1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where Eagles Dare

Discussion in 'Piece Of Mind' started by Anonymous, Apr 11, 2004.

?

How good is Where Eagles Dare on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

27.3%
  2. 9

31.8%
  3. 8

22.7%
  4. 7

18.2%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan Ancient Mariner

Why don't you like DWYBO then?

2. Moonchild33

Moonchild33 Trooper

I don't know. It's kind of cheesy and it's always felt like it runs too long. I just could never get into it. But I do love Bruce's vocals in it. Maybe it's that lame chorus.

Cheesiness also killed Man of Sorrows a bit for me (but not nearly to the same degree).

3. Genghis Khan

The lyrics are not deep by any stretch of the imagination, but I never thought of it as cheesy.  Oh well, to each his own.

4. Moonchild33

Moonchild33 Trooper

I didn't mean the lyrics were cheesy. I meant the backup, "If you're gonna die..." :p

5. Genghis Khan

I happen to like that backup.  :)

6. Moonchild33

Moonchild33 Trooper

Different strokes for different folks. :)

7. Rotam

Rotam Night and day I scan horizon, sea and sky

Hum... Piece of Mind is a great album for my taste. And Where eagles dare is growing fast on me. Superb album opening. Better than Invaders.

8. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Re: Daily Song: Where Eagles Dare

That sounds exaggerating, mate. Just watch your grade in the individual rankings. Working on it now, and posting soon.  :)

9. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

And now that you have posted it, do you see what I mean?

10. Forostar

Compared to others it's low you mean? Alright, relatively seen yes, but I'd never use the word mediocre anymore.
    I forbid you to.

11. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Bahahaha riiiiiiiight :p

12. Forostar

In the beginning this song made a bigger impression. Now I find it a bit less, especially when I compare with later songs on the album. The positive sides are the strong high vocals, and the relentless riffs, but these same riffs are repeated a bit too often to lift the song to a higher level. Nicko does an awesome job, and I guess this is one of the songs he is most famous for. It's typically a style in which he ranks high above many other drummers in the field. The bass drums follow each other quickly and it's a pleasure to hear his ride cymbal accenting along.

A solid 7, almost a 7,5. Thus a 7.

13. ______no5

______no5 The Angel Of The Odd

Where Eagles Dare is perfect to me. The best Maiden opener ever, but so much more than an opener. So heavy, with an excellent mid-part. This song is a voyage from the start to the end. 10/10

14. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

One of the best Maiden openers, gives great energy. Drumming is the best part of the song.

8/10

15. Taker

Taker Cannon Fodder

9 out of 10... I agree that Nicko's drumming, especially the intro, is a high point, but Bruce's awesome performance floors me every time. It's among the best album openers, and was an impressive introduction to the "new guy" sitting in Clive's spot...

16. Prowler_108

Prowler_108 Trooper

This doesn't get a ten because Bruce sounds a little rushed and it's a little too long, but fuck that drumming... :edmetal:
    And Piece of Mind is a masterpiece.

17. Forostar

Is this a nine?

18. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

My favorite Maiden Opener. The lyrics and guitar part is great and it is too bad that they don't play it live much. I am very glad to have seen it in 2005. 10/10

19. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

Killer song. Nicko's best performance is on this song, drums are the best part of the song. 10/10.

20. Vap

Vap Ancient Mariner

What a way to start a masterpiece! Drums are great. 9/10! :edmetal: