What guitar do you play?

I'll have to check some of that out. At some point I'll want to just build my own guitar, but changing the color of one might be a good starting point; I don't like the tobacco burst color as much as I used to anyway.

That's why I wanted the kit, really, I didn't want to pull apart and wreck a half decent guitar, so I was going to experiment with the kit first. Don't do business with Guitar Kits Direct in Australia if you do go down that route. They have a poor track record for being slow/failing to come up with the goods. There are lots of finishing products on the market, and guitars makers forums with advice on finishing

Well maybe I'll look into a kit first then. I'll probably just buy one from an American store, much easier that way. Thanks for the advice!

Setting up custom tunings in a Tronical/Min-ETune tuning unit is **incredibly** fiddly and irritating to do, I can reveal :grumble:. This would take a minute or two manually, instead of the current 20+ minutes, hampered by the unit running out of battery.

I've been strictly playing acoustic for about 5 years now on a Martin I picked up used in Austin, TX. An awesome guitar.

BUT, I was finally able to retrieve my Ibanez JS from back home. I'm quite happy to be shredding again. :shred:

I have a few guitars, but these are my two main ones:

00067117.jpg

SCH-3812-2.jpg

SA series. It's a nice guitar though it kinda has a thin sound to it.

Yeah, I've run into that on some Ibanez models. Honestly, until I got my JS-100 (admittedly the lowest quality of the JS series), I was unimpressed with the tone on most Ibanez guitars.

Every JS guitar I've played has awesome tone, though. I bought mine used from an old band mate and he installed a Dimebag Darrell pickup in it, which gives it a very cool sound, especially if I want a beastly solo tone.

Yeah, I've run into that on some Ibanez models. Honestly, until I got my JS-100 (admittedly the lowest quality of the JS series), I was unimpressed with the tone on most Ibanez guitars.

Every JS guitar I've played has awesome tone, though. I bought mine used from an old band mate and he installed a Dimebag Darrell pickup in it, which gives it a very cool sound, especially if I want a beastly solo tone.
It's not a bad tone, works well for what it's going for actually. For rhythm playing it's great, also has a wonderful clean tone. But for shredding the 7 string is my go to.

My first guitar was a black s101 I still have it. It sounds really really heavy, Kind of like the guitar on the Enemy Inside - Dream Theater.

I then bought a black and white Fender Squire, because I really wanted to use a whammy bar. I sold it a year later because the sound was pretty awful.

When I sold my second guitar, I bought a Red Schecter Diamond Series. Definitely the best guitar I've ever used.
Next I plan to buy a seven string

black s101.jpgsquire.jpgsheckter.jpg

These actually aren't mine, I found these on the internet

Treated myself to a Jackson SDX Adrian Smith at the weekend
Also got a Gretsch electric, Fender acoustic and a cheap acoustic bass as wellimage.jpg

Good, TheMeat, good, because I'm planning on buying it as well. Nothing's certain yet but I'll probably get this one because of the price. Dave's Strat (choice #1) costs over thrice as much and so does Adrian's San Dimas. So do you like SDX? Could you tell me how you feel about it? A problem I'm facing though is that I know of no place in my country where it would be sold and buying a guitar "blindly" is a risk. Order it, dislike it, feel regret.
Sent Meat a PM but posting here as well so if anyone has some information, feel free to share.

Last edited:
I heard the stock pickups on the H Jackson are crap. Are they?
I disagree. I've managed to get some great tones from this guitar. I guess it will depend what you are playing through but overall I think, for the cost, it is great.
I prefer it to a MiM strat...... And it looks better

As much as I've heard about the pickups, a DiMarzio Super Distortion does miracles in the bridge and the neck pickup wasn't said to be too good either. Maybe they're good, maybe not, but just in case, how does changing pickups happen anyway? No way I would do it myself but do you go to your average music shop, tell which pickups you want and they get the job done? A possibility would be asking my brother to do it, as he is smart in the technology area. But can any pickup just be bought separately? Who has had experience with this?

Back