What guitar do you play?

New 'tar.

2bd717d44c3887ca3920135e2d993a19.jpg
I bought the black version today at half price (even had the tag on) by someone who needed money for his new Ibanez. What a guitar, it rivals more expensive Fender and LTD guitars I have. Ok, the saddles need to have the edges filed, I'm swapping the pots at some point and there is a paint drop on the "binding". That's it. Everything else is 10/10. Congrats on an awesome guitar (oh how I wish the guy sold me that raw version you have).

Last edited:
Bought the new Charvel So-Cal Pro-Mod HSS in Pharoa's gold a month ago.

Didn't care for the Duncan Distortion pickup, as it is a pretty characterless pickup. Dropped in a DiMarzio Transition. Absolutely love it. Great mid-output humbucker with great split sounds (knowing how versatile Luke III is, that was also the reasoning why I got that pickup). After that, I installed a Sustainiac (with a help of a carpenter that did the woodwork). I love it. Love playing a guitar with a floating trem again (my Jackson SDX is dive-only) and the other guitar I play a lot recently is my Les Paul Traditional.

Sustainiac as a neck pickup alone sounds amazing. Still needs some things, but we are getting there. The neck pickup from Charvel is now the middle pickup in the Jackson SDX, which also sports DiMarzio Heavy Blues 2 in the neck and Super Distortion in bridge position.

I bought the black version today at half price (even had the tag on) by someone who needed money for his new Ibanez. What a guitar, it rivals more expensive Fender and LTD guitars I have. Ok, the saddles need to have the edges filed, I'm swapping the pots at some point and there is a paint drop on the "binding". That's it. Everything else is 10/10. Congrats on an awesome guitar (oh how I wish the guy sold me that raw version you have).
It’s a very smoothly playing guitar with quality components. I love what it looks like and how light it is. I’m currently pondering future pickup changes. I love the SD Jazz in the neck. It’s very rich in sound with deep lows and bright highs. Especially good for cleans. When switching to the JB in the bridge, however, there is a massive boost in mid frequencies. It almost feels like there is too much of a difference in sound between these two pups. Maybe I’m overthinking it but I want to explore other options for the bridge position at some point.

Yes, the JB is very creamy and quite a bit hotter (and a perfect Heavy Metal pickup as far as I'm concerned). Wiring it past the tone pot will add more treble and a bit more bass, if you want to try that first, but it will affect position 2 and 4 in particular as well as position 3 (of course, a no-load tone pot would be an alternative as well if you want to fiddle around with it while switching pickups, as the tone pot is engaged in pot positions 1-9 and bypassed when it's turned all the way up). I'm going to keep it the way it is, as while there is a significant difference in sound between the two humbuckers, that also results in a very diverse palette of sound.

Last edited:
Looking for a new cab, wonder if anyone could clear something up for me. I'm the only guitarist in my band and my sound needs fattening up a little, the idea is to have one cab on my side and one on the bass player's side. I already have a Zilla 1x12 with a 16 ohm Greenback and found this:

It seems pretty much perfect; good price, speaker configuration, brand, colour etc, but I'm a bit concerned I can't use it how I'd like. It says it's 16 ohms stereo or 8 ohms mono, by my understanding that means I can't use both speakers in this cab and my 16ohm 1x12? I could only use both 2x12 speakers in 8ohms, or one speaker in 16ohms and my 1x12 cab.

If this is the case, could I change the wiring in either cab to better suit my needs, or would the better/easier option be to switch out the 16ohm speaker in my 1x12 for an 8ohm?

Looking for a new cab, wonder if anyone could clear something up for me. I'm the only guitarist in my band and my sound needs fattening up a little, the idea is to have one cab on my side and one on the bass player's side. I already have a Zilla 1x12 with a 16 ohm Greenback and found this:

It seems pretty much perfect; good price, speaker configuration, brand, colour etc, but I'm a bit concerned I can't use it how I'd like. It says it's 16 ohms stereo or 8 ohms mono, by my understanding that means I can't use both speakers in this cab and my 16ohm 1x12? I could only use both 2x12 speakers in 8ohms, or one speaker in 16ohms and my 1x12 cab.

If this is the case, could I change the wiring in either cab to better suit my needs, or would the better/easier option be to switch out the 16ohm speaker in my 1x12 for an 8ohm?
Why don't you use a signal split box after your guitar, then split the signal in two ways, routing the two outs in each of the amps? That's the way I would do it.

Why don't you use a signal split box after your guitar, then split the signal in two ways, routing the two outs in each of the amps? That's the way I would do it.

Would this still work with the different ohmage of the cabs? I'm only using one amp head.

That seems interesting, though looking into it I wonder if it's meant for amps that only have one output for cabinets, my Friedman already has two.
I am wondering the same thing. Do you have Thomann in the UK (if I'm not mistaken you are UK based)? They have a really great customer service in general. In case you have not: Email them exactly your question to their headquarters here in Germany. They have a lot of English speaking staff, and if you address your question to Alfred "Ali" Reuter from their Guitar departement, you'll get a maximum profund answer on your topic.
gitarre@thomann.de,
put Alfred Reuter on top, he'll help you.

Got a new Fender Player Stratocaster. Shell Pink, Pau Ferro fretboard. FSR/Limited Edition.

First Fender in a while, and I'm positive it's a good one. This series is like an old (2008-2012) American Standard but made in Mexico. It has a lot of similarities with the old Standard Mexico-built Fenders of course - but two point trem, Alnico V-pickups, 22 frets, logo and overall style are inherited as a replacement of the one and only American Standard.

Quality overall might not be all the way there (this thick polyester finish needs to go), but this is a proper, well playing, guitar.

Modding is next. I will probably turn this into a pink Janick Gers-esque Strat.

Just bought another Les Paul Traditional. It's basically same as the first one, made obly 364 days after the first one. Same pickups same kind of wood.

But man, they sound different.

Just bought another Les Paul Traditional. It's basically same as the first one, made obly 364 days after the first one. Same pickups same kind of wood.

But man, they sound different.
Post a clip for comparison!

Post a clip for comparison!
Its hard to do it at the moment as my stuff is in multiple places, as I have some gigs and some teching gigs.

Will probably do in the future.

What I gathered by ear... The 2010 Traditional is fat and massive sounding. The Les Pauliest of Les Pauls. The 2011 Traditional is more present and precise, like half way between the 2010 and an SG.

What is interesting is that 2011 has more pronounced flame top. And I heard/read somewhere that the plain tops sound fatter. Might be something to it. And the rosewoot fretboards are different. 2010 has much darker rosewood.

ESP/LTD have come out with some really interesting models this year. Bill Kelliher's tasty new signature double-cut LP-style in silverburst, '87 series Horizon's with a humbucker/single coil configuration (I wish more companies did this as I find middle single coils get in the way of my pick), a single-pickup Jazzmaster-type and these flat-top Eclipses with exclusive Seymour Duncan pickups. :dancinggeek:

original.png

Back