Your Maiden blasphemy

I really like JBMG. I don't know about 'better' than the Trooper, but it probably gets more plays from me.

For me JBMG is one of the few maiden songs that suffers from being too short, would have loved another verse or another melody or two

Such a shame they never played Judas Be My Guide live. What a truly amazing song with a huge chorus and top notch guitar work.

Just going to latch on to the Starblind talk here. I also find it massively overrated here. My least favorite of the longer songs from TFF.

Anyways, unpopular opinions, eh?

Back in the Village is a great song.

The production of almost every Maiden album from the 80's with the exception of NOTB and Seventh Son is pretty bad.

Iron Maiden- Very Raw, unpolished.
Killers- See above
NOTB- Great
POM- Muffled out sound, like it was recorded with a pillow on top of the mics.
Powerslave- Album sounds very dry.
SIT- Everything is swimming in far too much reverb.
SSOASS- Great

And I don't care for the production o the 90's albums, either.

I can agree with this. It's definitely unpopular though.

Let me show you how to do a really unpopular opinion:

Starblind is the worst song on TFF by a country mile, and The Final Frontier is the best.

I couldn't agree more! So many people love Starblind, but it always just sounds like an overbusy unlistenable muddled muddy mess of noise. Starblind for me is one of Maiden's absolute worst songs of all time, not just on TFF. While I'm at it TFF (album) is at best slightly better than FOTD and not as good as NPFTD.

The entire TFF album is crap to a degree. With the exception of El Dorado and When the Wild Wind Blows (which I have found a new appreciation for after seeing the live rendition from En Vivo).

I particularly hate Isle of Avalon because of how the song turns out after the cool ambient intro. I hate the rhytmn, the lyrics, the way it's sung, everything. Only the intro is cool.

Iron Maiden- Very Raw, unpolished.
Killers- See above
NOTB- Great
POM- Muffled out sound, like it was recorded with a pillow on top of the mics.
Powerslave- Album sounds very dry.
SIT- Everything is swimming in far too much reverb.
SSOASS- Great

No offence, but if you think the production on Killers is the same as the production on the debut then you're either deaf or mad. Especially if you think TNOTB sounds great; it's only marginally different from the production on Killers really...

No offence, but if you think the production on Killers is the same as the production on the debut then you're either deaf or mad. Especially if you think TNOTB sounds great; it's only marginally different from the production on Killers really...
I disagree. While the production of Killers is obviously better than their debut, I still find it rather muddy and unpolished as compared with the sharp, crisp tone of TNOTB.

One man's opinions. I am in the "Unpopular opinions" thread, right?

I disagree. While the production of Killers is obviously better than their debut, I still find it rather muddy and unpolished as compared with the sharp, crisp tone of TNOTB.

One man's opinions. I am in the "Unpopular opinions" thread, right?

The guitars are a bit thinner on Killers than on TNOTB but it's a world away from the debut. I love the sound of Killers actually.

After now having listened to the whole of TFF in CD quality I am still Starblind to the love for this song. I can make out a lot more going on now I have better quality particularly with regards to the guitar but I still think this song lacks something catchy or memorable to give it some punch. I have a similar problem with Isle Of Avalon, though that song does have a more memorable chorus. These two are a real drag in the middle of an otherwise great album for me.

After now having listened to the whole of TFF in CD quality I am still Starblind to the love for this song. I can make out a lot more going on now I have better quality particularly with regards to the guitar but I still think this song lacks something catchy or memorable to give it some punch. I have a similar problem with Isle Of Avalon, though that song does have a more memorable chorus. These two are a real drag in the middle of an otherwise great album for me.

Isle of Avalon is where the album starts getting good for me. Everything up to that point is weak to average, everything from Avalon onwards is great.

Isle of Avalon is where the album starts getting good for me. Everything up to that point is weak to average, everything from Avalon onwards is great.

Satellite 15...The Final Frontier is my favourite on the album and one of my top 10 overall. El Dorado is alright, Mother of Mercy is a little better. Coming Home and The Alchemist are both awesome.

Oh, another potentially unpopular opinion: To Tame A Land is really not a great song. It's good, but I never go out of my way to listen to it, and it's an earlier and arguably worse case of the painfully over-narrated lyrics that Steve would employ on Alexander.

Satellite 15...The Final Frontier is my favourite on the album and one of my top 10 overall. El Dorado is alright, Mother of Mercy is a little better. Coming Home and The Alchemist are both awesome.

Coming Home's alright. The rest... Not my bag. El Dorado is particularly dump.

Oh, another potentially unpopular opinion: To Tame A Land is really not a great song. It's good, but I never go out of my way to listen to it, and it's an earlier and arguably worse case of the painfully over-narrated lyrics that Steve would employ on Alexander.

I actually agree with this. For me Piece of Mind suffers as an album by having its best songs all in a row at the start followed by a sequence of relatively poor ones.

Agree on To Tame a Land. While it's certainly a good song, it's nothing to write home about. Seems a little disjointed IMHO. Revelations is the true epic of Piece of Mind.

I used to think that as well but now Inthink Tame kicks much ass. They lyrics are clunky tho. Dune? Yeah whatever ;)

I think my main unpopular opinions are:

The Fallen Angel and The Mercenary is better than Wicker Man.

FOTD is a great album. I don't understand the overall hate this album gets. The only song I dislike is Weekend Warrior... and yes, I like The Apparition.

Back