Who are your Top 5 guitarists of all time

1) Glenn Tipton (Painkiller)
2) Adrian Smith/Dave Murray
3) Marty Friedman
4) Janick Gers
5) Kai Hansen/K.K. Downing (Between the Hammer and the Anvil)

Song titles in italic represent my favourite solos by the given guitarists, at the moment I could only name 2, might be more over time.

In response to a Dave vs Smith argument a few pages back: they're equal for me, and as other people said, Adrian has more variability, technique and "completeness" but Dave makes a fantastic natural-looking show and feels very relaxed.

Last edited:
Kai Hansen is very overlooked.

1. Buck Dharma (7 Screaming Diz-Busters)
2. Adrian Smith/Dave Murray (too many to name)
3. Kai Hansen (Somewhere Out in Space)
4. Bobby Gustafson (too many to name)
5. Frank Blackfire (Tired and Red)

Last edited:
This is my first ever attempt at a top 5 guitarist list.
1. Adrian Smith/ Dave Murray
2. John Petrucci
3. Janick Gers
4. Dave Mustaine
5. Roy Z

I'm very biased :)

Little update:

1) Glenn Tipton (Painkiller)
2) Dave Murray
3) Adrian Smith (Sea of Madness)
4) Chuck Schuldiner
5) K.K. Downing (Between the Hammer and the Anvil)/Criss Oliva (just discovered him)

This is also my first ever attempt at a top 5 guitarist list.

Let me see: the first rock guitarrists i ever listened to were Angus Young, Brian May, Brian Adams, Brad Whitford, Slash and Richie Sambora. Well, we have to start by somewhere, right?

Now, back in my highschool i remember watching LAD over, and over (and over) until the tape eventually died so you can imagine how i like those 2. Petrucci's level at "Pull me Under" is amazing. And Painkiller destroys everything. And those opening songs of "RIP" are amazing too. Iommi rules! And Luca Turilli's early Rhapsody are quite cool too. AH!

So for my personal tastes, and this is very hard indeed:

1) Adrian Smith (because of the "perfect engine").
1) Dave Murray (because of the "perfect engine")
3) Tony Iommi (because of the early Sabbath, Dio's Sabbath, and, last but not the least, HEADLESS CROSS lol)
4) Mustaine (mostly because of the amazing RIP! Well he's the leader of the band, so Friedman out). This one is the "replaceable seat"
5) Now, we have a problem: i want to honour the rock i started to listen to, so i will honour Whitford. I listened to Aerosmith a lot in the 1990's. I liked how they went from Rock to a Rock-Pop fusion, something in their case i think it worked well while in other bands like GNR didn't work. I could mention also May, but i don't know well the entire discography of the band, mainly their early days, which it's a shame, i know.

This is tough.

*seen live

1. Davey
2. Mark Knopfler
3. H
4. Glenn Tipton
5. John Pertucci*

Runners up:
Martin Barre
Tony Iommi*
Ryan Knight*
Steve Ray Vaughan

Last edited:
This is tough.

*seen live

1. Davey
2. Mark Knopfler
3. H
4. Glenn Tipton
5. John Pertucci*

Runners up:
Martin Barre
Tony Iommi*
Ryan Knight*
Steve Ray Vaughan

Good to see a Tipton fan. Any favourites from him?

Oh, I've started to admire Adrian a lot more lately but naming him better than Dave-dude would still be blasphemy.

Dave Davidson
Chuck Schuldiner
Tony Iommi
Dave Mustaine
Any of the dudes from Maiden.

(This is in no particular order.)

Good to see a Tipton fan. Any favourites from him?

Oh, I've started to admire Adrian a lot more lately but naming him better than Dave-dude would still be blasphemy.

Geez it's hard to pick a favorite, but I'd say All Guns Blazing, Painiller, Sentinel, and Beyond the Realms of Death are some that really stand out for me.

Who is Ryan Knight?

A genius. The perfect balance between technical brilliance and melodic quality. Solo at 1:54

I've often thought of posting a top 5 here, but the order is real tricky.
Top three order is pretty safe I think, but I'm not really sure who should go in 4th & 5th; it's a toss up between quite a few...

1. Buckethead
2. Dave Murray
3. Adrian Smith
4. David Gilmour
5. Paul Gilbert

1. John Norum
2. Randy Rhoads
3. Richie Blackmore
4. Joe Bonamassa
5. Adrian Smith

This needs updating and more truth! My personal influences as a guitarplayer, and in the long run, my actual top 5:

1. Thomas Silver (Hardcore Superstar)
2. Janick Gers (Iron Maiden)
3. John Norum (Europe)
4. George Lynch (Dokken)
5. Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden)

Mine needs updating as well because there's a brand new guy in there. At number 1!

1) Joe Satriani
2) Glenn Tipton
3) Adrian Smith,
Dave Murray

This is only a top 3 because it's too hard for me to list all the other guitarists I like. But others include:

EVH
Steve Vai
K.K. Downing
Marty Friedman

Back