USA Politics

Well, Harris crushed it. Her speech was short and sweet with an almost perfect balance of personal story, prosecuting the case against Trump, and laying out some concrete policy agendas. If this Kamala shows up at the debate, Trump is going to have a bad night.

Biden (in 2020) and Clinton were both effective at picking apart Trump’s lack of temperament for the job of president, but I think Harris so far appears to be slightly better at carrying that message. I think she is able to better convey it in more of an “average American” way, as opposed to the talking down big politician approach that you sometimes got from Clinton and (to a lesser extent) Biden. The way she talks about Trump feels like how regular people I know would talk about him in a political conversation. We all know he isn’t qualified for the job, but a lot of us also don’t take him seriously on a personal level. Democrats have struggled with threading the needle between Trump the buffoon and the more nefarious and dangerous Trump administration, but somehow Harris manages to do it. Keeping the message on how Trump’s only client is himself is the way to go.

It’s also great to see Democrats take back the patriotism angle. Man, if they can triangulate between working class economic populism, social progressivism, and old school love of country, that is going to be really powerful electorally. It’s also something that I don’t think we will see the full ramifications of in this cycle, but when Trump goes away and takes his 45% voting floor with him, I think we’re going to find out that MAGA’s disdain for America and fellow Americans is actually really toxic to voters.

Btw, my favorite speakers of each night:
Monday - AOC
Tuesday - Michelle Obama
Wednesday - Oprah
(Only watched Kamala Thursday)

Good stuff all around. A lot of speeches overstayed their welcome but at the same time there’s also a lot of talent for oration in the party. An insane bench too.

I've been watching late night recaps and not a single one mentioned AOCs speech. So it either didn't shock and awe or it didn't shock and awe ENOUGH compared to others.

Good speeches:
Steve Kerr (D-Basketball)
Jamie Raskin
Raphael Warnock
Bernie Sanders
Tammy Duckworth
Doug Emhoff
Hakeem Jeffries
Elizabeth Warren
Roy Cooper

Great speeches:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Hillary Clinton
Barack Obama
Bill Clinton
Josh Shapiro
Oprah Winfrey
Tim Walz
Al Sharpton
Gabby Giffords
Gretchen Whitmer
Adam Kinzinger

Timeless speeches:
Joe Biden
Pete Buttigieg
Michelle Obama
Kamala Harris

Michelle in the timeless category for sure, maybe Harris as well. Biden’s speech was maybe timeless in the historic context but the speech itself didn’t floor me like a few others did. When he started getting into the weeds of his policy achievements it reminded me of why he struggled so much in the 2024 campaign in the first place.

I've been watching late night recaps and not a single one mentioned AOCs speech. So it either didn't shock and awe or it didn't shock and awe ENOUGH compared to others.
Well, she was one of the few not to blow her time constraint, so that may be part of it. I thought she did a great job carrying the working class/patriotic theme of the week.

I think Biden had a chance to put an exclamation mark on his presidency, a successful one, and he did an excellent job doing both that and priming the audience for three days of Harris.

Harris's speech was good, but not quite great. Biden's was just a barely modified version of his most recent stump speech before he dropped his campaign. Bill Clinton's was rambling and largely forgettable, and he sounded old.

For me, Barack Obama was the only truly captivating speaker this week. Michelle was probably a close second.

Harris's speech was good, but not quite great. Biden's was just a barely modified version of his most recent stump speech before he dropped his campaign. Bill Clinton's was rambling and largely forgettable, and he sounded old.

For me, Barack Obama was the only truly captivating speaker this week. Michelle was probably a close second.

Many Democrats feel pity for Biden and now praise him after having ousted him. His speech was boring and forgettable. Agreed, Barak gave the only truly great speech.

I read your link and don’t agree. Opposing warmongering doesn’t make her anyone’s plant.

Below isn’t pro Russia at all, it simply is pro truth: “This war and suffering could have easily been avoided if Biden Admin/NATO had simply acknowledged Russia’s legitimate security concerns regarding Ukraine’s becoming a member of NATO, which would mean US/NATO forces right on Russia’s border.”

Smeared by deep state journalism.

And RFK's endorsement is pure quid pro quo, as he's been trashing Trump for years and years until he was offered a job in exchange for his support by Trump.

Yes it’s odd. The only good reason to endorse Trump is if the latter promised him a cabinet where he could have some impact. I.e., overseeing legislation (big if) on food industry, pharmaceutical industry, something like this.
That I could understand.

“This war and suffering could have easily been avoided if Biden Admin/NATO had simply acknowledged Russia’s legitimate security concerns regarding Ukraine’s becoming a member of NATO, which would mean US/NATO forces right on Russia’s border.”
Wrong and pro ruzzian narrativish. putin invaded because he wanted to expand his empire. He believed that there will be no substantial resistance. There is saying in russia that without Ukraine, russian empire is impossible. All that shit about big bad NATO next to russia's borders is excuse for uneducated people.

I read your link and don’t agree. Opposing warmongering doesn’t make her anyone’s plant.
[…]
Smeared by deep state journalism.
Gabbard’s shown up at the same kinds of RT and Putin dinners as Jill Stein, just look it up. (EDIT: I couldn’t substantiate this after trying to look it up again myself, so I retract it.) And her own position history has tilted more and more pro-Putin over the past 10 years or so.

Also, there’s no such thing as “deep state journalism” in the United States, unless you want to try to paint PBS with that brush, which would be pretty laughable.

Last edited:
More thoughts on Gabbard being a “useful idiot” for Russia, including many of its own links.

Gabbard at one point sued Hillary Clinton for $50M for indirectly suggesting she was a Russian asset, then dropped the suit shortly thereafter, claiming she wanted to focus on beating Donald Trump in 2020 instead. My, how times have changed.

I may have been wrong about Gabbard attending formal dinners in Russia alongside Jill Stein — I could have sworn I’d seen multiple instances of this from a number of years back, but I wasn’t able to find any pictures with a reasonable amount of effort, so I’ll cede that point.

I may have been wrong about Gabbard attending formal dinners in Russia alongside Jill Stein — I could have sworn I’d seen multiple instances of this from a number of years back, but I wasn’t able to find any pictures with a reasonable amount of effort, so I’ll cede that point.

Maybe useful idiot in other occasions, but what she said in the interview and in X makes huge sense to me -is what I was saying all along about Biden and his administration- and she's quite patriotic too.

By the way, I read the article and I don't agree with the "useful idiot". We need different voices. Everyone who is standing against the Military Industrial Complex is getting a huge smearing by the media to make sure they keep others in line.
She was right in my opinion to oppose the regime change war in Syria which seemed to serve no clear purpose other than keeping the MIC engine running.

No reasonable person could ever look at Tulsi freaking Gabbard and take her seriously in any way, come on now lol

As I said I don't know her very well but whatever I posted previously makes a great deal of sense to me. Did you watch the interview?
For RFK endorsing Trump I'm suspicious, but she has a clear and patriotic justification why she did it.

She’s a fucking shill is what she is. You don’t turn your back on all the people you were supposed to represent to chase wild goose chases and then lie on Fox News about everything under the sun if you aren’t a grifter. For fucks sake, dude. Everything she says is being spat through the teeth of a fucking snake. She’s fake. I cannot believe I fell for it back in 2019. Whatever reputation she had is down the fucking drain. She’s chasing the money, and the money comes from being a hack for the Republican party. Fucking shame.

Again, Tulsi Gabbard is not genuine, she's not trustworthy, she's certainly not patriotic. She's a slimy, lying politician that chose grifting over representing the people. Only people who are pro-Russia would support her.

Back