My main hobbies are:

Listening to music

Reading

Running, cycling and playing basketball

Travelling

Watching films

Last edited:
Anyway, my hobbies are probably not that surprising:
- books (classics and fantasy, mostly), Tolkienism in particular (I am currently trying to read everything by and about the bloke)
- music (of every genre, including opera and various types of chants),
- theology (inasmuch as it is a "hobby" - and even then it has various aspects, like Church history, combination of theology with art and its interpretation, anthropology, psychology etc.),
- art history and history in general (primarily Medieval and Baroque, would love me to get some good sources on Byzantium/Byzantine empire, Persia and especially India - heh, now I realise I never thought about asking @Perun for recommendations),
- various types of art analysis,
- linguistics (although I'm quite terrible at learning languages),
- video games (more or less anything that's playable on PC or Xbox; I even consistently and periodically try to get into the genres I don't like, but many people do, like strategies),
- overall education. Like, lietrally, my favourite pasttime is opening an encyclopedia on a lunch break and go read something about something.

Used to be movies as well - I believe I might have seen literally hundreds, maybe even thousands of movies in the past and I think I used to be pretty good at (amateur) film analysis, but nowadays I prefer to give my time to books and video games more. And video games need analysis more, because they still have yet to be accepted as art by the general public.

Contrary to rumours, I actually do like to travel quite a bit, but usually not travelling for travelling's sake, but I have to feel the need to see that particular corner of the world. With little kids, travelling abroad is not quite feasible, so it's mostly just Czechia now. But as long as you get a church with a churchyard there, a graveyard, some other older buildings and maybe a bit of nature as well there, I'm pretty much always happy.

I have given up both piano and guitar, because I'm lazy and I have too much other stuff to do. I would love to pick up drums, one day, but I don't see it as feasible in the foreseeable future, mainly because of the kids again. Also, it's loud and not very compact and I'm probably going to be terrible at it, so I'm not holding my breath.

Fly fishing is another thing I'd love to pick up one day - over time I realised that I love rivers, moving water and especially the clear, fresh river regions (I have a lot of those around where we live). No, it's definitely not just because of A River Runs Through It, either the book or the movie.

Other than music/concerts/collecting and my kids activites, I prefer to work with electronics, football (mainly watching), reading and go hiking. Also have a plan to get a dog soon, guess it will take more free time as well

I used to travel alot as well before, but now I really don’t feel like doing it for a long time
Since back then, I now also have a dog, an Nintendo Switch I love to play with, and I try to catch some movies and theater plays as well. I also try do do more traveling again, and maintaining my house. Life is never boring!

And running away with the running shoes you tried on.

I also enjoy a lot watching YouTube videos about running shoes but this falls under testing shoes category. I will target a new shoe, read, watch, then locate the mall, go on the weekend and try. There are a few shoe-heads in the running club who like to exchange shoes for a few runs to try new things, so sometimes I’ll do that too.
Otherwise the safest way to try new shoes is to run more so you wear them faster :D

Alright, when I'm back from my holiday I'll look into what I can recommend.

Incidentally, that's one of my hobbies - travelling and visiting ancient sites and museums. I was on the road today for six hours to visit a small archeological museum in the Cretan countryside. I had planned for it to be shorter, but the return bus I was scheduling with didn't come. My gf doesn't understand how I can skip the beach a whole day just to see some old rocks. I did go to the beach in the evening, though.

The main hobbies that take up the most of my time:
- Playing and learning various instruments.
- Recording and producing music.
- Playing in a band/singing in choir.
- Video games.

Hobbies that I'm engaging with on an irregular basis/that come in phases:
- Miniature painting (specifically 40k, Necrons).
- Reading (Had a year where I read a bunch of dystopian classics, currently into horror short stories).

Hobbies I want to get into:
- Digital painting on a drawing pad.
- Video game development (I'm a software dev, so I have a good basis and I'm currently gathering ideas for a game. How far this'll go is another question entirely, obviously).

Incidentally, that's one of my hobbies - travelling and visiting ancient sites and museums.

That’s a great one. I used to chase mythology related sites when I was much younger. I would study /search about a myth and then visit the site. Many times I was working on a piece of story related to that myth then add music, work on it for weeks and then go and perform /record there in a specific date, accompanied by a few friends. The real audience though was the ruins the sea and the sky.
The recordings were always one take and the ending of the story would be decided spontaneously by what was happening.
Sometimes strange things would happen that aligned the story and the myth, and this was a shared experience.

Rebellion is really good. I'm iffy on Pandemic, although the Pandemic legacy games are quite good.

I have two themed versions, Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Reign of Cthulhu, because I was trying to get people who liked those themes to the table. They're supposed to be really good, light games - but we will see.

 Rebellion might be a few steps too heavy for me - I mainly play games within an hour. The only game of somewhat similar complexity I own is Firefly: The Game and that hasn't seen play since 2017... Decent game, but I'd rather play a few different games in the same time.

Back