Worst Iron Maiden Song

I can't really say which is Maiden's worst song to me, because I've never thought about it. I try not to focus on negative things and ranking those that I like less is a thing I would never spend time on. So I can't say which is the worst song, the most boring solo or which one has the worst lyrics. On the other hand, I find it equally hard to select my all-time favourites, because every time I think I like something the most, I start coming up with others that I love just as much.

ATG's music is great. The lyrics? Not so much. Although the chorus is pretty catchy.

I really haven't had trouble ranking the Maiden songs at all. The Apparition is my least favorite Maiden song, Hooks in You, The Angel and the Gambler and Gangland follow.

I reiterate everything I said in post #56 on this thread. In sum, for those too lazy to hunt for it (and because I'm too dumb to figure out how to link it): the chorus of "Fortunes of War" is really, really, REALLY awful. No matter what other merits that song may have, the chorus just kills it for me. Unlistenable, which I can't really say for any other Maiden song.

I think the criticism of "Quest for Fire" is off base -- some of the lyrics are silly, but not nearly as bad as "To Tame a Land" on the same album, and I think the song has a nice little hook and, as noted, good solos. Plus, hearing it makes me think of Rae Dawn Chong naked.

I can't really say which is Maiden's worst song to me, because I've never thought about it. I try not to focus on negative things and ranking those that I like less is a thing I would never spend time on. So I can't say which is the worst song, the most boring solo or which one has the worst lyrics. On the other hand, I find it equally hard to select my all-time favourites, because every time I think I like something the most, I start coming up with others that I love just as much.
Wow, what a cop-out!! :p

Call it a cop-out but I really can't be bothered to sit down and waste time trying to figure out what my Top 10 least favourire songs are or what my Top 86 favourite tracks are, when they are going to be different in a week anyway.

I think the more you listen to a song, the more you tend to like it even if you didn't like it to begin with. So as Maiden stans, we listen to their songs enough that even their worst song becomes likable.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Your theory is way off for me. I probably have listened to the Apparition for about 500 times and I still think it's awful.

That only happens to me if I'm hell bent on it being a bad song (i.e. I hate GN'R's cover of "Since I Don't Have You," and though I've listened enough to it that it probably has grown on me enough to like it, I still intellectually think it's an awful song... and an even worse music video if that's possible).

I tend to try and listen attentively to a song five times without bothering too much wether I like it or not. After that, if I don't like it, it's definitively, and I don't try again. So, Kill Devil Hill, what you wrote looks really strange to me.

I tend to try and listen attentively to a song five times without bothering too much wether I like it or not. After that, if I don't like it, it's definitively, and I don't try again. So, Kill Devil Hill, what you wrote looks really strange to me.

That's the problem: you don't try again. I'll listen to it a few times and say, "I'm not feeling this," but because I'm a Maiden stan, I'll leave it on my iPod, and it'll pop up on shuffle on occasion, and then the song starts to grow on me, and after 200+ random listens on shuffle, I'll start to like it. So a song that I hated 3 years ago could conceivably become a top 10 favorite.

I think that's true of ANY song one dislikes initially. And that's why pop music is so successful. You hear the same song over and over again, and though you may deny it, eventually you start to like it. You might continue to call it a bad song, but you can't help singing along.

With all due respect, I don't think five spins is remotely enough to issue a fair judgment.

Yea there's a ton of instances where a song I didn't like at all becomes a favorite. Sometimes it takes over a year for the song to grow, so I keep giving songs a chance here and there. Now there is stuff I've known for years, like Weekend Warrior, that I've given enough tries that I'm pretty sure it'll always be a song I can't stand.

I think that's true of ANY song one dislikes initially. And that's why pop music is so successful. You hear the same song over and over again, and though you may deny it, eventually you start to like it. You might continue to call it a bad song, but you can't help singing along.
With this in mind, I kinda enjoy that Gangnam Style song.:ahhh:

Yea there's a ton of instances where a song I didn't like at all becomes a favorite. Sometimes it takes over a year for the song to grow, so I keep giving songs a chance here and there. Now there is stuff I've known for years, like Weekend Warrior, that I've given enough tries that I'm pretty sure it'll always be a song I can't stand.

With this in mind, I kinda enjoy that Gangnam Style song.:ahhh:

I like Ke$ha's new song. :dancinggeek:

I reiterate everything I said in post #56 on this thread. In sum, for those too lazy to hunt for it (and because I'm too dumb to figure out how to link it): the chorus of "Fortunes of War" is really, really, REALLY awful. No matter what other merits that song may have, the chorus just kills it for me. Unlistenable, which I can't really say for any other Maiden song.

Fortunes of War is one of my favourites. The chorus is cool. It may not sit perfectly with his voice, but it's cool.

Back