What guitar do you play?

You can buy pickups or sets of pickups. Good ones can be expensive, but manufacturers sell online, plus there's eBay, and there are lots of recommendations online, too. The trick is to have pickups which complement each other - manufacturers will often advise on this - and are a good match to the wood/type of guitar. The work itself doesn't have to be difficult. If you have pickups which fit the pockets in the body, there's little more to do than a bit of wiring.

I don't have experience of this, but I looked into it for possible new pickups on my Yamaha, and the guitar kit I was thinking about last year.

The most popular aftermarket pickups like the Seymour Duncan JB, '59 or DiMarzio Super Distortion costs around £70 per pickup. A music store would charge you around £25-35 to install it in my experience. This of course varies depending on where you live. This is of course also when the pickup is a direct swap, passive humbucker for passive humbucker and so on. If you want to install active pickups like the EMG81 all wiring, potentiometers and input jack would have to be swapped and this is naturally a lot more work. A normal pickup swap is just unscrewing the old one, unsolder it, solder in the new one and then putting it into place.

Then there are pickups that costs up towards £1000, really cheap ones etc. Fender, Gibson, DiMarzio, and Seymour Duncan are some really big manufacturers of guitar pickups. Single-coil or humbucker, passive or active - there's a wide range of pickups available.

Good posts, both of you. Ooh, I found out my main music shop sells DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan pickups so buying them won't be a problem. But I'll probably invest them only if I find something about the original pickup to my disliking.

I'd say the key to a tone is mainly the amp settings and effects. I don't have pedals but the effects on my amp are not bad at all. Dave's rhythm sound is hard to get but I've managed to get a similar lead sound and I love the clean tone.

I have a Fender American Standard Stratocaster with Seymour Duncan JB Jr-pickups fitted. I find it gets pretty close to Janick's tone with the right amp. Pickups are really important, but that's only when you have the right kind of amp.

Ordered a PRS SE Custom 24 yesterday. It is going to be the cheapest guitar in my ever growing collection by far, but having tried one I think I am going to be pleased with it. It looks really cool in Purple Burst and with quilted maple veneer - that I can be certain of at least.

I have a Fender American Standard Stratocaster with Seymour Duncan JB Jr-pickups fitted. I find it gets pretty close to Janick's tone with the right amp. Pickups are really important, but that's only when you have the right kind of amp.
I'm not being cheeky, but why would you want to sound like Janick? His live lead sound is usually pretty poor. Are you talking about studio sound?

To my ears his overall sound is by far the best of the three. Raw, straight into the amplifier-sound that cuts through.

About a year ago, I aqquired a snow white Les Paul Custom with gold hardware. Previously I'd bought guitars with floating tremolos, but I'm surprised at how well the Les Paul stays in tune, it's a really nice guitar. I just learned Redeemer Of Souls on it today! :)

Does anybody here have any recommendations on 7 string guitars? I'm looking into buying one but would I want to know if anyone has one that is just simply amazing.
This is the guitar I'm looking into, but is there any guitar that is just vastly superior?
http://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/omen-extreme-7-detail
I have that guitar. Got it so that I could play Dream Theater, and it gets the job done. Of course I'e discovered all kinds of other great 7 string players since then. It's a great instrument and is also handy if you want to mess with alternate 6 string tunings.

Do you play 6 string already?

Well I would love to have that guitar, but that is way out of my price range lol.

I have that guitar. Got it so that I could play Dream Theater, and it gets the job done. Of course I'e discovered all kinds of other great 7 string players since then. It's a great instrument and is also handy if you want to mess with alternate 6 string tunings.

Do you play 6 string already?
I also want a 7 string so I can play Dream Theater songs. And yes I play a 6 string, I currently own a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Diamond series.

Then that guitar would be a nice step up. It takes a long time to get used to though, so you won't want to jump into playing DT.

Ok thanks. I'll look into getting it tonight.

Edit: I just bought it. Should be here within a few days.

Last edited:
Then that guitar would be a nice step up. It takes a long time to get used to though, so you won't want to jump into playing DT.

Quality-wise it would be a big step down from the Hellraiser which usually cost twice as much.

Hope you'll be happy with the guitar Collin. There are quite some 7-strings on the market right now, but the majority are in the upper-midrange (PRS SE or Schecter Hellraiser C-7 for example.)

Quality-wise it would be a big step down from the Hellraiser which usually cost twice as much.
I meant more in that it would be a step up in number of strings. :p And since he's familiar with Schecter he'll have a decent idea of what to expect.

I just got my guitar today. I opened up the box, tuned it then dove right into the Enemy Inside. It went pretty well actually, except for the solos. I do need to get used to the strings, it does feel a bit awkward. But the sound is really good and I'm thoroughly enjoying this guitar.

Now, time to tackle The Glass Prison. :shred:

So I started to learn to play about 10 years ago when my Dad gave me his old acoustic after he bought a new one.
Last week I got curious about that guitar I decided to research it.

Turns out it's an old arch top Gibson L50 built between 1947 and 1952.
They sell right now for between $1,500 and $3,000 depending on the condition.
Not amazing, or even extremely rare, but I just thought it was cool finding out how old it was.

Gibson L50.jpg

And since I've never posted it on here before, here's my metal guitar, a Jackson DKMGT.

Jackson flip.jpg

Back