Worst Iron Maiden Song

I'll be honest I do like Out of the Shadows, its just When I sat down and listened to the album or the first time, I just felt like Out of the Shadows just didnt stand out.
All the others songs were just, how do i put this? Better.
I Like the song now but its still the weakest on the album.

Worst Maiden song for me by a long way is 'Quest For Fire'.
Any song that starts: 'In a time when dinosaurs walked the Earth' deserves to be shot at birth!
There are other weak ones but none quite as mind numbingly awful as that one.

THAT... and the catchy chorus... are actually the best things about this song!
It reminds me of a time when Rock and Metal wasn't so damn uptight and restrictive.

Regarding the original question of "Worst Iron Maiden" song --
I suppose I would judge that by which song I'd be most embarrassed to play with somebody else in the room.

Even if you hate the "time when dinosaurs walked the earth" lyric,
at least you could share a chuckle about it with another person.
:lol:

However, the chorus to THE ASSASSIN literally makes me cringe whenever I hear it,
regardless of whether or not anyone else is in the room ... so that probably gets my vote for worst song.

Granted, the band does have a handful of songs that are absolutely worthy of skipping --
but this may be the only song that genuinely embarrasses me when nobody else is around.

hmm... I haven't listened through the entire Virtual XI album in awhile, though.
:rolleyes:

Why Does everyone hate the Assassin?!?! I love it, Yes the lyrics are simplistic. But its still a good Song, and the Guitar is Awesome. f
From " I watch the way you move" in that part the guitar just gets so epic My jaw drops every time, and the lyrics kind of get to you and you feel like you are the Assassin that Bruce is Describing so awkwardly.
Assassin 9/10

Worst Songs under a 6 By year
Twlight Zone 4/10
Invaders 6/10
Gangland 2/10
Quest For Fire 2/10
Flash of the Blade 6/10
Holy Smoke 5/10
Fates Warning 5/10
Hooks in You 3/10
Fugitive 3/10
Chains of Misery 6/10
Apparation 2/10
Weekend Warrior 2/10
Look for the Truth 4/10
2 AM 2/10
Angel and the Gambler 4/10
Dont Look to the Eyes of a Stranger 1/10 WORST SONG BY MAIDEN
Como Esatis Amigos 3/10

Why Does everyone hate the Assassin?!?! I love it, Yes the lyrics are simplistic. But its still a good Song, and the Guitar is Awesome.

It's not that they're simplistic. They're just illogical.

"Better watch out cos I'm the assassin."

Some assassin you are. You're warning your prey that you're an assassin and to watch out.

Oh, and Como Estais Amigos is gorgeous. And Holy Smoke is awesome.

Personally I like the lyrics to Holy smoke
"Till the TV queen gets her make-up clean
I've lived in filth, I've lived in sin
And I still smell cleaner than the sh*t you're in"
I just cant stand the guitar, it annoys me
But Como Is just Plain Boring. I cant stand listening to it once through.

It's not that they're simplistic. They're just illogical.

"Better watch out cos I'm the assassin."

Some assassin you are. You're warning your prey that you're an assassin and to watch out.

Wait a minute. I don't think this shouldn't be taken too literal as spoken words. The lyrics give a look into the mind of an assassin. These are thoughts. Harris dove into the assassin's perspective.

E.g., lots of people were watching out for Jack the Ripper and the fear of people certainly might have attributed to his excitement. Excitement which is described well in these lyrics.

More in The Commentary:
http://www.ironmaidencommentary.com...ommentary08_npftd&link=albums&lang=eng#track6

Wait a minute. I don't think this shouldn't be taken too literal as spoken words. The lyrics give a look into the mind of an assassin. These are thoughts. Harris dove into the assassin's perspective.

E.g., lots of people were watching out for Jack the Ripper and the fear of people certainly might have attributed to his excitement. Excitement which is described well in these lyrics.

More in The Commentary:
http://www.ironmaidencommentary.com...ommentary08_npftd&link=albums&lang=eng#track6

Whether it be out loud or in his mind, it still doesn't make sense. The whole song sounds to me like a literal explanation of how the assassin carries out his deeds. This might sound like a weird comparison, but it reminds me of Alexander the Great. The lyrics lack depth and creativity, and they don't even feel like they match the song. To the song's credit, though, the lyrics do get better toward the end, which can't be said about Alex. :p

I rather like The Assassin and its respective album as a whole, but lyrically? It just doesn't click for me.

Dont Look to the Eyes of a Stranger 1/10 WORST SONG BY MAIDEN

Sad. I disagree quite vehemently. I'd be the first to admit that it suffers from a certain amount of repetitive-itis (as does the rest of the album). But it is a great chorus and some of the build-up is pretty awesome. And by great, I just mean I love the melody.

Anyway, the Iron Maiden song that I dislike the most is Wildest Dreams. I actually deleted it from itunes, I dislike it THAT much. Its incredibly generic, I don't like the melody, the subject matter is meh...it just sucks all around imo. The best part about it is the Eddie with a top hat featured on the single cover and in the video clip. That Eddie is fancy.

