2. The Trooper
3. Where Eagles Dare
4. Flight Of Icarus
5. To Tame A Land
6. Die With Your Boots On
7. Sun And Steel
8. Still Life
9. Quest For Fire

This looks like I mesmerized Still Life, but I didn't. Every song on POM is awesome!  :)
Hmm. Mine would be something like this:

1: Revelations
2: Still Life
3: Where Eagles Dare
4: The Trooper
5: To Tame A Land
6: Flight Of The Icarus
7: Die With Your Boots On
8: Sun And Steel
9: Quest For Fire

I love all of them except QFF.

My Piece of Mind rankings just to be clear-

1.  Revelations
2.  The Trooper
3.  To Tame a Land
4.  Where Eagles Dare
5.  Still Life
6.  Flight of Icarus
7.  Sun and Steel
8.  Quest For Fire
9.  Die With Your Boots On

mikeljames said:
I like also this type of songs,

1. Revelations
2. The Trooper
3. Where Eagles Dare
4. Flight Of Icarus
5. To Tame A Land
6. Die With Your Boots On
7. Sun And Steel
8. Still Life
9. Quest For Fire

Thanks
You're welcome.

As bands go I think Maiden are just about perfect. All the members are excellent on their instruments and the songs are normally about subjects that are much more interesting than those most bands would attempt.

Every so often, though, amongst lyrics that are usually highly literate, there appears a grammatical error that can be jarring for a pedant like me. At least, they seem like errors to me; some of them may just be clumsy or awkward phrasing. Sometimes these happen in songs that I really like, but luckily the music normally prevents it from ruining the whole track.

Consider:

"Torches blazed and sacred chants were praised" ('The Number of the Beast')

"Praised" is a verb that takes a direct object, meaning you can't just say "He praised", you have to say "He praised something". In this case, what is it that is being praised? It appears to be the "sacred chants", which is a very odd thing to say. Clearly I'm being pedantic, but isn't there something a little bit wrong with that sentence?

"Killing on a scale to comprehend" ('Mother of Mercy')

The verb "comprehend" means to understand or to include. Perhaps the meaning that is intended here is "Killing on a scale too huge to comprehend", but that isn't what it says. As it stands, the meaning of the line is a mystery to me.

This next one isn't really a mistake, I don't think, but it's always struck me as a clumsy phrase. Fully expecting to get mildly flamed for this, here it is:

"Hard to stop the surmounting terror" ('Hallowed Be Thy Name')

The usual phrase is "mounting terror". A google search for "surmounting terror" gives results that consist almost entirely of lyrics for 'Hallowed Be Thy Name', and a few links here and there for other things which I wouldn't mind betting have been put together by people who know the song. Essentially, this phrase pretty much only appears in this song. So, marks for originality. It makes sense too, in the sense of terror that overpowers or goes beyond or gets on top of the narrator. It just jars because it sounds so similar to the usual phrase that it sounds like the lyricist has got it wrong. Fair enough if you're James Joyce or some other "safety pun factory", but experimenting with language in that way doesn't seem to be a feature of the rest of the song, so it sounds out of place.

I should say that these are three of my favourite Maiden songs. 'Hallowed Be Thy Name', especially, which does it for me every single time I listen to it. I expect I may be the only person who gets (mildly) bothered by things like this, but like I say, when a band does so many things right, it's easy to forgive small linguistic oddities like these.

harris will often sacrifice lyrics to keep the melody intact. those three songs were wrote by harris.

"all of my life now i have believed, judgment of heaven awaits for me"

the now should be taken out for it to make sense

"do more in my life than some do in ten"

doesn't really make sense either. some would do in 10 would make better sense but its another example of harris sacrificing the lyric. WTWWB is littered with stuff like this.

Bruce's lyrics flow much better in my opinion. pure poetry in most cases

Quest for Fire is a good song.
Whole no prayer album is awesome, love the differnt mood on the album in songs like the Assissin, Public Enema number one etc.
These colurs dont run isn't so good, the worst on the album, while the Pilgrim is one of the bests on the album
Gates of Tomorrow is a great song, but ofcourse not as good as the epics on the album
When two worlds collide is a great song, the best song on the album.(live the clansman is best)
There are no fillers on Powerslave, just great songs and even more great songs which overshadows the great ones.
Coming home is the worst track on the new album, kind of boring and slow, and it isn't close to being as good as Bruce Solo ballads like Tears of the dragon and Omega, like some peoples says.

It might not be in my top 10, but it must not be that good if it isn't in a top 30.

I really don't like 2 Minutes to Midnight that much, I also think Where Eagles Dare is a good song - but overrated. Until recently I didn't think the NOTB album was all that and I preferred songs like Invaders and 22 Acacia Avenue to the more "popular" songs from the album like Run to the Hills and the title track. Other than that I think i'm a fairly "regular" Maiden fan in that I agree with the general opinions of most of their songs, some of the opinions here are really interseting however and it shows how varied Iron Maiden are in that two fans can completely disagree with one another on one issue yet still both think that Maiden are the greatest band ever!

Batman said:
It might not be in my top 10, but it must not be that good if it isn't in a top 30.

Mainly because of the riffs - too heavy, and not catchy. It could qualify for my worst from CW. The other songs are godly and overshadow it easily.

I've been a Maiden fan for over 20 years and I seem to be one of the few who still likes Run to the Hills.  Sure, it's not my favorite song in the world.  But I do get a kick out of seeing the crowd (ie, 99% of whom don't post on Maiden forums) go crazy for it live.

I think the two worst songs on 'The Number of the Beast' are '22 Acacia Avenue' and 'Children of the Damned'. Also, I never get tired of 'Run to the Hills'.

'Somewhere in Time' is the weakest 80s Maiden album.

MaidenCanada said:
I think the two worst songs on 'The Number of the Beast' are '22 Acacia Avenue' and 'Children of the Damned'.
I'm pretty sure that is 3.  ;)

Also The last two are awesome :rocker:

I wish to retract my previous statement about Alexander The Great. After having listened to it more and more, I fucking love this song  :shred:

I apologise for my previous blasphemy.

When I started listening to Maiden, I hated Aces High, Die With Your Boots On and Holy Smoke (I remember saying to a friend who liked it: "Holy Smoke is rap!" :bigsmile:).

When AMOL&D was released, I couldn't listen to it in its entirety, because the songs were too long. I used to put them in WMP playlist, and sort them by their length (from the shortest to the longest) :D

I had a tough time with AMOLAD. Back when I heard it for the first time I didn't like long songs too much. Now I love them!

Donner said:
I've been a Maiden fan for over 20 years and I seem to be one of the few who still likes Run to the Hills.  Sure, it's not my favorite song in the world.  But I do get a kick out of seeing the crowd (ie, 99% of whom don't post on Maiden forums) go crazy for it live.

I'm also one of those few - the driving nature of the song, coupled with the scream and the subtle low harmony in the chorus make it a winner. IMHO, run to the hills is the short rocker that they wanted to do with Paul D but couldn't because he wasn't up to it. It's the perfect bridge song from Killers-era Maiden to Bruce-era.

I suppose it may be considered blasphemous that I prefer their debut album to both Killers and The Number Of The Beast... well, maybe not the Number, but I still think that it's an overrated album.

Back