Why did Steve Harris fire Clive Burr ?

Or anything else, as long as it makes more sense and fits to what really happened. At least the death of Clive's father could be mentioned and the fact that Nicko filled his shoes around that time.

It's a shame that there isn't more of this interview. Particularly the beginning since it seems to cut in directly when talking about Clive. At least Nicko seems to explain here that Clive "had some problems at home" Which could have been the death of his father, "and decided he wanted t get out of it for a while" and then Nicko quickly mentions that he formed Stratus after that, so it must be Clive he's talking about.

It's possible that when Clive seemed less than 100% into the band (because of his father's death or other things) that Steve started to look into other drummers because Maiden were at the peak at this time and Steve wasn't gonna jeopardize it.

100% Clive in New York 2 October 1982

100% Clive in Philadelphia 12 October 1982.

We're probably closing in more and more towards September 1982.

Last edited:
On the picture with Nicko in it both Nicko and Dave are wearing Trooper artwork tour shirts. So it must be a falsely labeled picture. It's most likely from the Piece of Mind tour.

Thanks guys!
@lira just provided another pic from the same date. :)

14303838_10210525125424031_2015162029_o.jpg

This might be important to narrow down the scope once again!

1 September 1982 - 19 September 1982

13 gigs in 19 days. Within these 19 days, 14 days (or around that number) Nicko could well have been playing the drums!

According to the Maiden Commentary bootleg page, these are the gigs within the scope. If anyone knows another concert and/or bootleg source (ead666 is offline I'm afraid) that would be helpful to see if there are any differences:

01-Sep-1982 Los Angeles, California – USA
Long Beach Arena
Maiden supported Scorpions.

03-Sep-1982 Sacramento, California – USA
Memorial Auditorium

Bootleg setlist accoring to IMCommentary:
-Hallowed Be Thy Name
-Phantom Of The Opera
-Iron Maiden
-Drifter

04-Sep-1982 Oakland, California – USA
Coliseum
Memorial Auditorium

Bootleg setlist accoring to IMCommentary:
1-The Number Of The Beast
2-22, Acacia Avenue
3-Hallowed Be Thy Name
4-Iron Maiden
5-Drifter
(NOTE: not reliable info in relation to next post plus info on 18 July Oakland bootleg called Blackout Oakland which has the same tracklist).

05-Sep-1982 Reno, Nevada – USA

07-Sep-1982 Boise, Idaho – USA

09-Sep-1982 Seattle, Washington – USA
Coliseum

11-Sep-1982 Portland, Oregon – USA

12-Sep-1982 Portland, Oregon – USA

14-Sep-1982 Saint Louis, Missouri – USA
Kiel Auditorium
Maiden supported Judas Priest.

15-Sep-1982 Kansas City, Missouri – USA
Municipal Auditorium

16-Sep-1982 Lincoln, Nebraska – USA

17-Sep-1982 Minneapolis, Minnesota – USA
Metro Center

19-Sep-1982 Rockford, Illinois – USA

We could try to do the following:

- Search for reviews from these gigs. Googling on place (and/or venue) name and "iron maiden".
- Search for bootlegs from these gigs.
- Search for setlists from these gigs.

Last edited:
On a final note, I suggest you to listen the September 4th, 1982 Oakland bootleg. Only 6 songs and some different drum hitting style in my opinion.
Re. Oakland bootleg. That could be Nicko. By the swing of it. Sadly the cymbals are very muted in the recording.
Not sure what @Zare has heard but the show @lira had provided me seems to be the same as the 18 July gig in Oakland. Run to the Hills starts the same as the clip @SixesAlltheway shared in September 2015. The tracklist on the Maiden Commentary from the July bootleg is exactly the same. And at the end of The Number of the Beast Bruce says: "We were in a place the other day in downtown LA called Anaheim", and yes indeed, Maiden played Anaheim on 17 July!

