Where Eagles Dare

How good is Where Eagles Dare on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Where Eagles Dare

7/10.
The intro is nice, showcasing Nicko, the verses are a little disappointing in my opinion, too flat, the guitar work is pretty good, the solos are ace as always but there's something missing overall. Bruce is just fantastic os this particular song tho.

One a side note I'm surprised that there are so many like me, who consider Piece of Mind the worst album of the 80's (Bruce era).

Well, I rate POM higher (of the 80s albums, only Powerslave and SSOASS rank higher in my book). This song is one of the reasons for it. Great drumming, great vocals  - and I happen to like the guitar work as well. The only thing the song lacks is a real chorus. Not that every song needs one, but this one could benefit from it. Still, great stuff (but not Hallowed-great or Rime-great). 8/10.

BAM-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA BAM-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA BAM-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA

What an intro. And what a song to follow it. I'm one of the people who love Piece of Mind, and I love every single moment of it. This is one of the meanest songs Maiden ever did, a great adventure song told in a non-stop, intense, dirty heavy metal song. It's like an Indiana Jones film or a roller coaster ride or whatever, it just doesn't leave you time to breathe through. Plus, as a Prussian, I have to love how this song explicitly mentions Bavaria as enemy territory. 9/10.

Based on the novel/film, correct?  I always enjoyed this song, but it is only middle of the pack on this album.  Nothing on POM is worth less than a 5, so this one ranks in as a 7.

8.5 rounded up to 9 for poll purposes. Ahhh spring 1983, finishing up my sophomore year of high school. With Bruce being introduced and blowing us away on #, we waited anxiously to hear the new single. Will they continue on their path to greatness? Will Bruce continue to impress?  Well this song gave me and my boys "piece of mind" that Maiden was here to stay. Little did we know that almost 30 years later they would still be producing great music! 

8. The drumming and vocals alone are close to 10's but the song is a little too long perhaps. The drum solo intro is an excellent way to open the album though, great stuff. The riff is quite cool too, I like it a lot.

I love the drums most of all.  The guitars are great too.  However, Bruce's performance here is one of the worst he's done.  An exact opposite of his SSOASS singing.  I gave it a 7/10, though it could be a 8/10.

Genghis Khan said:
However, Bruce's performance here is one of the worst he's done.

WTF?! Are you deaf or what?! :uhm: Piece Of Mind is perhaps Bruce's greatest vocal performance ever by any singer.

I listen to it for 23 years, dude. I know Maiden inside out, front to back.

I just find outrageous - although it's all down to personal tastes - these comments about Piece Of Mind.

:huh:
Look, anyone who thinks POM is the worst of the golden age era albums, is OK, we all have one of those.

But Bruce's performance on this album is among the best singing on any album anywhere.

I'm flabbergasted.
:blink:

I'm a POM critic, but I do like this track and Revelations. 8/10 Great drumming from Nicko, who refuses to use the double bass, making it a difficult piece to perform live. Close to a 9 but is just slightly too long.

Albie said:
8/10: In a way, I missed this track being played out live right in front of me. Why? Well, I saw Maiden at the Hammersmith Odeon on the "Piece of Mind" tour - before the album came out. So, this, "Revelations", etc. was played and I could only stand and watch. Still, a damn fine song and one of the best instrumental breaks of any Maiden song.

That was Bruce's finest performance of WED! You're a lucky guy!

Jeffmetal said:
I listen to it for 23 years, dude. I know Maiden inside out, front to back.

I just find outrageous - although it's all down to personal tastes - these comments about Piece Of Mind.

I was not talking about the whole of POM, just this song.  Even though Bruce's voice is melodic and he can carry it far and high, the actual words on WED are hard to understand without the lyrics right in front of me.  The same I find true with 'Moonchild'.  So despite loving the music, the vocals never stayed with me.  Admittedly, I never gave WED as much a chance as other songs on this album. 

Jeffmetal said:
WTF?! Are you deaf or what?! :uhm: Piece Of Mind is perhaps Bruce's greatest vocal performance ever by any singer.

It's ranked as his hands-down technical best.

But I get what GK is saying. His diction is quite poor. It's one of the only Maiden songs I don't know all the words to.

On the other hand, I completely disagree about Moonchild. :p

Moonchild33 said:
It's ranked as his hands-down technical best.

But I get what GK is saying. His diction is quite poor. It's one of the only Maiden songs I don't know all the words to.

On the other hand, I completely disagree about Moonchild. :p

Right.  Diction is poor.  Thank you for saying the same thing in three words that took me three posts. :D

Moonchild is another song that I have not given its proper chance to grow on me.

Moonchild33 said:
No problem. ;)

I don't know, the diction's never bothered me in Moonchild as it has in WED, ATG or DWYBO.

On DWYBO Bruce sounds more out of breath than anything.  That's a small part of why I really like that song.  ATG is just has awkward lyrics, kind of like To Tame a Land, but both songs have wicked music.

Regardless, I can't understand a word out of his mouth in those songs. :p

DWYBO is one of my least favourite songs, but his vocals aren't the reason for it. I love the breathlessness as well. Alexander's strongest point was never the lyrics, I suppose. . .

Still, musically, ATG and TTAL are pretty killer.

Back