Sabaton

Fact based? No political stand?

June '67 taught them respect
Traitorous neighbors, received as deserved

Alright, you could say that the soldiers thought like this, but who instructed them, who told them? Politicians, propaganda machines.

It's true. June '67 didn't teach Syria and Egypt respect. I believe that was the Yom Kippur War.

But seriously - if you're going to write a song from the perspective of one side, you can't stop the song midway to put a disclaimer in. This is no more controversial than Ghost Division being about a unit from Nazi Germany. And while you make a valid point, that the Arab-Israeli conflict continues, the 6 Day War itself is long since over. All wars have effects that are felt today - some lesser, some greater - and many of our old conflicts continue in one form or another.

Maybe if the Arabs had any sort of smashing military victories over Israel, Sabaton would sing about that instead. Unfortunately, they keep getting shellacked, so it's really not anything they'd be interested in.

Tracklist:
01. Night Witches
02. No Bullets Fly
03. Smoking Snakes
04. Inmate 4859
05. To Hell & Back
06. The Ballad Of Bull
07. Resist & Bite
08. Soldier Of 3 Armies
09. Far From The Fame
10. Hearts Of Iron

We already heard Far From The Fame and it's nothing special.

1904221_10152259103829868_341007804_n.png

Did they forget to erase a vocal track on that tape when they recorded it? :huh:

It's okay. I don't find anything special in the verses, but the chorus is fairly standard Sabaton fare.

This war was more than 40 years ago, but it is so connected, or even integrated in the current political situation.
And the war was full of controversies. It can even be argued that it might not have been a counterstrike. Also, in the light of recent Israeli politics, I find Israeli bootlicking a dumb thing to do.

I find it very difficult to argue that this is in any way more controversial than, let's say, Sabaton playing Attero Dominatus or The Final Solution in Berlin, Ghost Division in France, The Price of a Mile in Belgium, and so forth. Does it make a difference if it was 40, 60 or 80 years ago?

Having said that, you are postulating that it is an objective truth that Israel's policy is wrong, that they are oppressors and that the Six Day War should have been one by Jordan, Egypt and Syria. There are certainly a lot of people who would agree with you, but there are also many that would disagree. Why is it suddenly wrong to "bootlick" Israeli fans, but doing the same to Polish (40:1, Uprising), Greek (Coat of Arms) or Norwegian (Saboteurs) is alright? I don't get it.

Sabaton "bootlick" Scottish and Welsh fans as well by using the separate flags for those tour dates on their website but English and Northern Ireland dates get the Union flag. We'll see about that in September!

They were in Israel. They have a song that involves Israel. So they played it. The UK will probably get Back In Control.

I bet the Argentines are going to hate that as much as Maiden waving the Union flag during The Trooper.

What difference does it make what particular conflict it is?

Back