Ronald Ernest B Burr
Birth Date: 17 Oct 1925
Date of Registration: Dec 1982
Age at Death: 57
Registration district: Newham
Inferred County: Greater London
Volume: 15
Page: 1696

So if the age at death was 57, he died on or after 17th October 1982! Thanks a lot for this Robert,.

What a late registration. This works very different in my country.
no not late. Timely registration is the law here in the UK as elsewhere. The exact dates of death, where he was living, who recorded his death and the death date are in the death certificate along with the date of registration of the death.

What a late registration. This works very different in my country.

Currently all births in England, Wales and Northern Ireland must be registered within 42 days of the child being born. https://www.gov.uk/register-birth/overview

However, I guess things were different in the 1940s. The priorities in England in late 1947 were probably not to register things immediately after birth; post-war it was necessary to rebuild the country...

Currently all births in England, Wales and Northern Ireland must be registered within 42 days of the child being born. https://www.gov.uk/register-birth/overview

However, I guess things were different in the 1940s. The priorities in England in late 1947 were probably not to register things immediately after birth; post-war it was necessary to rebuild the country...
no they were not. The civil indexes list the births, marriages and deaths in quarters not actual dates. You need the certificate for any more info which is fully recorded therein.

I don't make that immediate relation. Or well... not yet. Couldn't Clive have gone home before his dad died? Staying a while, saying goodbye, and while he was back with Maiden, his father died? Must have been terrible.
It is logical that he went back after his father died, but then we need other info to make sure when that was. 17 to 23 October is not two weeks. Something is not in order, or at least it isn't as easy as 1+1=2.

no they were not. The civil indexes list the births, marriages and deaths in quarters not actual dates. You need the certificate for any more info which is fully recorded therein.

I stand corrected then!

On a side note, a colleague at work found the 42 day period to register the birth of his daughter quite useful, as they only agreed on the name at the very last minute! :lol:

I don't make that immediate relation. Or well... not yet. Couldn't Clive have gone home before his dad died? Staying a while, saying goodbye, and while he was back with Maiden, his father died? Must have been terrible.
It is logical that he went back when he died, but then we need other info to make sure when that was. 17 to 23 October is not two weeks. Something is not in order, or at least it isn't as easy as 1+1=2.

The text you have provided mentions Clive flying back to the UK after the sudden death of his dad! ;)

I am starting to think that Clive's recollections of what happened around that time might be somewhat blurred...

Remember:
I found these pictures:
1982-10-22_f.jpg

lineup1982-6.jpg

.. telling us that Nicko was not playing with the band on 22 October 1982. Clive had returned. The question remains when. :)

This gig has a bootleg recording* so if someone has it, the playing style could be compared with any bootleg Nicko might be playing on.

*It's one recording, made at Brendan Byrne Arena / East Rutherford, New Jersey – USA
usa-newjersey.gif
usa.gif

on 22nd October 1982.

And it was issued in three different bootleg formats:
EAST RUTHERFORD 22.10.1982
NEW
JERSEY '82
EAST
RUTHERFORD

Hmm, we could contact that magazine and ask how sure they are (or Clive was) about that period. I'm still not ruling out other sources who could say if he indeed when back after Ronald Burr died.

...and it seems completely awkward for Clive to visit his father in terminal condition, but goes back to work while he's having his last breath.

Alright, the article says Ronald Burr died unexpectedly, so Clive must have gone afterwards. I'm still puzzled by the short period he might have been away (the contrast with the article). If that's true it means that the band/Harris decided in no time that Nicko was the new man. Makes the story even more dramatic.
Get the death certificate from the registrar. That will give you the facts. No need to speculate.
Good idea.

Alright, the article says Ronald Burr died unexpectedly, so Clive must have gone afterwards. I'm still puzzled by the short period he might have been away (the contrast with the article). If that's true it means that the band/Harris decided in no time that Nicko was the new man. Makes the story even more dramatic.

Well, you are assuming that it was decided in no time. Perhaps Steve had been pissed off with Clive's performance for a long time and thought his replacement could be much more reliable...

I feel sad for Clive being fired, but there is no denying that Nicko added something to the Maiden sound that allowed Steve to explore new musical paths.

You're right. The atmosphere seemed to be good early September, and the playing was good too (Reading) although Clive still might have been getting used to his new kit. Who knows what happened after Robert left. At least Clive didn't see a change in atmosphere until he returned from the UK (I find it hard to believe that he lied about that or could have forgotten that).

On the drumming: personally, I haven't heard Clive making obvious mistakes. I know that Steve could have judged this way better, but if anyone would point me out to a recording with an unstable Clive, I'd like to hear it myself as well (if only to have more respect for the decision).

Last edited:
Back