Worldwide album sales

Well all I can say is the shows I’ve seen since the AMOLAD tour haven’t featured a single song from the album. There was no songs on any gigs I saw on the final frontier tour or the book of souls tour. Seems like they did play a couple of tracks in the first leg of the final frontier tour but dropped them by the time they hit the U.K. in 2011.

Yeah, they did play a couple of songs off AMOLAD in 2010 and that leg including a headlining festival gig in the UK (and what a cracking gig it was!).

True, but Metallica gigs are much rarer in Europe, or at least Germany, than in the US.
Since the millennium Metallica US tours have been few and far between. In fact, you could say that about any non-festival touring in the US and Europe for them. They toured Europe loads between the last two albums so all the US fans moaned but they only really did festivals. Unlike Maiden Metallica don’t seem very comfortable doing ‘normal’ shows without an album to support.

Well all I can say is the shows I’ve seen since the AMOLAD tour haven’t featured a single song from the album. There was no songs on any gigs I saw on the final frontier tour or the book of souls tour. Seems like they did play a couple of tracks in the first leg of the final frontier tour but dropped them by the time they hit the U.K. in 2011.
The 2010 tour was reunion era focussed whilst the 2010 tour was new album focussed.

It wouldn't surprise me if Maiden had sold more than Metallica taking out the US.
It is known that Metallica is a band that is huge in the US and have sold a great deal of the records there whereas Maiden is much more distributed worldwide.

Besides, maybe Metallica also plays bigger venus worldwide, but it doesn't mean they sold more records.
For example in Argentina most people I know who go to Maiden venues are real fans who buy the records.
Metallica has lots of casual fans who won't buy it.

Maiden fans are special and very loyal worldwide. It is one of the few bands that sells more with each new record even though there are less sales everytime because of internet in the music business.

I think the Maiden demographic is more inclined to buy more of the albums than Metallica fans. Metallica have had three of their ten albums accused of being terrible whilst Maiden have sixteen albums, only two of which are anywhere near those Metallica albums in terms of perception.

Maiden could very well be ahead of Metallica, if you take out North America. I'd bet that Maiden is more popular than them, at least in Europe. Lars Ulrich is a NA merchant.
I don't know, my gut feeling is Metallica seem to play bigger venues than Maiden in the rest of the world as well as USA, or if they both play similar sized venues Metallica have an easier time selling them out, which would suggest more album sales. Of course, I've no actual data for this it's just a feeling.

I also think Maiden's figure for sales in the states is way too small, which is also skewing the figure for Maiden in "worldwide minus usa". Only 7 million in total considering how long they've been going, how many tours they play and the size of the venues they play, it doesn't seem anywhere near big enough a figure.
True, but Metallica gigs are much rarer in Europe, or at least Germany, than in the US.
Here in Brazil, at least, Maiden are much bigger than Metallica. They're better known, I think they sell more records, and the buzz surrounding an upcoming Metallica concert, for example, is nowhere near as big as the buzz surrounding a Maiden one. Sometimes more casual fans don't even know Metallica is playing here, whereas with Maiden even non-metal fans end up hearing about.

The X Factor is a masterpiece compared to St. Anger and Load, Reload.
I have personally never heard much of the two Blaze albums but I imagine they are mostly better than the trashing they receive. I was just going off general views as Load is a great album and Reload and St Anger have their moments.

Why are Maiden more popular than Metallica in Brazil?
No clue, but they're definitely more popular here. I remember I went to a record (not just metal) store around here, when Maiden released The Book of Souls, and it was selling in spades, it was all over the place. A year later, when Metallica had just released Hardwired... To Self-Destruct, there was still a fair amount of available copies of TBOS (which was already a year old) in the store, and almost none of Hardwired. Maiden T-shirts are also extremely popular around here, anywhere you go you'll find at least one person (and that is, if you're out of luck) wearing one. I'd go as far as to say they're treated like gods around here (to the extent, in some cases, that you're not allowed to even criticize them).

In most Latin America Iron Maiden are bigger than Metallica, above all in Brazil.
In Argentina Metallica is bigger counting casual fans who go to the concert because they are a famous band, but among the metal public Maiden is bigger.

It's a masterpiece full stop.

Many people would disagree with this statement. :)

I like the album, but to me it is definitely not a masterpiece. That being said, compared to some of the Metallica albums mentioned above, it is a masterpiece! :lol:

Back