World War II: The European Theatre as told by heavy metal songs

No. But I might print it out and post it on my wall as a reminder that something like this must never happen again.

It must be a German thing. You start something in good spirit, it spins out of control and in the end all the guilt and shame rests on you forever.
Never Forget: 6/5/2014

There is the Finnish band Winterborn .... 1939 Overture and Winter War about the Soviet invasion of Finland and the Continuation War .. which are both pretty good songs as well .. and Nazi free!

Bumped and updated. Now here's a question: What do I do with stuff like Marduk who have panzers unleashed throughout their songs in a clearly WW2 environment without any specific historical connection in the lyrics?

@Perun, are you familiar with Blue Oyster Cult's ME262?
The granddaddy of all WWII metal songs:

Goering's on the phone from Freiburg
Says Willie's done quite a job
Hitler's on the phone from Berlin
Says, "I'm gonna make you a star"

My Captain Von Ondine is your next patrol
A flight of English bombers across the canal
After twelve they'll all be here
I think you know the job

They hung there dependent from the sky
Like some heavy metal fruit
These bombers are ripe and ready to tilt
Must these Englishmen live that I might die
Must they live that I might die

In a G-load disaster from the rate of climb
Sometimes I'd faint and be lost to our side
But there's no reward for failure, but death
So watch me in mirrors keep in the glidepath

Get me through these radars, no, I cannot fail
While my great silver slugs are eager to feed
I can't fail, no, not now
When twenty five bombers wait ripe

M.E. 262 prince of turbojet
Junker's Jumo 004
Blasts from clustered R4M quartets in my snout
And see these English planes go burn

Well, you be my witness, how red were the skies
When the fortresses flew for the very last time
It was dark over Westphalia
In April of '45

Junker's jommo 004
Bombers at twelve o'clock high

Last edited:
Hi all,

Brandnew here. I came across this page because I was looking for more songs about WWII (any genre of music, but more so, Metal and Prog Rock/Metal).
But also; Warbirds, Pilots, the Air Theatre (mainly WWII, Korea, Nam and so on) for a Memorial Day post on my Fb page.

My hobbies back in the day were creating "Concept Cassette Tapes" where I'd mix-in Sound FX, dialogue and more within and between tracks. With the
coming computers/mixing programs and modern audio, I got lost in it a bit :p. But I delved into my profession as a Conceptual Designer/Storyboard Illustrator.
I burned "Themed" CD's and added SFX/Dialogue etc. "between" tracks when I owned my 1st computer.
Unfortunately my CD/LP collections have been in storage for 5 years because of my living situations, so I have had to listen to my collection, songs of the past,
classics and new music on YOUtube (or the few CD's I have bought throughout each year).
But, I have now created quite a few themed playlists on various topics with all types of music, some have specific genres as well.

I have 2 lists that may be of help on this thread dealing with War and Soldiers specifically (and its various "opinions"), my 1st playlist created has grown since
creating it about 4 years ago (features all types of music - though it starts very heavy, then mellows out as the songs about peace end it):
"!!!WAR!!!": https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2DU3TBNutEfBMjpCODRSm4wcxfw9iqTj
(note: I often find tracks deleted, so I do my best to replace them. So if you see any, let me know, I'm
in the process of replacing a few right now 5/29/16).

And this playlist that was born from the above, called "Hymn to the Soldier" specifically about Soldiers that I created last year (2015):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2DU3TBNutEfChdwBZrDC_7fAB8acydir

So, I thought this year I'd celebrate the pilots in War. I have a small list but it was nice to find 2 that I didn't know about. I'll post after I have placed the songs in
the right sections for flow.
I usually find that I know about more war songs than the sites I do searches for (for more songs), but you guys mentioned many I know about and many I don't :).
I'll ask you good folks for more on my "War Bird" playlist, so don't post any yet till you see my playlist (still debating to add songs about Hiroshima/Nagasaki but
they are on "WAR").

BTW - are there any songs about "Helicopters/Pilots" from Vietnam to current conflicts?

I hope my War & Soldier playlists has some tracks for you guys to use.

Up the Irons!

- MAVIII

Last edited:
I must teach my Grade 11 (called Grade 2 here in China) something about WWII to help them prepare for their history exam next month so I will try to include part of either Aces High, Tailgunner, or The Longest Day in the lesson. I will also back it up with a little of Saving Private Ryan and Patton. I ran it by my students, different teachers, and my boss and they all love my idea. I think Tailgunner would be great because it talks about the bombing of Dredsen

Last edited:
af30684e-49d5-49cf-8927-15e8c432b8df

smile3521.gif

Back in the early nineties I set up my teacher (English) to secretly teach people Iron Maiden. :)
I tried a little of that in a subtle way in my Bach to Beatles Class and a music class when I was taking drum lessons in 1997. My teacher was cool so he allowed me to play Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath sometimes and most of my classmates were cool. Now its a bit of the opposite; I secretly teach Iron Maiden to my students in the form of a Halloween lesson and now the history lesson about WWII which I'll be doing this Tuesday. Yes, I will be playing Churchill's Speech from the Aces High Intro and part of Aces High. Too bad classes are only forty five minutes long because then I can play the entire song

I know I'm bumping, but I've updated it a bit for meself - expanding it worldwide:

Added
Maiden: Run Silent, Run Deep
Sabaton: Midway, The Ballad of Bull and Nuclear Attack.

Also some non-specific (or not too specific) songs - Sabaton: Far from the Fame, Unbreakable and The Last Dying Breath.

But then again, I've kept only Maiden, Sabaton and Blaze/Bruce in. Not in a death/black metal mood currently.

Also, how about Accept's Stalingrad (the song) - I never paid too much attention to the lyrics, but it might be suitable.

Also worth mentioning might be
Razorwyre - Operation Market Garden (pretty self explanatory)
Stratovarius - Gotterdammerung (generally about Hitler)
Angel Dust - Enlighten the Darkness (a whole album about a German soldier who joins the resistance)
Dark Lunacy - The Diarist (again, a concept album about a woman who writes a journal douring the siege of Leningrad)

Back