Your Maiden blasphemy

I love the Assassin, most hate it.
I love Mother Russia......no big topics on this tune really and not really a song that people beg for Maiden to play (Unlike Alex the great)

I never understood the hooha over Bring your daughter.....I personally always thought it was a sub-par tune.....only middle part after solo has some feel to it.
How that song became their first number one single I'll never understand!

No, but other singles generally aren't released.

This is why Simon Cowell releases stuff from X Factor each year at Christmas - it's an easy #1, as there's no competition. Except for when people protest and buy tons of Rage Against the Machine songs to piss him off.

So if I've got the story right, Maiden released BYDTTS on Christmas, it turns into a fluke number 1 and now we're stuck hearing this crap song every few tours and seeing it on compilations? Oy vey! 

LooseCannon said:
No, but other singles generally aren't released.

This is why Simon Cowell releases stuff from X Factor each year at Christmas - it's an easy #1, as there's no competition. Except for when people protest and buy tons of Rage Against the Machine songs to piss him off.
They tried doing that with Running Free last year too. Not for the same reason of course, but it was the same idea.
Chartwel said:
NOTB is a song that was so promising but (as I've written elsewhere) degenerates into "oooo, we're spooky and evil." I think it's crap
No that isn't the point. It's based on one of Steve's dreams. Rebellious fans of Metal and Religious nut cases made it seem like that.

Eddies Wingman said:
So do I.

Now this is heresy.

Now, I didn't say it's a BAD song... I really enjoy 2 Minutes, especially for its place in the metal lexicon. But one of their best ever? I wouldn't say that. And that's my heresy  :bigsmile:
Stallion Duck said:
They tried doing that with Running Free last year too. Not for the same reason of course, but it was the same idea.
No that isn't the point. It's based on one of Steve's dreams. Rebellious fans of Metal and Religious nut cases made it seem like that.

Oh, I'm aware of the origin of the song - I'm not critiquing Steve's dreams!  :lol: - but I think the execution is still a bit... cheesy. I think we can all agree that Maiden have their Spinal Tap moments ("and I danced! and I pranced!") and I think this is a big one. I actually think the opening of the song is superb, and it attempts to build to a crescendo, but the chorus is... horrible. I noted on one of the other threads on worst lyrics that I think NOTB has some of them, like Steve's dream providing great verses but he couldn't think of anything to tie them together in a chorus, so we get excrementally bad lines like "6-6-6! The one for you and me!" It's the chorus more than anything else that makes the song so bad.

As a "not really religious nut but a Catholic," I think a song on the Book of Revelations could be incredibly interesting, especially given how good Maiden is on epics. This one, though, leaves me frowning... the fact that "religious nuts" COULD hang their hat on this one meant that it wasn't done well. Could have been more subtle. Could have been better! I cringe when I hear it in concert, because there are so many other classics that they could play. Maybe it's the devil's work  :edmetal:

Chartwel said:
Oh, I'm aware of the origin of the song - I'm not critiquing Steve's dreams!  :lol: - but I think the execution is still a bit... cheesy. I think we can all agree that Maiden have their Spinal Tap moments ("and I danced! and I pranced!") and I think this is a big one. I actually think the opening of the song is superb, and it attempts to build to a crescendo, but the chorus is... horrible. I noted on one of the other threads on worst lyrics that I think NOTB has some of them, like Steve's dream providing great verses but he couldn't think of anything to tie them together in a chorus, so we get excrementally bad lines like "6-6-6! The one for you and me!" It's the chorus more than anything else that makes the song so bad.

As a "not really religious nut but a Catholic," I think a song on the Book of Revelations could be incredibly interesting, especially given how good Maiden is on epics. This one, though, leaves me frowning... the fact that "religious nuts" COULD hang their hat on this one meant that it wasn't done well. Could have been more subtle. Could have been better! I cringe when I hear it in concert, because there are so many other classics that they could play. Maybe it's the devil's work  :edmetal:
Ok the One For You And Me part is cheesy but besides that it makes a good chorus. A very good chorus. I still love hearing it, can't say that about too many other Maiden choruses. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one but I think religious nuts would've put their hat on any song referencing hell like this one. "Well written" or not.

Stallion Duck said:
Ok the One For You And Me part is cheesy but besides that it makes a good chorus. A very good chorus. I still love hearing it, can't say that about too many other Maiden choruses. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one but I think religious nuts would've put their hat on any song referencing hell like this one. "Well written" or not.

Sadly, I think you're right. I think even if the song had been done literally - i.e. based on Revelations, tale of the anti-Christ as it's actually documented, not a fantasy about covens - it probably wouldn't have gone over too well either. Any recourse to "but it's in the bible" would have run on deaf ears!

Agreed on the agree to disagree!  :ok:

(and another reason why I love this forum - everyone is so respectful!! Maiden fans ARE a cut above!)

Chartwel said:
Now, I didn't say it's a BAD song... I really enjoy 2 Minutes, especially for its place in the metal lexicon. But one of their best ever? I wouldn't say that. And that's my heresy  :bigsmile:

Well, that is forgivable. I wouldn't put it in my top 10 either. It clocks in somewhere between 10th and 30th.

Babo 91 said:
bruce is a better singer now than he was in 1982
This is true. As for the basslines, it would help a lot if you could hear them.

I said it once, I'll say it again: Paschendale is most overrated Iron Maiden song ever. It's a great song, but I could name at least 30-40 Maiden songs that are better. I'm shocked to see it beat Powerslave and some other songs in MF March Madness.

I'll probably get bashed for this statement, but nevermind :)

NightProwler666 said:
I said it once, I'll say it again: Paschendale is most overrated Iron Maiden song ever. It's a great song, but I could name at least 30-40 Maiden songs that are better.

I could name at least 30-40 Maiden songs that are better as well, even though Paschendale indeed is a great song.

But overrated? Nah-uh

I couldn't name 30-40 songs. Paschendale is the perfect reunion song, Beating 40 other songs already. It's surely better than anything in the 90's except maybe the odd 2 or 3 Blaze songs. We'll say that is about 25 songs. What you have left is the 80's songs. I couldn't pick 30-40 80's songs that are better than Paschendale. So no, Pasch is still top 10.

Back