Weekend Warrior

Discussion in 'Fear Of The Dark' started by Anonymous, Apr 11, 2004.

?

How good is Weekend Warrior on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

4.2%
  2. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 8

2.1%
  4. 7

20.8%
  5. 6

14.6%
  6. 5

6.3%
  7. 4

12.5%
  8. 3

12.5%
  9. 2

12.5%
  10. 1

14.6%
  1. Jer

Jer CriedWhenJanickStayed

A pleasant clean intro leads into a forgettable verse with laughably growly vocals, and a flaccid, repetitive pre-chorus. More shitty verse and weak pre-chorus, and then we break into a truly bizarre chorus that's musically catchy but vocally atrocious. A chorus of comically growly Bruces compete for all the oxygen in the room at different notes but the same volume. WTF.

Another round of verse to chorus dreck leads into an OK solo, a surprisingly nice harmonized interlude and some more decent solos before plunging back into the sewage. A little more ear bleeding and the song finally ends with some nice clean notes.

Strangely, I think this could be a pretty good song if it weren't for Bruce's abortion of a vocal performance and some questionable decisions on the vocal harmonies. But as it stands it's pretty terrible overall. 3/10.

Number 6 likes this.
  2. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 As you scream into the web of silence...

It's funny, I forgot to re-vote and give it a 10, but your posting in this thread got me to correct that error. Nice one, Jer. :ok:

3. Jer

:facepalm:

frus, Number 6 and Diesel 11 like this.
  4. Number 6

Number 6 Ancient Mariner

I'll just stick with my 2/10 for now.

5. Diesel 11

:grumble:

Number 6 likes this.
  6. Black Bart

Black Bart Ancient Mariner

Nice use of the acoustic guitars on this song... for once one could say. It has the rocky feel of Tattooed Millionaire (same writer) but the result is slightly more generous on time changes and varied sections. Great solos and good harmony in between. I love the "what you're gonna do on Monday" part.
    What I don't like much is Bruce's interpretation (not as much the raspy voice as the lack of variation in the verses... but one does his best with somebody's else's lyrics on a subject you don't really care about) and the somewhat plodding rhythm: hearing it live would certainly do the song more justice.

7/10

7. Shmoolikipod

Shmoolikipod Nomad

I love this song a lot, I give it 9 though it's not quite the same 9 as SSoaSS

8. frus

frus Barbed Wire Hen

It's a '3' nine

9. Number 6

Number 6 Ancient Mariner

More like a '2' nine.

10. frus

frus Barbed Wire Hen

Solos earn it a 3 at least

11. Diesel 11

I’ve been reading through your comments. A lot of them I disagree with. And while I prefer The Apparition over Weekend Warrior, thanks for supporting Maiden’s football hooligan jam with me. :D

Shmoolikipod likes this.
  12. KidInTheDark666

KidInTheDark666 Ghost of Benjamin Breeg

Kind of stupid song, but overhated. 6

13. Shmoolikipod

Shmoolikipod Nomad

From 9 to 6, the verses were pretty annoying but it's a nice song...

14. Diesel 11

Okay, you all can start to rest easy now. Despite its bit of an influx a while ago, "Weekend Warrior" has fallen a bit for me. I still like it, but not so much. Chorus and solos are awesome, verses not so much. I do love the rasp on here though. Overall, it's good but not great. 7

15. Number 6

Number 6 Ancient Mariner

Finally.

Jer and Diesel 11 like this.
  16. srfc

srfc Ancient Mariner

Good analysis.

A lot of fans seem to be "embaressed" that the lyrics are about football hooligans, but the lyrics could just as easily apply to metal/music fans in boring 9 to 5 jobs going out and running amok on cocaine every weekend. I don't think there's even a single line of lyrics that suggest the song is only about football hooligans.

Brigantium likes this.
  17. Brigantium

Brigantium Grim Reaper Staff Member

I always thought about it more as ageing beery bovver boys getting pissed and getting into fights, rather than specifically football.

srfc likes this.
  18. Jer

I could never find time to think about the lyrics because I was too busy envisioning Bruce chugging a gallon of bleach right before he went to the studio to record the vocals.

Edington likes this.