This would mean that at this moment:
- we have no photos from the 1-19 September range
- we are not aware of (but may not have searched yet for) concert reviews in this range
- we have no audio (no bootlegs!) from this range

Keep hunting!

Last edited:
Yes, that's the only bootleg we are aware of at the moment. It would be more logical to have Nicko in September rather than in this month. One day earlier this happened:
Sounds like Clive. So tight on Beast (I can hear that too on the Oakland boot) and his typical pattern on Hallowed. And the 4th and 30th of July Clive is mentioned (see Somewhereonline post from today, 6:54 pm). In theory it's possible that Nicko filled in for Clive in between these gigs but sounds less likely. There might be another July boot to get more sure.

Btw Foro, when I said that Oakland boot sounds like Nicko, it maybe that YT upload is 'Version 2', which per Ead666 is recorded at slower speed. It does sound awkward at times. Especially HBTN which was played way faster, made me believe that it was Nicko (he plays HBTN slower and with different patterns)

That 4 song bootleg from Sacramento is said to be of a decent audience quality. I'm about to spend couple of days on DC++ to update my collection with TBOS pro boots, I'll keep an eye for this one too.

Btw Foro, when I said that Oakland boot sounds like Nicko, it maybe that YT upload is 'Version 2', which per Ead666 is recorded at slower speed. It does sound awkward at times. Especially HBTN which was played way faster, made me believe that it was Nicko (he plays HBTN slower and with different patterns)
I heard it too. Slower than usual. Must be something with (the playback of) the recording.
That 4 song bootleg from Sacramento is said to be of a decent audience quality. I'm about to spend couple of days on DC++ to update my collection with TBOS pro boots, I'll keep an eye for this one too.
That would be excellent. Since I do not trust that September Oakload bootleg info (looks the same as July Oakland bootleg info (Blackout Oakland); and the bootleg files I heard are from the same gig as in July), the Sacramento bootleg is probably the only known recording from the 1-19 September 1982 range. Thus: Possibly the only recording with Nicko when he temporarily replaced Clive, so most valuable for our mission!

Last edited:
01-Sep-1982 Los Angeles, California – USA
Long Beach Arena

03-Sep-1982 Sacramento, California – USA
Memorial Auditorium

04-Sep-1982 Oakland, California – USA
Coliseum
Memorial Auditorium

05-Sep-1982 Reno, Nevada – USA

07-Sep-1982 Boise, Idaho – USA

09-Sep-1982 Seattle, Washington – USA
Coliseum

11-Sep-1982 Portland, Oregon – USA

12-Sep-1982 Portland, Oregon – USA

I had a chat with an insider yesterday (he was with Maiden when they were supporting Scorpions the first week of September) and he told me that Clive was still very much there. He also mentioned that there were growing issues of party time behaviour and Harry was displeased.

Is it an ex-crew member or someone in the audience? Loopy told me the name of Clive's drumtech on the Beast of the Road tour, but I haven't been able to contact him. Apart from current band, management and crew members, he should know best I guess. Contacting the head of the fanclub from those days is also an option.

How clear is the insider's memory of these dates?
A: What are the exact dates when the insider was with the band?
B: What are the exact dates when Clive -according to the insider him- was in the band during the period mentioned in A?

If the memory is clear, can he then also clear up when Clive might not have been there? Does the insider think if that happened after the insider left, or during the time the insider was there?

Perhaps Nicko might have replaced Clive during fewer gigs, in a shorter period of time. Then the word "fortnight" used in the article, with the interview Clive gave on the matter, is not correct.

Last edited:
Is it an ex-crew member or someone in the audience?

That would be telling!

How clear is the insider's memory of these dates?

Pretty clear, as he was taking (high quality) pictures. ;)

A: What are the exact dates when the insider was with the band?

On and off during the first half of the 80s.

B: What are the exact dates when Clive -according to the insider him- was in the band during the period mentioned in A?

