USA Politics

Obviously I was sarcastic but the fact that ex UK PM writes there gives it some weight. Not to the point of believing it but you can reference it as “a source” at the very least.

Well, ex UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson (who some consider not a clown) currently writes articles in this paper, so yes, some sources.

A former British Prime Minister is not a source on the current inner workings of an American Presidential administration.

Like, holy shit.

A former British Prime Minister is not a source on the current inner workings of an American Presidential administration.

Like, holy shit.
Well, to be fair Boris didn’t write that article. It’s just a gossip op ed that takes a bunch of pundit speculation (i.e. people without direct communication with the administration) and extrapolates a “secret plan” to replace Biden.

Which I would say is even worse, but YMMV.

The biggest problem is that no matter how off-topic or rambling or awful Trump gets, his cult will eat it up, regardless of the content.

To be fair, the other party will eat up Biden as well, even if he came straight out from the taxidermist's office (see Fetterman, previously).

I'm not a Trumpet, btw, just... unless the US revises the two-party system, this is going to get only worse, change my mind.

To be fair, the other party will eat up Biden as well, even if he came straight out from the taxidermist's office (see Fetterman, previously).

I'm not a Trumpet, btw, just... unless the US revises the two-party system, this is going to get only worse, change my mind.
Your Fetterman example kinda negates your point I would say.

Not to mention the constant hand wringing over whether Biden should run again on the left, while no amount of felonies is causing the GOP to even question their nominee.

I agree with your general point about the two party system, but the Trump cult goes way beyond anything either party has experienced. There is no legitimate equivocation on either side.

Your Fetterman example kinda negates your point I would say.

Not to mention the constant hand wringing over whether Biden should run again on the left, while no amount of felonies is causing the GOP to even question their nominee.

I agree with your general point about the two party system, but the Trump cult goes way beyond anything either party has experienced. There is no legitimate equivocation on either side.

OK, fair point, Trumpets are worse, but in general, I find the situation rather dire. Then again, that might be just my bias, as I strenuously hate certain tenets in both parties and I couldn't really pick a "lesser evil".

A friend of mine, who's a much bigger Americophile and who's more well-versed in politics, economy and history keeps predicting with utmost solemnity and seriousness that he expects a civil war in the US in the next 10-15 years. I used to find it ridiculous, now I'm not so sure.

I strenuously hate certain tenets in both parties and I couldn't really pick a "lesser evil".
Well, one party has devolved into a cult that’s trying to subvert the institutions of American government and make doublespeak mainstream, while the other has a loopy anti-free-speech fringe that wants to make goodthink mainstream. Both awful, but two completely different levels of danger there.

A friend of mine, who's a much bigger Americophile and who's more well-versed in politics, economy and history keeps predicting with utmost solemnity and seriousness that he expects a civil war in the US in the next 10-15 years. I used to find it ridiculous, now I'm not so sure.
There is no practical way for this to happen, as there are tons of people of differing political persuasions embedded within so-called “red” and “blue” states. You can’t draw the front lines of a war as rings around every decent-sized city in the U.S.

Will there be increasing amounts of deadly political violence until the pendulum swings back somehow? Yes. But civil war? No way.

An American civil war would probably consist of isolated terrorist attacks and guerrilla warfare, which I feel we pretty much already see. See Jan 6, the MAGA bomber, that standoff in Oregon for example.

Red America has a land advantage, but they are severely lacking in economic resources and man power. Any given blue city would easily fend off a rural militia. The question I guess is who commands the military if it were to come to that, but even with how hot things are now I have a hard time seeing the military being able to turn against its own citizens.

Well, one party has devolved into a cult that’s trying to subvert the institutions of American government and make doublespeak mainstream, while the other has a loopy anti-free-speech fringe that wants to make goodthink mainstream. Both awful, but two completely different levels of danger there.

I was talking about the core tenets, i. e. - even if GOP was all RATs and Trumpism didn't exist and even if you did something similar for the other side (which probably isn't possible, because much as I find the prominent donkey members terrible, there's not been a party-wide hijacking like there was with the Reps), there are still things that - if I was putting my Dante hat on and stretch these to infinity - make me believe they would lead to the state's destruction, sooner or later.

* here I had a list of bullet points of what I find despicable about each party's base ideology, but I'm not posting it, since I'm not sure whether I wouldn't be toying with the banhammer or something *

There is no practical way for this to happen, as there are tons of people of differing political persuasions embedded within so-called “red” and “blue” states. You can’t draw the front lines of a war as rings around every decent-sized city in the U.S.

Will there be increasing amounts of deadly political violence until the pendulum swings back somehow? Yes. But civil war? No way.

I hope (and still am mostly convinced) you're right. That friend of mine had these really complex scenarios full of diverging points and other variables, but I don't remember that and I've deleted my Telegram since, anyway, let's hope it won't come to that (although that might help with the two-party problem, you know, restructuralising a bit...)

I guess it depends on what you define as civil war, too. If a civil war is armies marching across the land, having big battles, that certainly won't occur. But something akin to the Tamil Tigers? Sure, why not. You could have 20, 25 years of intense, right wing political violence that doesn't amount to organized war, but has the same general goal of moving the populace in one specific direction.

* here I had a list of bullet points of what I find despicable about each party's base ideology, but I'm not posting it, since I'm not sure whether I wouldn't be toying with the banhammer or something *
I’m sure a few specific items on the Democratic side would get your post deleted by a certain someone if you deviated from progressive duckspeak, but the rest would probably be safe.

Hallelujah, chalk one up for the center-left. Let’s keep pushing out the crazies.

Well, Biden got stomped. Not just Biden having an awful debate performance that played to the worst fears people have about his cognitive state, it was the first time Trump came in with a strong debate performance. He stayed on message and he pounded Biden on the issues that Biden is weak on. He lied a lot, but I don’t think it matters here. He tapped into the sentiments that a lot of people already have about Biden while Biden failed to do the same regarding Trump.

The good news is that the election is so far away people might forget, but this was also imo Biden’s last real chance at changing the narrative direction and consolidating support. Instead we’re going to get another news cycle about whether he’s up to the job. I actually am beginning to hope that there is really a contingency plan to nominate someone else because this was a potentially campaign ending disaster.

Unfortunately SOTU Joe didn’t show up tonight, but Sleepy Joe sure did. From his complete brain farts early in the debate and during his closing statement, to his uncontrolled stutter, general hoarseness, drawn face staring off into the distance, zinger lines that failed to land, and scores of missed opportunities to jump on Trump’s weaknesses, this was a shit show for Biden. Not an utter train wreck, but it reinforced all the existing bad impressions of him for sure.

Trump was typical Trump, lying left and right, insisting things are always the best or worst things in the history of the world, same old pathetic shit. Nothing he said is going to change anyone’s opinion of him one way or the other, but he certainly came across as more vital than Biden.

For god’s sake, Joe, please step aside before the convention while there’s still an opportunity to fix this.

Debates are all about image. While Trump strayed from topics or outright danced around them, he at least appeared to be in the room. Biden camp has its work cut out for it now.

The good news is that the election is so far away people might forget

With all due respect, I wonder, what are the actual odds both are going to survive until the election, let alone the inauguration?

My mother says that from what she saw recently in some footage, Biden most likely has non-tremor Parkinson's, like my grandfather had, which itself doesn't impair cognitive functions, but is still a long-term debilitating disease with a higher risk of dementia.
Trump, apart from the behaviour of a typical cocaine abuser, cannot be that healthy himself (and he's only three years younger).

In any case, this is only going to get worse from now on.

Back