Your Maiden blasphemy

I think most of the 80s epics are bit overrated. Phantom and Hallowed are all-time greats (although both only really came to life live), and Rime and SSOASS are good songs, but they're both a bit overlong and musically not that interesting. To Tame A Land and Alexander the Great are both decent, but not great.

I think they could've been good songs if they had been given more time to really come together. They both have a bunch of good parts and some amazingly tasteful playing, but the lyrics and arrangements aren't really up to par. In comparison Rime and SSOASS are very good lyrically, even if Seventh Son has that annoying repeating chrous, but they fall a bit short on the actual composition side.

The first 5 Brave New World tracks suck, compared to the last 5. Blood Brothers is a specially dull song with a dull solo that's just a repetition of main melody plus some lick variations. Jan keeps great sustain but that's about it. Wicker Man is a patchjob of different stuff (main riff is "borrowed" from Futureal and solo parts from Road To Hell), GOTN has stupid lyrics and doesn't work - the chorus could be covered by Celine Dion - BNW is great until first chorus and then it becomes way to repetitive and there's not a single new melody in the song after that point, except for the 3-part harmonic that ends the instrumental, and like BNW Mercenary starts off well and energetic but loses its focus in the repetitions.

The "meh" Brave New World proceeds for some seconds, and right after that stupid Dream Of Mirrors operatic intro ends, we're in for the real album.

DOD is my favourite ever Maiden album :).

:applause::cheers:. Yes yes yes! Dance of Death is soooo underrated. The blasphemy around here is how the poor production and funny looking cover art characters influence the overall album. Even if subliminal.
Every song is excellent IMO. My view is DOD, PFD, and FITS are the best reunion songs. They are SO great that the other songs on the album seem to some average or (cringe) below average.:blink: Pucky. I also have Rainmaker in my top ten reunion list. So 4/10 songs in top 10. = best of reunion and reeling in Powerslave as 2nd favorite ever..

Cover doesn't influence but the sound does. And lyrics too, where people have problem with New Frontier and Age of Innocence because they clearly reflect a single point of view, which is exactly what Maiden isn't about.

Best Maiden song ever was created more than 40 years ago, with uncredited contributions by several ex-members. It's called Phantom Of The Opera.
Is this blasphemous?

I actually like the ideas behind those lyrics, I think they're pretty clever. The major problem there is the awkward phrasing and rather poor execution.
I actually think the opposite - I love the songs because while as lyrical works they're nothing special, the execution makes them great.

Best Maiden song ever was created more than 40 years ago, with uncredited contributions by several ex-members. It's called Phantom Of The Opera.
Is this blasphemous?
Here's something blasphemous:

This cover of the title track to the musical The Phantom of the Opera is better than the Maiden song.

I actually think the opposite - I love the songs because while as lyrical works they're nothing special, the execution makes them great.
Sorry, I think my post got a little confusing. I meant poor execution of the lyrics. I actually love the instrumental work on both those tracks!

The Assassin and Fates Warning are easily the best songs on NPFTD.

Fates warning is criminally undervalued indeed. "A volcano erupts and sweeps a town away..." that part gets me every time. Not the greatest chorus ever I'll admit. Like most songs on the album, a little more polish and this song could have been really great. ...

Back