Weekend Warrior

How good is Weekend Warrior on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Weekend Warrior

I pretty much agree with what everyone's said here, but the musics decent enough to warrant a 5.

Once you get past the fact that it sounds like it fits better on Tattooed Millionaire than an Iron Maiden album, this is not a bad song. Yes, the chorus and the verses are pretty mainstream, but they are also catchy enough to make me sing along in the car (not something you ever want to experience). That should add up to a six. But you have to take into account how incredible the instrumental mid-section is — good enough to elevate this one to a seven, so seven it is. PS I disagree with those who have bashed the lyrics. My reasons are here: http://forum.maidenfans.com/http://foru ... 59#p289059

I actually really enjoy listening to this song, its a fun song to listen too. But I can't give it more than a 4. The solo is nice, but the rest of the song plays like an Ac/Dc track like someone mentioned.

As for the lyrics, there are a few lines in the lyrics that is definitly about football "through the gates" the gates to the stadium and "and the game begins" and "after all its only a game" but I think the lyrics are written smart enough so that every listener can interpretate for themselves what sort of clique there is talk about. The social aspect of "Just wanting to be part, wanting to belong" is something of universal validity and should mean something to anyone who have been an adolescent and we all somehow find our own "pack" to run with..The lyrics most of all makes me think about cliques in school and how many young people go out to drink and party and be wild every weekend. So it can be seen as something else than just footie too  ;)

I can't wait to get to the X-Factor. Re-listening to this album is bringing me down. Songs I used to like or at least tolerate have not aged well. The Fugitive was one example. Weekend Warrior is another. The lyrics are very contrived, Bruce's voice at its worst, the music is too bluesy, and this song especially misses some of the snarl that Adrian typically brings to a song like this. Check out Quest for Fire or Sun and Steel. Two weak songs (like Weekend Warrior) but have some flashes throughout that redeem them. This has little going for it: the transition from verse to chorus, the thought (though not the execution) of the acoustic guitar, Janick's solo is pretty good, Dave's is kind of wimpy. I can't reasonably give this more than a 3.

Not a great song, but not horrible either, I give it a 5 ... I like the drumming and the solo and think Bruce sings it okay.  I do agree that Maiden is best off not singing about current events, they tend to be some of their weaker songs.

When Fear of the Dark was first released I immediately enjoyed this song and found it to be the single redeeming feature of the album. Over time this song has lost some lustre while the quality of others has grown. But Weekend Warrior still gets a 5 for the initial enjoyment it provided and for the solos. 

One of the worst songs of the worst Iron Maiden album. 5/10.

daves solo saves this song from a 2. A lot beter than 90% of metal nowadays

The riff at the beginning is sort of interesting, but once Bruce starts singing it all goes downhill.  The chorus, like in Chains of Misery, is annoying as hell, and the "what you gonna do on Monday" part is one of the worst/most irritating parts in any Maiden songs.  The song is only salvaged by the middle instrumental part; Dave's and Janick's styles are easily recognizable.  I give it 4.

Another 6 from me. Its a song I like listening to but wouldn't seek out. The solos are fine and the verses enjoyable.

The subject isn't shallow, but I agree with LC that it isn't dealt with well, and puts across a rather simplistic moralising message. Overall, one of the worst songs in the IM catalogue. 1/10

Nice intro, good solo, but everything else drags the song down. Is that really Bruce on vocals? 2/10.

So, that was that. The last Maiden shit song. The early nineties are over, so finally no 1's and 2's anymore.

Now it's going to be Valhalla for a long time.

Forostar said:
So, that was that. The last Maiden shit song. The early nineties are over, so finally no 1's and 2's anymore.

Now it's going to be Valhalla for a long time.

If my post offends you, I can delete it. :)

Hey, we still have Virtual ahead of us, I see at least two 1's on the way ;)

Mega, take that comment to the blasphemer thread. :p

Back