Your Maiden blasphemy

Stallion Duck said:
I couldn't name 30-40 songs. Paschendale is the perfect reunion song, Beating 40 other songs already. It's surely better than anything in the 90's except maybe the odd 2 or 3 Blaze songs. We'll say that is about 25 songs. What you have left is the 80's songs. I couldn't pick 30-40 80's songs that are better than Paschendale. So no, Pasch is still top 10.

As I've said before, I think that Paschendale is a damn good song. But yeah I think that the whole X Factor album (minus Blood on the World's Hands and Judgement of Heaven) is better than Paschendale.

And I wholeheartedly agree with the guy who said that Dance of Death is the perfect Maiden reunion song

I really don't like Dance of Death. Just the line " I danced and I pranced" just kind of kills it for me. Plus the melody of the last 3rd of the song sounds like some kind of fiddle hootnany bullshit. I put it in the same catagory of Quest for Fire or Chains of Misery.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I've never understood the fuss about the whole 'Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son' album. To me, it was the album that prompted me to stop being a die hard Maiden fan back in the day. I was shocked when they released 'Can I Play With Madness', it was simply the worst single. And also the rest of the album isn't the real thing at all. I don't like the production (guitar sound) on the album and there's no Maiden album containing worse guitar solos. I still consider 'No Prayer For The Dying' the better album, to date.
Oh, and what the hell is so bloody special about 'Starblind' then? I just don't like that song as well as 'Isle Of Avalon'. 'The Final Frontier' would be so much better without them.

Cosmiceddie said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I've never understood the fuss about the whole 'Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son' album. To me, it was the album that prompted me to stop being a die hard Maiden fan back in the day. I was shocked when they released 'Can I Play With Madness', it was simply the worst single. And also the rest of the album isn't the real thing at all. I don't like the production (guitar sound) on the album and there's no Maiden album containing worse guitar solos. I still consider 'No Prayer For The Dying' the better album, to date.

I think that wins for blasphemy. Although, I kind of agree that 7th Son is overrated - it's too patchy for my tastes, from the incredible high of The Clairvoyant to the bottom (IMHO) of foreshadowing-2000s-era-Maiden-repetitive-chorus Evil That Men Do. I agree that NPFTD is underrated, but I think it sacrifices in brilliance what it makes up for in consistency. Basically, the highs on 7th son are higher than the average from NPFTD. So I'll take the spottiness of 7th Son, but just by a whisker!

It was further confirmed in the song ranking thread bearing it's name but I can't stand Dream of Mirrors.  It's pretty much tied with Angel and the Gambler as my least favorite Maiden song. 

Otherwise, a bunch of crazies here but that's OK.  It would be boring if everyone loved or hated the same exact things.

Alexander The Great is rubbish. SIT is a great album, but Alexander the Great is a sleep-inducing epic! No hooks, tunes or decent riffs to get into. Plus the lyrics are a bit pants. Yet for some reason, people love it...  <_<

2 Minutes to Midnight I don't really like much. Its okay, but I find it a bit boring.

Piece of Mind is a great album up until the Trooper. After that the album is dull.

The Final Frontier is bloody awful album, but I assume I'm not the only one who thinks this?

Come to think of it, all the reunion albums are crap compared to 1982 - 1988 era. They have a few good songs on each album, but the amount of boring filler is unbearable.

I think that's enough blasphemy for one day!  :D

Teddie said:
Alexander The Great is rubbish. SIT is a great album, but Alexander the Great is a sleep-inducing epic! No hooks, tunes or decent riffs to get into. Plus the lyrics are a bit pants. Yet for some reason, people love it...  <_<

Oh testify

Teddie said:

2 Minutes to Midnight I don't really like much. Its okay, but I find it a bit boring.

Piece of Mind is a great album up until the Trooper. After that the album is dull.

The Final Frontier is bloody awful album, but I assume I'm not the only one who thinks this?

Come to think of it, all the reunion albums are crap compared to 1982 - 1988 era. They have a few good songs on each album, but the amount of boring filler is unbearable.

I think that's enough blasphemy for one day!  :D

I disagree with almost all of these. I love all the reunion albums besides dance of death, which is one of my least fave albums. The other 3 would all make my top 7 or so.

I have a confession to make..Piece of Mind is one of my least favorite Maiden albums.  The greatest songs on that album are way better when done live, Still Life I don't care for, and Sun and Steel and Quest for Fire sound way too goofy and happy to me.

That being said, when I do put the album on, I listen all the way through and still love it, as I do all Maiden albums.  But i'll take X Factor over it anyday, along with any reunion album.

ADDENDUM:  BTW, this topic is really good, and fairly unique, which is hard to accomplish on these boards.

Sounds like Teddie needs to listen to more Piece of Mind, discover the plethora of riffs and hooks in Alexander and realize Maiden still rules.

Teddie said:

Well, I disagree with this statement at least...I definitely think the four reunion albums are my four favourite in a stretch. TFF is still getting plays every day or two at my house, and scarcely a half-day goes by without me listening to the "Giants of Metal" playlist on my iPod (which includes four reunion-era tracks and only three non-reunion era tracks for Maiden).

While I think Paschendale is awesome, I don't care for the guitars in the verse.

*Hides*

To name a few:

-I think Hallowed Be Thy name is overrated (still a great song, just not the best ever).
-I don't like Alexander the Great.
-I think Rime of the Ancient Mariner, while it has its high points, is too long for normal listening and not an amazing song.
-Chains of Misery wasn't terrible.
-I think that Somewhere in Time is a sub-par album.
-The Prisoner is a far better rocker than Run To The Hills.

Also... *deep breath* Piece Of Mind was a dull album without a single standout song and a few terrible ones, and I don't think When The Wild Wind Blows is anything special.

Looking back, that was a very negative list. I'll try and think of some more positive ones.

It should be noted that mckindog is actually a moderator sock; everyone who blasphemed against Paschendale is now banned.

:ninja:

LooseCannon said:
It should be noted that mckindog is actually a moderator sock; everyone who blasphemed against Paschendale is now banned.

:ninja:
I take it my opinion on the verse is consensus then?  :D

Back