Your Maiden blasphemy

There are a few songs I think are quite overrated though I also like them a lot: Rainmaker, Infinite Dreams, Remember Tomorrow come to mind.  Then a few songs I like quite a lot more than the average fan: Invaders, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Futureal, Montsegur, Lord of Light... But, that's about as drastic as it goes for me, and I might be mistaken about the general perception of some of these songs.  Will be interesting to see them once they come up in LC's daily song thread.

I don't really have much love for Brave New World (the album, that is). There are good/great songs, but no real masterpieces. On the other hand we have songs like Dream of Mirrors, The Mercenary, Out of the Silent Planet and The Fallen Angel which make me reach for the forward button. So I'd rank it the worst reunion album.

Also, I think Chains of Misery is quite good song. It seems many have a weak spot for some of the "fun" songs, and mine is Chains.

Mkoh said:
I don't really have much love for Brave New World (the album, that is). There are good/great songs, but no real masterpieces. On the other hand we have songs like Dream of Mirrors, The Mercenary, Out of the Silent Planet and The Fallen Angel which make me reach for the forward button. So I'd rank it the worst reunion album.

It gives me an odd sense of comfort knowing that I'm not the only one who feels the same.  BNW has 2 great songs (first 2) and 2 OK songs (next 2) the rest is utterly forgettable for the most part.  It is by far my least favorite of their recent albums.  I like what that album represents (return of my favorite band) than what it is (patchy collection of songs with cringeworthy repetition).

After that, I'm probably odd in that I like all the overplayed songs.  Run to the Hills, Wratchild, Number of the Beast, Trooper, 2 Minutes are all awesome songs.

The only less than stellar song from the entirety of the 80's is Heaven Can Wait.

Black_Thunder said:
shitty lyrics

To each his own taste and all, but if The Alchemist has shitty lyrics to you, I wonder what you think of or The 2 A.M., Deja Vu, or Age of Innocence?  Not to mention Charlotte the Harlot or Quest for Fire?  Or do you just mean the subject matter of the lyrics is shitty?

I love the lyrics to the Alchemist and the way they are delivered. This is the most old-school Maiden song in 20 years or more.
I think the three who criticized the song are young enough that this doesn't apply; it's more for all the old-timers on the "Play Classics" bandwagon:
Anyone who says the first three Dickinson albums are their favourites and doesn't like this song must be more in love with the memory of Maiden than the real thing.

Invader said:
To each his own taste and all, but if The Alchemist has shitty lyrics to you, I wonder what you think of or The 2 A.M., Deja Vu, or Age of Innocence?  Not to mention Charlotte the Harlot or Quest for Fire?  Or do you just mean the subject matter of the lyrics is shitty?

I don't like the way they are sung - Bruce isn't even trying to reach some high notes. (chorus is fine, though). Unlike in "Deja-Vu" etc. Could you be suuuuuuurreeee?

Some kick-ass note changing, and Davey is beyond awesome there.

I hope you understand.

LooseCannon said:
I find Infinite Dreams to be 100% boring. I can't remember the last time I listened to the song on its own. I skip it during shuffles.

^ This. I don't like Infinite Dreams at all. I`m amazed that it reached Top10 this year.

Flame me if you want, but I like "Virtual XI" album much more than "No Prayer for the Dying" and "Fear of the Dark" album.

And yes I`m a fan of "The Angel And The Gambler".

And "The Final Frontier" is the best Maiden album in my opinion. There isn't a single track in TFF that I don't adore.

Black_Thunder said:
I don't like the way they are sung - Bruce isn't even trying to reach some high notes. (chorus is fine, though). Unlike in "Deja-Vu" etc. Could you be suuuuuuurreeee?

Some kick-ass note changing, and Davey is beyond awesome there.

I hope you understand.

Black_Thunder said:
I meant that I don't like the way the lyrics are sung.

Yeah, that makes more sense, even if I don't agree with you.  Thanks for clearing it up.

mckindog said:
Anyone who says the first three Dickinson albums are their favourites and doesn't like this song must be more in love with the memory of Maiden than the real thing.

Piece of Mind and Powerslave are my 2 favorite Maiden albums (NoTB is #4) and I think The Alchemist is the worst song on TFF. To me El Dorado is the obvious successor the mid-80s era. In my opinion, The Alchemist (and many of the 2000-current era short songs) seem a bit half-assed.

Another blasphemy of mine: I think that Killers is Maiden's worst album, and I can't stand some of the songs, like Innocent Exile, Purgatory and Twilight Zone, and partially Drifter.

90s-music.jpg

Greatest decade ever.

I thoroughly enjoyed The 4 years of the 90's that I lived in.

I love Can I Play with Madness and IM is one of my favorite albums! I don't care for Moonchild, The Clairoyant or SIT album. I like Wasted Years and HCW but as an album I think it's not as good as the others in the 80's.

Back