Your Maiden blasphemy

Not sure if it's a popular or unpopular opinion, but I always thought the song "Brave New World" felt half-assed and unfinished. Repetitive, uninteresting chorus, and just an otherwise terribly bland song coming off a rather good album. I imagine it would be an unpopular opinion if you asked the band, since it somehow made it into a couple setlists. :huh:

you know, when I listen to BNW I usually skip the title track half the time or back it up to Ghost of the Navigator a 2nd time...I'll have to admit it's not the most interesting title track that they do...I kind of prefer it when they do epics that are title tracks like 7th son...

you know, when I listen to BNW I usually skip the title track half the time or back it up to Ghost of the Navigator a 2nd time...I'll have to admit it's not the most interesting title track that they do...I kind of prefer it when they do epics that are title tracks like 7th son...

Agreed, easily the weakest title track in their repertoire. No high points, it's a song that just kind of meanders and plods along without doing much of anything. Unfortunate, since I'd gotten used to looking forward to hearing the title track of the album (when it was new), since they'd pretty consistently great up to that point. At least Dance of Death made up for it with a pretty swanky title track of its own.

BNW has grown on me. I still don't think it's anywhere near the level that some hold it to, but it's a decent song.

Worst title track though? That has to be TFF.

BNW has grown on me. I still don't think it's anywhere near the level that some hold it to, but it's a decent song.

Worst title track though? That has to be TFF.

Love both songs. I know I am in the minority on TFF, but I think most people hold BNW in pretty high esteem.

Yea, while the love for it (and the album in general) has seemed to tone down quite a bit around here recently, I remember when I first visiting here (and the official BB )that Brave New World was praised constantly. Was clearly a fan favorite, though I never really got the love.

And a quick look at old survivor results reveal that it was in the top ten early on! I'd wager that it barely missed out on the 2010 top ten.

Last edited:
My least favourite title track is Iron Maiden, although TFF isn't too far ahead of it.

"Iron Maiden" is tough for me to lump into the category of title track, although it is indeed one. To me it almost feels more like a "show staple" rather than an actual song, if that makes any sense.

TFF has grown on me whilst Satellite has dropped off. BNW is an odd one, I don't remember it excessively fondly but when I put it on I often end up thinking it's better than I remember, the chorus can get repetitive but no more so than a lot of other more popular tracks imo.

I have a couple more.
- New Frontier is a good song
- Fear is the Key is also good
- Losfer Words is bad
- Out of the Shadows is the worst song from the 2000's era
- Sea of Madness is the worst song from Somewhere in Time

Very true. Despite Sea of Madness being the worst from that album, it would still probably make my top 50.

Hmm, no, I'd take it over Heaven Can Wait and Stranger in a Strange Land, but then, as per first post, I don't get along with SIT very well.

Not sure it's even that underrated, just a great track. An atmospheric headbanger, like all the best Maiden tracks.

Apart from amongst hardcore fans, it NEVER gets talked about. It's very overlooked even here.

Beethoven's 4th Symphony was once called "a slender Greek maiden between two Norse Gods." The idea is: it's beautiful, but outshone by its more famous neighbors (LvB's #3 and #5 are two of the most famous symphonies ever).

Sea of Madness suffers from the same syndrome I think. Most of us probably only hear it when playing the album, where it's preceded and followed by longtime stage favorites. In that context, good as it is, it comes off as the least memorable song of the group.

Back