He confirmed Clive being with the band on the first week of September. He moved on to other jobs after that and, therefore, does not know what went on later, but mentioned that there was a funny mood and that Steve was not happy with Clive's party behaviour.

If the memory is clear, can he then also clear up when Clive might not have been there? Does the insider think if that happened after the insider left, or during the time the insider was there?

The insider had not heard about Nicko replacing Clive in 1982. That being said, I only got in touch with him as I knew he was with the band in early September, so his comments allow us to narrow down the search to the elusive proof of Nicko playing with Maiden in 1982 to an even shorter period of time in September.

That would be telling!
Not having anonimous sources would be better. I don't see why the info on when Clive was in the band (and when not) is something to be anonimous about. The partying behaviour isn't new either, it's in the biography.
On and off during the first half of the 80s.
Eh, I meant from just the post-Reading gigs in 1982.
He confirmed Clive being with the band on the first week of September.
Having dates is better. What is meant with first week? September started on Wedsneday 1 September, Monday the 6th the next week started. It depends on how one looks at it, or better how he looks at it.

These are the gigs from the first seven days of September.

Wed 1 September 1982 Long Beach United States Long Beach Arena
Fri 3 September 1982 Sacramento Memorial Auditorium
Sat 4 September 1982 Oakland Oakland Coliseum
Sun 5 September 1982 Reno Mackay Stadium
Tue 7 September 1982 BSU Pavilion

All or less dates from this range? Nothing more, nothing less around this period? This is important, because it could help with deducing the dates Nicko was in the band.

He moved on to other jobs after that and, therefore, does not know what went on later

The insider had not heard about Nicko replacing Clive in 1982. That being said, I only got in touch with him as I knew he was with the band in early September, so his comments allow us to narrow down the search to the elusive proof of Nicko playing with Maiden in 1982 to an even shorter period of time in September.
Thanks, I hope to have another more precize confirmation on the dates, if you don't mind verifying. I hope the insider wants to help us, and IMO he does that even better if he reveals himself. Not that I'm not grateful for what you've done! On the contrary.

Last edited:
Not having anonimous sources would be better. I don't see why the info on when Clive was in the band (and when not) is something to be anonimous about. The partying behaviour isn't new either, it's in the biography.

The source is Robert Ellis, who did a lot of photographs for the band in the early 80s and got to know them quite well. He does not know more about this than what I have posted.

Eh, I meant from just the post-Reading gigs in 1982.

Having dates is better. What is meant with first week? September started on Wedsneday 1 September, Monday the 6th the next week started. It depends on how one looks at it, or better how he looks at it.

These are the gigs from the first seven days of September.

Wed 1 September 1982 Long Beach United States Long Beach Arena
Fri 3 September 1982 Sacramento Memorial Auditorium
Sat 4 September 1982 Oakland Oakland Coliseum
Sun 5 September 1982 Reno Mackay Stadium
Tue 7 September 1982 BSU Pavilion

All or less dates from this range? Nothing more, nothing less around this period? This is important, because it could help with deducing the dates Nicko was in the band.

His fantastic book of photographs (http://www.repfoto.com/index_book_ironmaiden.php6) has shots taken up to 4th September and he mentioned to me moving on to other work after the first week of September, but was not more precise than that.
12190017_822207434544812_6913355759565339131_n.jpg

I assume you have that book? Do you see dates and venues (literally) mentioned with the photos (and/or anywhere else in the book)? If we can identify photos from that particular week, then these are the first ever to be identified as such.

I assume you have that book? Do you see dates and venues (literally) mentioned with the photos (and/or anywhere else in the book)? If we can identify photos from that particular week, then these are the first ever to be identified as such.

I do (and I cannot praise it enough). The pages I have included in my previous post mention the dates supporting Scorpions in early September up to 4th September (font size is too small to read, but the information is on the page on the left hand side), which probably means that Robert Ellis have them correctly dated and took them backstage and on stage.

Perhaps he might be able to shed some light on this. :)

Back