What's the matter with FOTD?

mirtilo

Educated Fool
I was taking a look at the 'Iron Maiden songs that you flat out dislike?'
and I saw that a big part of you guys doesn't like FOTD stuff.

FOTD was my first Iron Maiden album and I really like how dark, raw and heavy it is. Sometimes I just want to listen something different from Iron Maiden and they made it with FOTD at that time.

Perhaps it may not be a prejudice brought since then because of the presence of Janick Gers and the lack of Adrian Smith? Now we know how great compositor Janick is.

I mean, maybe its not one of their best albuns, but it's, at least for me, definitely good! I beg you one more listen.

I've listened to Fear of the Dark more than a little, especially since it was one of the first Iron Maiden albums I bought. I remember, it was that, Killers, or No Prayer and I went for FOTD based on the awesome artwork and the fact that I loved the live version on Best of the Beast.

And while I consider it to be their least-good album, there's still stuff I really, really like about it, and at least three great songs. Sometimes I feel like listening to it. So I listen to it!

What some rate as fillers , i really like about the album

Chains of Misery , Judas Be My Guide, Childhood´s End are some really fun Songs

And what about Be Quick or be Dead, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Wasting Love, Weekend Warrior, Fear of the Dark...

I love even Fear is the Key (such a cavernous riff!) and The Apparition, songs that you guys seems to really dislike.

I like this album more than any that has come afterwards, except possibly the last two - though it is almost impossible to compare. The thing is, it is the album IM had just released when I discovered them (on the release of A Real Live One) so this is my nostalgia fibre speaking.

What makes it not excellent is definitely Bruce's voice in my opinion - and that is what tarnishes "Weekend Warrior" a lot (the rest is fine to me). I guess "The Apparition" is also difficult to swallow but the instrumental is a good one to my mind.
Finally, Nicko slows down when the singing resumes in "Chains of Misery" and that is also a thing I don't like.

Apart from that, I love the album.

The thing is, it is the album IM had just released when I discovered them (on the release of A Real Live One) so this is my nostalgia fibre speaking.

Same here dude. A Real Live One being my first album :ok:

I like it too. Its the last of the "classic" albums to me. Even if some of the tracks are a bit more mindless fun rock tunes than previously....Songs about football and bikers :D

I love the FOTD album, but a few parts sounds like they are leftovers from Tattooed millionaire.

But some of their best songs are on this album as well, Afraid to shoot strangers, the title track and Judas be my guide are my favorites. Great opening track as well! And loads of great melodies all over the record.

I don't like the overall sound of it, not to mention I only care about 1/3 of the songs.

I like the sound (brings me back to the early nineties, somehow, even though I was born in 1992, so I should have no idea :D ), I like Bruce's vocals and the songs IMHO range from absolutely astonishing (BQOBD, ATSS, Judas Be My Guide, FOTD, Childhood's End) to really great (Wasting Love, The Fugitive, From Here to Eternity) to good songs that get put down too much for no reason (Weekend Warrior, Fear Is the Key, The Apparition). Chains of Misery is the only song I would not include (From Here covers the same spots and it's better, so...) and even that one's okay. It's a diverse album full of experiments and the last album with cover I have no problem with until 2006. I play it definitely more often than any 80's Maiden album bar SiT and Powerslave. :innocent:

It used to be my 3rd to last favourite.
Now it is 4th to last favourite.
And Sign of the Cross is having a word._

Judas be my guide is certainly not filler, could be the best song on the album.

JBMG, ATSS, BQoBD, Childhoods end, FOTD and Wasting love are all golden in my opinion. And there is good stuff about the fugitive, chains of misery, and FHTE.

Unfortunately the album has three songs that in my opinion are god awful and worse than filler. Fear is the key, Weekend warrior and the worst maiden song ever, The apparition. Those 3 songs are so shit, it actually puts on downer on the album as a whole

I like the sound (brings me back to the early nineties, somehow, even though I was born in 1992, so I should have no idea :D ), I like Bruce's vocals and the songs IMHO range from absolutely astonishing (BQOBD, ATSS, Judas Be My Guide, FOTD, Childhood's End) to really great (Wasting Love, The Fugitive, From Here to Eternity) to good songs that get put down too much for no reason (Weekend Warrior, Fear Is the Key, The Apparition). Chains of Misery is the only song I would not include (From Here covers the same spots and it's better, so...) and even that one's okay. It's a diverse album full of experiments and the last album with cover I have no problem with until 2006. I play it definitely more often than any 80's Maiden album bar SiT and Powerslave. :innocent:
Well you have the worst Dream Theater album as your avatar so it makes sense you like the worst Maiden too. :p

Unfortunately the album has three songs that in my opinion are god awful and worse than filler. Fear is the key, Weekend warrior and the worst maiden song ever, The apparition. Those 3 songs are so shit, it actually puts on downer on the album as a whole

I've seen a similar opinion quite a few times and each time I shake my head in disbelief. Firstly I like all three songs that are regularly trashed but what puzzles me is that I get peoples opinions are different and some won't like them but it's the passion with which they don't like them that has me scratching my head.

Take the quote in this post where it's stated that the apparition, fear is the key and weekend warriors are god awful. It sounds like this guy would literally throw up if he heard one of these songs.

In my mind maiden have never ever written a song on any album that would make me so passionately declare my hatred for it.

FOTD is a great album. It's not got only 3 good songs as a lot of people state it's got a lot of quality. Weekend warrior is the only song that I could live without but it's still a fun little song and it's not bad enough I have to skip.

I've seen a similar opinion quite a few times and each time I shake my head in disbelief. Firstly I like all three songs that are regularly trashed but what puzzles me is that I get peoples opinions are different and some won't like them but it's the passion with which they don't like them that has me scratching my head.

Take the quote in this post where it's stated that the apparition, fear is the key and weekend warriors are god awful. It sounds like this guy would literally throw up if he heard one of these songs.

In my mind maiden have never ever written a song on any album that would make me so passionately declare my hatred for it.

FOTD is a great album. It's not got only 3 good songs as a lot of people state it's got a lot of quality. Weekend warrior is the only song that I could live without but it's still a fun little song and it's not bad enough I have to skip.

When I say god awful, I mean it's god awful for maiden. The album has enough tracks and I feel these should've been cut. There is no need for filler.

All just opinions at the end of the day

When I say god awful, I mean it's god awful for maiden. The album has enough tracks and I feel these should've been cut. There is no need for filler.

All just opinions at the end of the day

Fair enough, I just think in my opinion maiden are one of the few bands that have never ever written an filler songs. Of course they have written some fantastic songs and others that I'm not a huge fan of but never once have I listened to a maiden song and thought it was filler. To me filler would imply that a band has worked hard to write 5/6 brilliant songs but need to have 3/4 more for an album so just slap any old riff down that comes to mind and quickly write a half arsed tune just to bolster the number of songs on an album. Maiden have never come across as a band that would ever do this to me.

Maiden just come across as a band with too much integrity to insult their fans with a half arsed song and whilst some of their songs work better than others I always get the impression that each song they wrote was worked on and at the time they liked it and thought it deserved to be in an album.

Back