Worst Iron Maiden Song

Some days could be worse when discussing on Maidenfans. Today I agree with three intelligent women on the previous page:
Maybe not every song, but I agree that most of the songs on No Prayer are better than The Wicker Man.
I find the No Prayer album to be very underrated
Natalie on Sara's take on Wildest Dreams (I find Wildest Dreams the weakest opener):
Yeah I disagree 100% with this. :p

@Foro: It's nice to finally find someone who seems to love No Prayer as much as me, and thanks for your comment. :) ... Even though you don't like "Wildest Dreams"! lol :p

I actually find The Wicker Man awesome. NPFTD as an album just really grew on me, and I think I get tired of The Wicker Man sometimes. I still think it's one of the best live songs by any band ever, though.

Wildest Dreams is good every once in a while, but I usually skip it along with three or four other songs on Dance of Death.

Of the "reunion" era, I think Different World is the best song of the opening tracks, but The Wicker Man is the best opener, if that makes sense. As a standalone track, Different World is better, but as an opener, The Wicker Man just kicks ass.

I think both "Wildest Dreams" and "Different World" are better openers than "The Wicker Man", not only because I prefer them as individual songs, but because they are more energetic. I find "The Wicker Man" to be a bit pedestrian in comparison, as it lacks the fire of the other two songs. People reading my last few posts in this thread will probably think that I dislike "The Wicker Man", which isn't the case at all, I just feel it's a little overrated, and is not intense enough to really make it a great opening track.

It's bizarre how things change over time, I used to rather like Different World but now it's the lowest of the reunion openers for me. 'Remembering' Wildest Dreams I tend to think of it as nothing special but while it's playing (particularly if through headphones!) I adore it, that guitar tone on the opening notes grabs me so well! I think it's a little cheesy (although part of that comes from not being able to hear it without thinking of the video) but I still rather like it. TFF has grown a bit but something still feels wrong for me, I think perhaps too simplistic and whilst I think Satellite 15 is quite cool at the outset I'm starting to think that is what is dragging TFF (track) down for me.

Wicker Man currently is higher on my rankings than Aces High but they are certainly my top 2 openers. Sign of the Cross doesn't feel like an opener to me - I tend to think of the Maiden openers as being very punchy, some things can work for concert openers without that but are still 'iffy' for me (CSiT for example) - but as a first track on the album that would be high up... .... ..... if it was Bruce version.

Quest for Fire is probably the worst song in the Maiden catalogue. There are many songs that could compete for that title, but the lyrics in this makes it the standout for me. The fast melody of Don't Look To The Eyes of A Stranger combined with the worst drumming of Nicko McBrain on a record ever or the endless repetition of The Angel and the Gambler also needs to be mentioned.

I listen to very little of 80's Maiden today. Listening to the studio version Aces High makes me nervous as hell. Nicko's drumming is so hilariously stressed and Bruce is struggling so much to hit the notes that the only thing that saves the band is a good production (for that time). Massively prefer the improved, the vastly improved musicianship of later works.

I've never been able to understand why people hate Quest for Fire. I find it quite decent overall and the solos and guitar harmonies - absolutely lovely. It's not the only song with unconvincing lyrics but I just take the lyrics as they are and enjoy the song.

The way Bruce enters the song, and his use of falsetto is pure parody-material. As is Nicko's drumming on Aces High. Doesn't matter how good anything else is, that's the only thing I hear.

I could never dislike QFF because not only is the guitar cool as hell, that last note that Bruce hits (B4?), "Discovery of maaaaaan," is one of my favorite notes Bruce has ever hit. That's the very definition of resonance right there.

Quest for Fire is a pretty good song. The main riff, melodies and solos are awesome, I also don't care for the falsettos and the infamous starting line but they have so many worse songs.

I agree with you The Flash and Ariana (yes, I can agree with some of your posts:D ) : Quest for Fire is more than decent. When I listen to, say, Flight of Icarus, that generally gets positive comments, I cannot help noting that QFF has a better riff( in fact, Flight has no real guitar melody) great vocals and better solos. Yes, the lyrics are not that good, but I assume they shoudn't be taken to litteraly. Do you remember this movie with a gorgeous Rachel Welch (One Million Yeard B.C.) ? Quest for Fire is a kind of musical equivalent to this. Steve beeing a self professed huge fan of Hammer movies, and this one beeing released in 1966, he must have seen it. Looking at Welch, he lost his mind (who wouldn't?), and took the facts depicted for granted. As for Maiden worst song, I don't hesitate a second : Bring your Daughter is the most horrible thing I've heard on a Maiden record, closely followed by Hooks in You.

Ah, yes, it was co-penned by someone you appreciate a lot ;) . Well, I like that song pretty much, but I think that it is not a muisical masterpiece : a good rocker and great to sing along live. Is that enough in terms of repetance? :notworthy:

Back