What's the matter with FOTD?

In all honesty, i don't see anything particularly wrong with FOTD at all.

Bottom line, for me: The album has a more, i would say, rock n' roll feel to it, and most Maiden fans are not REEEEALLY comfortable with that, i think. At least not when associated with Maiden, because of course they can appreciate rock n' roll in general, just not in association with this band.

And hey, i can totally respect and even understand that, i just guess FOTD is an album more for people who can actually appreciate it for what it is rather than anyone who has any kind of pre-conception of what this band's sound might be or even evolve to.

And i don't mean to sound like an elitist or anything, i just honestly believe this album is too "rock n' roll" for most people IN ASSOCIATION with Maiden's name. Personally, i just hear things for what they are. Of course some people might just truly and genuinely not like the album, but i'd say the majority "just" have a hard time associating that sort of sound with Maiden. Which is fine.

Last edited:
i just honestly believe this album is too "rock n' roll" for most people IN ASSOCIATION with Maiden's name.
I am among those who like the likes of "Drifter", "Sanctuary", "Tailgunner", "Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter" a lot (over most post-reunion material for instance... not all of it though), that's no surprise I like "From Here to Eternity". Yet, I think the sound itself did not fit this song really well on the studio version.

I am among those who like the likes of "Drifter", "Sanctuary", "Tailgunner", "Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter" a lot (over most post-reunion material for instance... not all of it though), that's no surprise I like "From Here to Eternity". Yet, I think the sound itself did not fit this song really well on the studio version.
Yeah, i get you. I think it should be done in a more "thick" way

Bottom line, for me: The album has a more, i would say, rock n' roll feel to it, and most Maiden fans are not REEEEALLY comfortable with that, i think. At least not when associated with Maiden, because of course they can appreciate rock n' roll in general, just not in association with this band.
I don't mind good rock and roll (emphasis on the word 'good'). I love the Killers album, I think Drifter is a great song. I also think No Prayer is a very underrated album.

My problem with Fear has nothing to do with the style or the sound. It's simply that I think the songs are very dull, generic, and uninspired. It's the only Maiden album that sounds half assed to me.

I don't mind good rock and roll (emphasis on the word 'good'). I love the Killers album, I think Drifter is a great song. I also think No Prayer is a very underrated album.

My problem with Fear has nothing to do with the style or the sound. It's simply that I think the songs are very dull, generic, and uninspired. It's the only Maiden album that sounds half assed to me.
I guess... I mean, it all comes down to opinions, and everyone has one.

To me, the album sounds, in a way, more "care-free" (but in a way, to me, that is good). It sounds like something that was made with not THAT MUCH detail and in a way that makes this album standout for me. Mainly because it has some different feels and grooves throughout and, also, because, it's a somewhat "care-free" album. I don't really know how to explain it, but yeah :p

I just have fun with FOTD and i don't take it as "serously" as an album like SSOASS. And it's ok. I like the fact that this band has things i can listen to and really pay attention because of details/references/etc and others that i can just hear and have fun without thinking of anything in particular. Although of course the album does have some pretty deep moments like ATSS.

@nuno_c I think I get what you mean, but I'd say they did a lot better job at that with No prayer, Fear feels a lot less coherent and suffers a bit from both having a few songs too many and a much worse production. I really like you defending it though, it always warms my heart a bit when someone gives love to the lesser liked pieces, it usually makes me re-listen them and see if I find some new angle to appreciate them.

@nuno_c I think I get what you mean, but I'd say they did a lot better job at that with No prayer, Fear feels a lot less coherent and suffers a bit from both having a few songs too many and a much worse production. I really like you defending it though, it always warms my heart a bit when someone gives love to the lesser liked pieces, it usually makes me re-listen them and see if I find some new angle to appreciate them.
Thanks!

It's not that i like to create controversy just for the sake of it, it's just that i honestly try to listen to/see things with objectivity.

Like Blaze, in a way... When i listen to those two albums he did when he was in Maiden, i never think about Bruce or Paul. I try to see if things work out on their own, not with someone else in mind, you know?

Same thing goes with FOTD: I try to listen to it without too much in mind. And yes, it does have (to me) a muddier production than NPFTD (ironic, considering the former was actually recorded in a mobile studio while FOTD was made in a "proper" one :confused:), but still i try to see it for what it is.

I actually appreciate the fact that it has so many different sounding songs. In a way (and although not really the best comparison in the world) it reminds of The White Album. Just because there are indeed different directions going on at the same time. Or like the Use Your Illusion albums. I like it, it's "free" in a way. It's a "whatever we want to play we'll play" kind of album for me.

It wouldn't make sense to me if everything had to make sense.

Last edited:
This "going against the majority" thing is rather tricky - you don't do it and you're a sheep, you do it and you're "hipster"... I don't care either way - I've been called many names by my friends and relatives, "Musical Nazi" being one of the more pleasant of those.

Most of the metal community (outside this forum) seem to hate Blaze in Maiden. Most of them also seem to hate the reunion stuff. Most dislike Janick. I love Blaze, I consistently include TXF in my top 3 and reunion Maiden is my favourite Maiden. Trying to stir up a controversy? No way. If anything, I'm just weird.

