leeds gig this year, and the sound is bizarrely better with the phone filtering out some of the white noise than it was at the venue on the night.

Going all the way back to the first post, this would actually be mine too. There's big enthusiasm (I think) for SIT around here, but it just doesn't do much for me. I find it kind of a bit 'busy', too much going on for me to take in, and I just shut off eventually. I'd swap Heaven Can Wait for CSIT or Deja Vu, if I was going to pick three.

Listen reaaaaaaaally carefully to every little detail on this entire album and give a few hears, specially in "Stranger" "Loneliness" and "Alexander" I think the amount of work and effort that is this album is absolutely insane

The reunion albums have been mostly bad, except BNW.

Maiden just don't care about their UK fans anymore. They only do tours every 4-5 years promoting a new CD, playing stuff most would rather not hear. US & other Europeon countries got proper tours for SBIT and ME.
Back in the day IM used to play two nights just at the Birmingham NEC, packed with hits.

It annoys me they still get away with this, largely because the press never criticise them because IM sell the magazines for them.

What do you mean? Maiden has had a world tour practically every year since returning with all its OG members

"Iron Maiden" is tough for me to lump into the category of title track, although it is indeed one. To me it almost feels more like a "show staple" rather than an actual song, if that makes any sense.

I agree, All title tracks are "epics" in Maiden's catalog... but this being the very first one it doesn't have that long epic title track that came with every album afte
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I don't think The Clansman is as good as everyone thinks it is. Intro is too Infinite Dream-ish.

Whats wrong with Infinite Dreams...

I can't get into Powerslave as an album. I love a number of the songs on the albums but the album is too samey for me when listening to it all the way through. It just becomes a blur.

However some of their best guitar playing is on this album.

Listen reaaaaaaaally carefully to every little detail on this entire album and give a few hears, specially in "Stranger" "Loneliness" and "Alexander" I think the amount of work and effort that is this album is absolutely insane
I have, I'm still not sold on Stranger or Loneliness, especially when you listen to the album in full and it's just too much brash stuff with no break. Alexander I'm fonder of.

Back