Where Eagles Dare

How good is Where Eagles Dare on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Like a lot of POM, this is a good song but doesn't go above a 7/10. Some of it feels a bit flat, and the length is a slight issue. Some cool stuff in here, certainly, but nonetheless a...

7/10

I find this one tremendously good fun, dramatic and stylish, even if it's a fairly simple song overall. I'd dearly like to see it performed live, that performance at Ullevi looked brilliant, even if the song was cut short. 8/10, however, because only the seriously top-notch songs get 9 or 10.

8/10. Great song, really. Not quite in the absolute upper tier of Maiden songs, however, and they've done better openers.

Some people go nuts for this song, and I don't really get it. I love the theme behind it and the middle guitar solo part of this song, but it seems more like a track 3+ kind of song, not so much an opener, since the pacing seems a little slow. Regardless, it's a good song, and Nicko does a great job solidifying himself in the band with his performance.

7/10.

RTC's Maiden Ranking:
1: Hallowed Be Thy Name: 10/10
2: Phantom Of The Opera: 9/10
3: Killers: 9/10
4: Children Of The Damned: 8/10
5: Remember Tomorrow: 8/10
6: The Number Of The Beast: 8/10
7: Murders In The Rue Morgue: 8/10
8: Run To The Hills: 7/10
9: Where Eagles Dare: 7/10
10: Purgatory: 7/10
11: 22 Acacia Avenue: 7/10
12: Wrathchild: 7/10
13: Transylvania: 7/10
14: Prodigal Son: 6/10
15: Strange World: 6/10
16: Sanctuary: 6/10
17: Another Life: 6/10
18: The Prisoner: 6/10
19: Prowler: 6/10
20: Gangland: 5/10
21: Genghis Khan: 5/10
22: Iron Maiden: 5/10
23: Charlotte The Harlot: 5/10
24: Twilight Zone: 5/10
25: Drifter: 4/10
26: Running Free: 4/10
27: Innocent Exile: 4/10
28: Invaders: 3/10
29: Total Eclipse: 3/10
30: The Ides Of March: 2/10

Whenever I hear this song, I'm made firmly aware that I'm missing the point. I don't get it. Lots of people love this track, and certainly it's a great introduction to the drumming skills of one Nicko McBrain. But Bruce sounds kinda like a scalded cat in places, rushed along. The guitar work is nice and the solos don't add anything. It's good, but not great.

7/10

I never really cared much about this song before I heard the live version at Ullevi, but now I can say I like it.

Although I rate Nicko's drumming, Bruce's vocals and Dave's solo highly, this is definitely not one of the best Iron Maiden openers.
One of the reasons for that is the bad guitar sound. I am not really a fan of Piece of Mind exactly because of that "problem", and this song is, along with Revelations, the best representative of bad POM sound.

The highlight: Bruce's fantastic scream at the very end.

This is an 8/10, because the good elements of this song are really good.

10/10. The drums!!!!!!!! The drums!! lol Nicko could not have joined Iron Maiden and made a better introduction than this song! Plus what a great way for Maiden to continue after The Number Of The Beast album?! This is obviously a much more mature Maiden than what they were doing 3-4 years earlier. Of course I have to complain about parts being repeated a little too much, however they are great parts so that doesn't change my opinion on the song or anything. Great song and great opener of an album, definitely much better than Invaders.

8/10. Great song but not great enough for anything higher.

Rankings:

Previous Albums:

1980 - Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

1981 - Killers - 5.91

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
5 - Another Life
5 - Genghis Khan
5 - Innocent Exile
8 - Killers
5 - Prodigal Son
8 - Purgatory
6 - Twilight Zone
5 - Drifter

1982 - The Number Of The Beast - 7.56

6 - Invaders
7 - Children Of The Damned
8 - The Prisoner
7 - 22 Acacia Avenue
9 - The Number Of The Beast
10 - Run To The Hills
6 - Gangland
5 - Total Eclipse
10 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

1983 - Piece Of Mind

8 - Where Eagles Dare

I love this song! Nicko's first seconds of banging the drums for Maiden on record, resulted in this legendary drum intro. The main riff rocks, Bruce sounds awesome, and a great middle section. 10/10

10/10

Clive Burr was a great drummer with solid rhythm and a strong hand, but within the first few seconds of this opening track it’s clear that Nicko comes from a higher level. Where Eagles Dare opens with a brief drum solo and scattershot guitar playing that sounds like bursts of machine gun fire. Maiden announce their return with pure ferocity, unleashing a musical assault for three minutes before the literal sound of tail gunning layers into the guitar solos. Nicko’s drumming compliments and accents Steve Harris’ bass playing in a way that Clive’s never did - he bounces off the kit where Clive would have bashed into it. Where Eagles Dare proves that the new guy would certainly be up to the challenge. Listen for those triple kicks during the solo unison - Nicko’s doing that with only one pedal! Where Eagles Dare is based on a 1968 Clint Eastwood movie of the same name and is the first of many Maiden tracks about dogfights and aerial warfare. Bruce’s voice soars over the entire track.

My only experience with this album is the remaster, giving the black triangle version a try to mix it up.

Love this song. Nicko's presence is felt immediately with the drum intro but also throughout the song he plays with a brand new energy. His drumming is immense. The real highlight of this song for me is the instrumental section. They really created an atmosphere there that made this more than just another guitar solo. The following harmony and riff before going back to the main riff is one of my all time favorite Maiden moments. This song is the perfect introduction to the next phase of Maiden. It's a bit more refined, robust, but with no shortage of the energy found on the first three albums. It also comes with the confidence and swagger of a band that just had their first #1 album. Bruce sounds great here too, he's really refined his singing since the last album.

10/10

I find this one tremendously good fun, dramatic and stylish, even if it's a fairly simple song overall. I'd dearly like to see it performed live, that performance at Ullevi looked brilliant, even if the song was cut short. 8/10, however, because only the seriously top-notch songs get 9 or 10.

I've changed my mind. Up to 9/10.

I don't share the enthusiasm for this but there's a certain maturity to it that I can appreciate.

Seems to be a showcase for the new drummer! But all the better for it. It absolutely pounds along and is a.good album/set opener.

Great song, great introduction to Nicko's amazing drumming. Also Bruce really shines on this one.

9/10

It's amazing that Nicko's first song is also his best. God, those drums. The rest of the gang are top notch too - guitars are in fine form and Bruce's performance is one of his best. The instrumental section runs a little long, but who cares? It's a great song. 9/10

8. Solid opener, a bit longer than necessary, but that's not necessarily an issue. Great song, especially Nicko's drum intro and the main riff.

Nicko has the best possible studio debut for Iron Maiden here, he is absolutely incredible on this song. The rest is decent but not incredible, and the song possible lasts a bit too long for its creative content. Still very enjoyable. 8/10

I never really got this song when I was younger. But nowadays it's a bit of a favourite from this period, mayhaps because its not as overplayed as some of the other good songs that's been around for a long time.

9/10
How can I not love this song? I mean I can definitely see how some might find it too long but I enjoy every second of it. Everyone's giving their best, it's very powerful and passionate. Not my favorite album, but probably my favorite opener.

Back