Your Maiden blasphemy

3. Adrian's solo is truly one of a kind here. It sounds so different than his usual stuff. Sounds 'bluesy' or something? I lack the ability to find a better description for it.

The brilliant thing about that solo is that H manages to use so many different sounds and techniques, yet it all blends together perfectly. It starts with a standard Maidenish guitar melody, then it gets really bluesy, then there's a complete neoclassical section, and then some quick shredding. It's awesome.

The brilliant thing about that solo is that H manages to use so many different sounds and techniques, yet it all blends together perfectly. It starts with a standard Maidenish guitar melody, then it gets really bluesy, then there's a complete neoclassical section, and then some quick shredding. It's awesome.

As a guitar player who occassionally slows songs down to analyze notes better, I found that when doing this to Wickerman it suddenly showed how amazing it all sounds, especially the Adrian solo. After the first few bends and notes, the sequence that follows is ..or sounds like an all different type of scale I'm not used to hearing. I love the different sounding notes you hear blended together.

Reactions: jcv
Did you just say "shredding"? :huh:

H doesn't shred. That never happened.

I guess it's not technically shredding, he's playing really fast triplets high on the neck but he's picking every note. To me that's shredding because my right hand can't move that fast! :D

As a guitar player who occassionally slows songs down to analyze notes better, I found that when doing this to Wickerman it suddenly showed how amazing it all sounds, especially the Adrian solo. After the first few bends and notes, the sequence that follows is ..or sounds like an all different type of scale I'm not used to hearing. I love the different sounding notes you hear blended together.

That's most likely the short neoclassical section and it's really really cool. You don't normally hear stuff like that in Maiden.

It's the one starting at 2:38

The section starting at 2:38 is mostly a modified blues lick with some added notes. I'll admit it took me a really long time to get the exact phrasing down for the part that comes after the first bend. Here's a pretty good breakdown of the whole solo:

The Wicker Man is one of the greatest Maiden tunes ever, let alone reunion songs. The vocals are incredible, the chorus and outro are huge, and it features my absolute favorite Adrian Smith solo of all time.

When looking at it critically people are keen to say things like, "the riffs are simplistic, etc. etc.", but come on, folks: go back and look at songs like Sanctuary, Running Free, Run to the Hills, Flight of Icarus...none of it was any more complicated than Wicker Man.

Dude , I really liked some of your posts lately. Why are you spoiling it now?!Can't argue about the solo though. It is epic.

The section starting at 2:38 is mostly a modified blues lick with some added notes. I'll admit it took me a really long time to get the exact phrasing down for the part that comes after the first bend. Here's a pretty good breakdown of the whole solo:

Great video I'll say.
So which part is the neo-classical bit? The final part of the solo?

I think it is a downright shame that Maiden have not played Flight of Icarus with the reunion line up. For me it ranks right up there with the disappointment of not getting Infinite Dreams (Don't get me wrong I would love to see Alexander the Great live as well, but they will never do it. It didn't get played on the Somewhere in Time tour so by Maiden rules it won't be played ever). They could play it whenever of course, but they had two prime opportunities to do it with the Early Days and Somewhere Back in Time tours and sadly they didn't. I know Steve thinks the studio version is too slow but check out the video below and listen to how rocking and godly it is. Now imagine it with a third guitar. Great stuff :)

Alexander is awesome but is pretty long so the fact that were doing Rime of the Ancient Mariner probably ruled that out, I mean they never played Seventh Son either.

Was watching 12 Wasted Years earlier and Paul's performance of Charlot the Harlot was amazing...
So visceral and raw, but then that was always his strength.

DOD is the only Maiden album with a song written by Nicko on it...
New Frontier (Mcbrain/Smith/Dickinson)...
Nicko composed the bulk of the song on Steve's acoustic bass.

Iron Maiden has to play alot more from the X-Factor and Virtual XI live, maybe even a tour just spanning from 95-'06 period

Back