Other Maiden songs with very low scores for me are:

Sanctuary (3/10)
Another Life (3/10)
Twilight Zone (3/10)
Drifter (2/10)
Quest For Fire (3/10)
The Duellists (3/10)
Tailgunner (2/10)
Fates Warning (2/10)
The Assasin (3/10)
Fear is the Key (3/10)
The Apparition (2/10)
The Angel and the Gambler (3/10) [Although the single version would have a much higher score]
Gates of Tomorrow (3/10)
The Alchemist (3/10)

Wildest Dreams has a score of 1/10.

Exactly.

@Natalie, that's a lot of songs.
If I'd be in that situation, I could only enjoy 6 Maiden studio albums (Beast, Time, Son, X, World & Matter).

First of all, that list of studio albums you gave does reflect pretty accurately my favorites. Second, no one was saying anything about the relativity of bad. The worst Maiden song (Wildest Dreams in this case) is still better than most other drivel out there. Third, luckily we're two entirely different people and one or two songs or even three mediocre songs (by Maiden standards) is not enough to destroy an entire album for me; I enjoy all Maiden albums (to a greater or lesser extent), but when I listen to music I listen to individual songs first and foremost, not the album. There are only very few albums that I will want to listen to in their entirety in one sitting (Operation Mindcrime is one of them) as opposed to picking and choosing favorite songs off of an album to listen to.

Time for another medal of boredom.

Second, no one was saying anything about the relativity of bad.
Does it matter? I thought I can esteem well enough -from what you said in the past- how bad you find these songs.
That is: Very, very bad. Unless you were exaggerating when slagging those songs off. Or unless you enjoy shitty songs.
Third, luckily we're two entirely different people
1. I don't think we have a clue about each other, but yes I feel we certainly have a different level of tolerance towards music.
2. luckily?! :uhm:

and one or two songs or even three mediocre songs (by Maiden standards) is not enough to destroy an entire album for me

Depends. Do you skip these mediocre songs?
If you do not listen to mediocre songs (by whatever standard), they do destroy an entire album because you don't play the album (playing 5 or 6 songs instead of all album songs is not playing an album, it's playing 5 or 6 songs).
Not playing an album = not enjoying an album.

So you don't enjoy listening to many Maiden albums. Your last sentence confirms this pretty much.
Unless willing to listen to an album has in your view nothing to do with enjoying that album.

Nothing wrong with that, just an

Yeah I said luckily cos if we were all the same in this world and liked all the same things it'd be pretty boring. ;)

I'm not sure what you're taking exception to here. I listed the 14 songs that have the lowest ranking in my estimation of the Iron Maiden discography. Compared to other Maiden songs, I don't like them much. As you say, willing to listen to an album and thoroughly enjoying an album are two different things for me. I'm perfectly willing to listen to any Iron Maiden album any day. It isn't torture. It's fun. But am I going to take time out of my day to listen to any random Iron Maiden album all the way through? Highly unlikely. I'm going to type in "Iron Maiden" on my itunes and then hit "play" with "shuffle" on. Sometimes, I even limit Iron Maiden to 4 and 5 stars and hit shuffle (thats still a lot of songs, the majority I would say except those 14 songs I listed).

I suppose it comes down, once more, to a difference in definitions, and several logical fallacies that arise from these differences. In my world, if an album is 10 songs and I like 6 songs off of that album and the rest are ok, then I enjoy that album. Just because I don't play an album from start to finish doesn't mean I don't enjoy that album because that would imply I don't like anything off that album. Plus, as I said, its rare for me to play entire albums through in a sitting. I much prefer to play a playlist or shuffle.

I listed the 14 songs that have the lowest ranking in my estimation of the Iron Maiden discography. Compared to other Maiden songs, I don't like them much. As you say, willing to listen to an album and thoroughly enjoying an album are two different things for me. I'm perfectly willing to listen to any Iron Maiden album any day. It isn't torture. It's fun. But am I going to take time out of my day to listen to any random Iron Maiden album all the way through? Highly unlikely. I'm going to type in "Iron Maiden" on my itunes and then hit "play" with "shuffle" on. Sometimes, I even limit Iron Maiden to 4 and 5 stars and hit shuffle (thats still a lot of songs, the majority I would say except those 14 songs I listed).

Am I deducing correctly from this text that The Fugitive has 4 stars? 4 out of 5? ;P

Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger is a decent song, but is backed by some of the most boring drumming i've ever heard. It makes Lars look like Neil Peart.

Anything with Blaze i do not like at all.....sorry, just wasnt Maiden to me.....not sure what was up with the choice of him for a singer.....also anything from No Prayer for the Dying......once Adrian came back basically things started to get back on track, just think of Wickerman!.........just sayin

Funny...I'm looking at my copy of The X Factor and it says Iron Maiden on it...and I checked my copy of Death on the Road and there's totally a song there from this album...coulda sworn it was Iron Maiden.

LOL, understood! just aint Maiden to me.......just my opinion....guess i am bit old school and just cant get into Blaze..........not the same caliber of singer to me.

also anything from No Prayer for the Dying......once Adrian came back basically things started to get back on track, just think of Wickerman!.........just sayin

To me, every song on No Prayer... (except maybe "Hooks In You") is better than "The Wicker Man"! Then again, I am in a tiny minority of Maiden fans who actually loves that whole album, so there you go! lol However, it was amazing to hear an Adrian Smith solo on a Maiden track again, so I loved hearing that when that single first came out. xD

Back