Worst Iron Maiden Song

WARNING: this post may belong in the "Your Maiden Blasphemy" thread. ;)

Do you think there are particular spots on an album that are so critical for songs that we may be too severe on them?
e.g "Invaders" may be a rather disappointing opener but when compared to, say, middle-of-the-album fillers such as "The Duellists" or "The Prophecy", it sounds much greater at once.

Last edited:
I stopped reading when I saw this shit. :down::p
:eek:

Duellists and Prophecy are great songs, Invaders is the real filler of those three.
Hence my initial warning. :)

EDIT No, good songs have good choruses, lyrics and vocal melodies, and I think both "The Duellists" and "The Prophecy" are even worse than "Invaders" in these departments. ;) Consolation prizes: "The Duellists" has a captivating instrumental break and "The Propecy" has a nice outro.

Last edited:
Never understood The Prophecy love and The Apparition hate. Both sound like attempts at "something different", both mostly failing and both sounding more or less like attempts at "prog" and terrible ones at that (well, then again, they made it just right on The Legacy). Both are enjoyable in their own way, but nothing I'd come back to very often. I just don't see why would someone love one and shit on the other.

Prophecy and Apparition sound like regular old fashioned solid Maiden songs IMO. I wouldn't classify either one as prog. Prophecy builds wonderfully to the quintessential 80s era " Bruce belting it out" chorus. Apparition builds nicely to the instrumental section. Neither one of them deserve the hate/neglect that they get.

I get the point Black Bart is making, though, and I agree with him. However, I’ll still defend “The Duellists” here - Powerslave’s four middle songs aren’t quite as well constructed as its four outer songs (though some of them are actually better) and they seem to let people down. It’s a weird way to construct an album but hey, I love it anyway. They deserve more love.

I'd call The Duellists filler, The Prophecy reasonable and Invaders reasonable filler, but that's just one opinion out of many and both songs have their positives and negatives.

Mother Russia sounds like an obese Kublai Khan trying to shake off a clingy shite while squatting, fighting off mosquitos and trying to appease a Soviet delegation at the same time.

And Janick is at least only rudimentary here, but Davey mostly sounds like a bumblebee flew into his pants as well.

Back