As I've said before - I love FOTD, which is where I go even against the majority on this forum (which is pretty open-minded, by the way, as far as metal fans go). No, it's not my #1, it's probably not even in the top 5, but I feel like it's a steady and long-time #6. I really enjoy the sound, I love most of the songs, I like Bruce's approach to vocals.
What's worse, I don't understand the hate. I just don't get how could so many people dislike a good-if-not-exceptionally-good song like The Apparition, with that interesting stop-start verse. I don't get the hate for Weekend Warrior - a cool and catchy song that reminds me of Bruce solo and which has a great instrumental section, IMHO.

And yes, I know it's a meme around here, but The Prisoner is also better than most make it out to be - it is rather complex for such a short song and it's catchy as f*ck. With Bruce really sounding great everywhere. The "apocalyptic" (and catchy!) Childhood's End, the thrashy Be Quick or Be Dead (amazing!), the beautiful chorus-instrumental section-chorus of ATSS. And Judas, one of their best short songs, IMO. And I still love FOTD, simplistic and overplayed as it is.

Subjectively, this is one of their catchiest albums, seriously. Really, I hear hooks almost everywhere.

This "going against the majority" thing is rather tricky - you don't do it and you're a sheep, you do it and you're "hipster"... I don't care either way - I've been called many names by my friends and relatives, "Musical Nazi" being one of the more pleasant of those.

Most of the metal community (outside this forum) seem to hate Blaze in Maiden. Most of them also seem to hate the reunion stuff. Most dislike Janick. I love Blaze, I consistently include TXF in my top 3 and reunion Maiden is my favourite Maiden. Trying to stir up a controversy? No way. If anything, I'm just weird.

As I've said before - I love FOTD, which is where I go even against the majority on this forum (which is pretty open-minded, by the way, as far as metal fans go). No, it's not my #1, it's probably not even in the top 5, but I feel like it's a steady and long-time #6. I really enjoy the sound, I love most of the songs, I like Bruce's approach to vocals.
What's worse, I don't understand the hate. I just don't get how could so many people dislike a good-if-not-exceptionally-good song like The Apparition, with that interesting stop-start verse. I don't get the hate for Weekend Warrior - a cool and catchy song that reminds me of Bruce solo and which has a great instrumental section, IMHO.

And yes, I know it's a meme around here, but The Prisoner is also better than most make it out to be - it is rather complex for such a short song and it's catchy as f*ck. With Bruce really sounding great everywhere. The "apocalyptic" (and catchy!) Childhood's End, the thrashy Be Quick or Be Dead (amazing!), the beautiful chorus-instrumental section-chorus of ATSS. And Judas, one of their best short songs, IMO. And I still love FOTD, simplistic and overplayed as it is.

Subjectively, this is one of their catchiest albums, seriously. Really, I hear hooks almost everywhere.
You know, the over-criticism that some things recieve actually makes it easier for me to listen to those same things with objectivity, because i really want to find out if i agree or not, so that actually opens up my perception to things. Hope this makes sense.

And yeah, i totally agree with your take on the album FOTD :ok:

You know, the over-criticism that some things recieve actually makes it easier for me to listen to those same things with objectivity, because i really want to find out if i agree or not, so that actually opens up my perception to things. Hope this makes sense.

Yes, it also somewhat nullifies your expectations. I mean (not really taking into consideration the times my father played it to me when I was nearly a toddler) when I first listened to it seriously, I was expecting an abomination of a record. To my surprise pretty much all the songs were at least good. Some were phenomenal. It didn't sound like typical Maiden, but I never considered that a minus (let's admit it, they can be a tad formulaic at times). I went back and re-read all the negative reviews, comments, etc. and I seriously wondered if my CD has been switched. I just hear something completely different. :D

Ahh! Good to read all this. Especially what you say about The Apparition. Good that someone is willing (and able ;-) ) to see the good things in it. Not an outstanding track, but absolutely no turd either.

And here some descriptions of my favourite three Fear of the Dark songs:

Childhood's End
The one but best track of Fear of the Dark's A side. There's some fine guitar work on it. Not only lead, I also dig the playing and sound of the rhythm guitars in the couplets. The atmosphere is enriched with the perfectly fitting keyboards. The chorus is a bit of an experiment with that fast bass riff and drum accompaniment, but it works fine.

The solo is a very special one in the catalogue: Dave and Janick tried to fool the listener.
At first, it sounds like one solo by one person, but in fact Janick starts and Dave takes over fluently (and not at a typical moment) and ends it.

This puzzled me for years but after reading an interview about this with Bruce I finally could analyze it well.

The "switch" takes place at around 3:04/3:05 in this clip:

The Fugitive
Another shining track, I enjoy this one the most from side B. It's not only one of the strongest on this album, but strong in the whole catalogue, and unfortunately another one which is somewhat underestimated. I find it at least as good as Childhood's End and it has the same kind of atmosphere (the keyboards contribute in that aspect, blending very fine with the guitars), though this song is more suspenseful instead of doomy. I see these two as the brother songs on the album.

