Weekend Warrior

How good is Weekend Warrior on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
If I could give this a negative score, I would. I hate this song. The melodic structure, the lyrics, Bruce's vocal quality, the happy bridge, the slowed down repeat of "on Monnnnnnday"...I just hate it.

Another bad song. Bruce sounds like he has blown his voice on the verses, it hurts to listen to.
At least this has quite a catchy chorus, even if the lyrics are embarrassing. Like the acoustic guitar in the background.

3/10

7. This song is a guilty pleasure though I've never understood why it should be guilty. Rocking beat, fun chorus, killer solo. The lyrics are hardly poetry but I don't think they're as embarrassing as other people make out.

Rankings:

Previous Albums:

Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

Killers - 5.91

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
5 - Another Life
5 - Genghis Khan
5 - Innocent Exile
8 - Killers
5 - Prodigal Son
8 - Purgatory
6 - Twilight Zone
5 - Drifter

The Number Of The Beast - 7.56

6 - Invaders
7 - Children Of The Damned
8 - The Prisoner
7 - 22 Acacia Avenue
9 - The Number Of The Beast
10 - Run To The Hills
6 - Gangland
5 - Total Eclipse
10 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

Piece Of Mind - 7.44

8 - Where Eagles Dare
9 - Revelations
9 - Flight Of Icarus
7 - Die With Your Boots On
8 - The Trooper
7 - Still Life
6 - Quest For Fire
6 - Sun And Steel
7 - To Tame A Land

Powerslave - 6.75

8 - Aces High
7 - 2 Minutes To Midnight
3 - Loss Fer Words
7 - Flash Of The Blade
5 - The Duellists
6 - Back In The Village
9 - Powerslave
9 - Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Somewhere In Time - 8.00

8 - Caught Somewhere In Time
9 - Wasted Years
8 - Sea Of Madness
8 - Heaven Can Wait
8 - The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
7 - Stranger In A Strange Land
8 - Deja Vu
8 - Alexander The Great

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son - 8.25

7 - Moonchild
9 - Infinite Dreams
9 - Can I Play With Madness
9 - The Evil That Men Do
10 - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
6 - The Prophecy
8 - The Clairvoyant
8 - Only The Good Die Young

No Prayer For The Dying - 6.90

6 - Tailgunner
6 - Holy Smoke
8 - No Prayer For The Dying
7 - Public Enema Number One
7 - Fates Warning
7 - The Assassin
6 - Run Silent Run Deep
8 - Hooks In You
8 - Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
6 - Mother Russia

Fear Of The Dark

7 - Be Quick Or Be Dead
8 - From Here To Eternity
9 - Afraid To Shoot Strangers
5 - Fear Is The Key
6 - Childhoods End
8 - Wasting Love
7 - The Fugitive
8 - Chains Of Misery
6 - The Apparition
8 - Judas Be My Guide
7 - Weekend Warrior

There are a few things to like about this track, and the acoustic guitar addition is nice. But overall, it's a bit weak, the chorus grates on me, and in parts it feels half-finished.
3/10

I really like this track. It has an interesting stop/start rhythm and nice acoustic texture. The solo is pretty special too. The lyrics and vocal delivery are the only negative but ultimately this is one of the few I'd pick from the album in a deep cuts playlist. I realise this is a controversial opinion.

Another song that seems more like "hard rock" than "heavy metal". I will say that FOTD overall is still heavy metal and it's still Iron Maiden in every bit, but they definitely went for a different, more "hard rock"-approach for this record (which they have also admitted in interviews). Weekend Warrior is pedestrian, but Dave's solo is just soooo nice. Those first notes.... Blows me away. Great feel.

1/10

As if The Apparition wasn’t bad enough, we’re next treated to Weekend Warrior. I said The Apparition was the worst song ever, but scratch that. This is. Actually, it’s a toss up. They’re both terrible. Weekend Warrior is horribly lame and stupid. The lyrics deal with football (soccer) hooligans and every word is just as inane as you would expect. Thinking about some of the forced rhymes (“maybe someone will die…") or pointlessly dramatic vocal deliveries (“What you gonna do on Monday?”) make my skin crawl. I despise this song. There is absolutely no reason why Weekend Warrior or The Apparition should have been kept on the album.

There is absolutely no reason why Weekend Warrior or The Apparition should have been kept on the album.

There is a reason. To give pleasure to people who do appreciate these songs (themselves in the first place). Look how much I got from The Apparition.

Last edited:
There is a reason. To give pleasure to people who do appreciate these songs (themselves in the first place). Look how much I got from The Apparition.

Yes, but Foro, you must admit that you could find symbolism and existential meaning in a speck of dried paint.

Which, coincidentally, is what The Apparition is :ninja:

Not too fond of this, but as per most of the album, don't find it terrible, and that Dave solo in particular is an effective little addition that lifts an otherwise plain song somewhat. The Janick solo isn't at all bad either.

3/10

Dumb song going back to the AC/DC tendencies of FHTE. I really dislike the guitar intro thing and the chorus is horrible. Bruce is starting to sound annoying again. This is the textbook definition of filler. Probably the worst on the album, among the worst Maiden has done.

The guitar harmony in the middle is at least good, which stops me from giving this song a 1. Can't say there's nothing enjoyable about it.

a 5/10, not really too fond of this song, can't remember the verses and always found the chorus to be annoying, I'm surprised this is a Harris penned tune when I've always assumed this was a Dickinson penned tune.

Bruce is brutal on this. So is Steve, Nicko, and Dave. Are there actually two guitars on this track.

Just look at it now. Look at it noooooooow. Look at it now. Look at it noooooooooooooooow.

This is just... I'm really scratching my head over how to rate it. Is it great? Is it subpar? Is it good? I mean, the singing and music in the verses are overall strong, except for those parts like 'on Mondayyyy...' and etc. The chorus lyrics are kinda dumb, but still enjoyable when all is said and done. The solo is okay, but there is a segment in it, from 3:26 to 3:53, which is just... I don't know how to describe it... beautiful is probably most appropriate. That part I'd give a full on 10/10. I almost wish it was on a different song, but on the other hand, it makes this one that much more enjoyable and gives it a need to be listened to. At the end of the day, I'll settle for a 7/10. It's not that bad, it's just not the best song in their discography.

Worst Maiden song by a long shot. It's so boring, the chorus is awful and it's the only Maiden song I have ever skipped (even if only a few times). Few parts of this are actually very good (like the interlude after the solo, which Diesel 11 mentioned above; the main riff is also nice and should've been used for a different song), but most of it is just too weak for Maiden. Bruce's vocals are also pretty bad, and the lyrics come off as awkward and embarassing. Though not bad enough for a 3, it's weak enough for a 4.

Last edited:
Back