World War I & II topic

On the west side of the Razendo Bol, a Dutch sandbar in the North Sea, near the island of Texel, a probably English submarine (type E36) was found. Maritime researcher Hans Eelman said that he had discovered the shipwreck on sonar images. Eelman suspects the vessel is from WW I. The submarine would have sunk in 1917 after a collision in the neighbourhood of Texel. The shipwreck is lying on a depth of 8 meter. Eelman takes account with the possibility that the 50 meter long submarine still has torpedoes on board.
LocatieTexel.png

s00793.jpg

Eelman: ,,On a map of the German Kriegsmarine from 1939, with edits until 1945, on this position a depth of 2,5 meter is given. A submarine of the size as this one can't have travelled there around that time, so we have to think of WW I.’’

Last edited:
Tons of WWI diaries are being digitilized. 1.5 million pages up so far

Link to Diaries
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/war-diaries-ww1.htm

Link to story
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25716569

Diaries from British soldiers describing life on the frontline during World War One are being published online by the National Archives.

Events from the outbreak of war in 1914 to the departure of troops from Flanders and France were recorded in official diaries of each military unit.

About 1.5 million diary pages are held by the National Archives and a fifth have been digitised so far.

The project is part of the government's World War One centenary programme.

Each unit in World War One was required to keep a diary of its day-to-day activities.

The first batch of 1,944 digitised diaries detail the experiences of three cavalry and seven infantry divisions in the initial wave of British army troops deployed in 1914.

Diaries from soldiers in the First Battalion South Wales Borderers portray the anxiety and terror of the opening days of the war in the battles of Marne and the Aisne.

They also reveal accounts of tug of war, rugby matches and farewell dinners to mark the end of the fighting.

A private war diary kept by one of the First Battalion's soldiers, Captain James Paterson, has also been digitised.

Captain Paterson died on 1 November, some six weeks after an entry said the scenes he witnessed were "beyond description".

"Trenches, bits of equipment, clothing (probably blood-stained), ammunition, tools, caps, etc, etc, everywhere. Poor fellows shot dead are lying in all directions. Some of ours," he said.

"Everywhere the same hard, grim, pitiless sign of battle and war. I have had a belly full of it."

The UK must have an odd definition of "public records" since they want to charge to download them ... I get charging for a physical copy, but a download? WTF is that

Austerity measures, at a guess, trying to claw in every bit of money they can because the department's funding has been cut so drastically. Either that or part of it, such as the archiving, has been privatised, and the company running it will charge a fortune to use its services.

Wish I'd seen this a couple of days ago when I had an exam on "modern political history". Would've gotten at least two more questions right :(

Back