Fine intro, but ater that it only gets better. Excellent build-up and bright solos (an exceptionally well prepared solo by Janick!), and nice pace overall in the whole track. It's a nice "moving" song for bus, car, train, bike or simply the point of the track: "on the run".

This song marks one of the first examples of acoustic guitars heard at the same time as electric rhythm guitars (3:37 in this clip), since Prodigal Son.

For me this is one of the last very good songs singlehandedly penned by Steve Harris.

Afraid to Shoot Strangers (written before it was brought back in the set)
If there's one song I have an emotional connection with, it's got to be this one.

Due to some personal issues I couldn't see Bruce's farewell tour in 1993. It was going to be my second concert and I was very disappointed, because I thought I'd never see Maiden with Bruce again. I remember that I played A Real Live One a lot around that time, and sometimes, this live version recorded in Stockholm even brought tears in my eyes.

When I hear it, it brings me back to 2 September 1992 when I witnessed this song for the first time, in concert. After Bruce ends with No trust, no reasoning, no more to say, the song's melodies are so powerful, piercing straight through my heart. Steve's bass and Nicko's drums carry the whole thing with immense force, and I remember Bruce kept us busy during this section. He stimulated the wave of v-shaped arms in the air. Thousands of arms making the same moves, while this enchanting music took away my breath.

It was and still is the best song from the first new album I bought since I was a fan (I became a fan in 1991). It's in the same league of the best material that came out since, but it made a bigger impression than most of that stuff.

Actually, with this song Maiden tried out something new, namely a rhythmic and calm beginning, built around a bass pattern, in which the role for Nicko was nihil or minimal. This was done on various later songs as well, e.g. on The X-Factor, check out Fortunes of War for instance. This song is not only important in this development.

Listen to the part which starts at 2.44, where we hear a certain style, where Steve and Nicko follow eachother smoothly, and Steve does a certain bass pattern and the guitars play the same(!) melody (no harmony, no rhythm guitars). This was done later as well, on various occasions. E.g. take Look For The Truth, take When The Wild Wind Blows:

Afraid To Shoot Strangers is written all over these instrumental sections.

This song is trademark Steve Harris writing, and it represents the sound of post-No Prayer Maiden, and therefore its relevance is easily recognized.

I hope that this song will return, one day, and I am curious if it will have the same effect.

Since I expect that some people will say that Blaze did it better, I'd like to encourage them to take another listen:

Blaze did it well, but not necessarily better than Bruce. I'll point out some bad Blaze moments during his version of ATSS:

I wipe (0:42)
visualize (0:57)
finish (we've got a winner: that was a cringing, rotten moment: 1:34)
ourselves (1:52)

I find Bruce's A Real Live One and the Donington version better, and the studio version as well.

I think Bruce puts more drama into it. And he makes less mistakes. He simply can handle it better. More feel, a more natural performance.

Well, I basically meant: on the second half of the album. But it was a double LP wasn't it? Then yes, also side C, in a way.

Potentially reviving a dead thread but this felt like the most appropriate place to post.

After recently buying the CD (I usually listen to mp3, and my copy of this album was a bad one) and investing some time here I'm honestly sad I didn't do it before. What I thought was the title track, ATSS and a pile of filler of varying quality has turned out for me to be an album that is very enjoyable from start to finish. Yes, that even includes The Apparition, which has inexplicably wormed its way into my head, and Weekend Warrior (which I've always enjoyed).

Perhaps it feels more like a rock album in places (From Here To Eternity, Chains Of Misery and Weekend Warrior being the main offenders) but it's a damn good one.

Is it my new #1 Maiden album? Nah, but what I used to rank #12 (bottom position as I don't bother with non Dickinson albums) is now hanging around #6 or #7 comfortably.

Potentially reviving a dead thread but this felt like the most appropriate place to post.

After recently buying the CD (I usually listen to mp3, and my copy of this album was a bad one) and investing some time here I'm honestly sad I didn't do it before. What I thought was the title track, ATSS and a pile of filler of varying quality has turned out for me to be an album that is very enjoyable from start to finish. Yes, that even includes The Apparition, which has inexplicably wormed its way into my head, and Weekend Warrior (which I've always enjoyed).

Perhaps it feels more like a rock album in places (From Here To Eternity, Chains Of Misery and Weekend Warrior being the main offenders) but it's a damn good one.

Is it my new #1 Maiden album? Nah, but what I used to rank #12 (bottom position as I don't bother with non Dickinson albums) is now hanging around #6 or #7 comfortably.

:nana: :okok: :yey:

I enjoy the tracks from them played live; I just don't enjoy Maiden's other singers.
Seriously man, why are you not listening to four Iron Maiden albums? If you haven't got round to it, fair enough; but it's a bit odd if you never intend to visit them. This is a quarter of their output; you know, those other guys that are in the band besides Bruce Dickinson...

Besides, all this time FotD could have been 5th last! :p

Back