World War II: The European Theatre as told by heavy metal songs

Are you joking ? First Panzer Battalion is a semi translation of Panzer Abteilung, the base unit for all german heavy armour during WWII.
Second, the word Panzer in itself gives an orientation.
Third, there is a several clear mentions of the East, i.e. Russia or the eastern front.

"An armoured battalion on course to the east
Has reached the end of it's march
Armoured tanks of mass destruction
Killers in the east"

Last, the lines cited below are a clear reference to nazi ideology

"An armoured battalion on course to the east
Closing the end of it's march

This time we're here to finish a job
Started a decade ago

Driving the animals out of their holes
To bury them 6 feet below
Armoured tanks of mass destruction
Killers in the east
Rats
who dares to stand before us..."

Quite afew clues I would say. But I don't mean they actually ARE nazis.

Hah, you can find clues in every song, if you want to see them. You conveniently took out the parts of the lyrics that prove your theory wrong - what about the SAM sites? Yes, they may all be songs about war, but this song is about Operation Iraqi Freedom and the Americans.

Well, harris, I get you feelings about these 6 day war lyrics (I opened that can a while back in the Sabaton topic). It feels like they pay tribute to a certain side and I find it a bit controversial (both the topic but also because this "history" is still very actual).

I don't know the meaning of SAM. But if they really had used the word "Panzer" to refer to US tanks, then every discussion on their lyrics is pointless. And I didn't "conveniently took out the parts of the lyrics that proved [my] theory wrong" : I cited those that I thought could help understand the meaning of the song.

Well, harris, I get you feelings about these 6 day war lyrics (I opened that can a while back in the Sabaton topic). It feels like they pay tribute to a certain side and I find it a bit controversial since this "history" is still very actual.
I get you. I, myself, had to re-write my first comment before posting it, because its formulation was not really neutral.

There was something that Joakim said in a recent interview that really holds true here - it's all perfectly fine and dandy when they write a song from the point of view of the Allies, but all hell breaks loose if they dare to present the point of view of the Axis. The winner takes it all, I get it. But forever? Come on, this is absurd!

I get you. I, myself, had to re-write my first comment before posting it, because its formulation was not really neutral.
It can be argued that they "only" sing the song from the Israeli perspective. But they really are into it a lot. Scares me a bit. They also met and paid tribute to the Israeli soldiers when going to that country.

A song about the Chechen–Russian conflict through the eyes of the Russians wouldn't feel that different. But they'll never do that in the same manner, because then they'd really loose popularity in middle/eastern Europe.

I guess that this fits better in the Sabaton topic. @harrisdevot If you like, check this out:
http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/sabaton.22876/page-8

Imagine the shitstorm that would ensue if they wrote a song from the emotional perspective of a suicide bomber or kamikaze pilot...

I don't know the meaning of SAM. But if they really had used the word "Panzer" to refer to US tanks, then every discussion on their lyrics is pointless. And I didn't "conveniently took out the parts of the lyrics that proved [my] theory wrong" : I cited those that I thought could help understand the meaning of the song.

SAM - Surface to Air Missile. Wasn't used until the late 1950s.
Alternately, Society of American Magicians, which was founded in 1902.

Or Southern Annular Mode. One of the teleconnections that influences climate variability in the southern hemisphere.

Systolic anterior motion - an abnormal motion of the anterior mitral valve into the aortic outflow tract caused by asymmetric septal hypertrophy.

Back