USA Politics

It's less about persuasion and more about driving turnout/registration. Taylor Swift telling young women how to vote may motivate people who aren't tuned in to turn out or prevent someone from being unable to vote on election day because they didn't register properly or something.

Taylor Swift isn't going to swing the election, but the story of this race is probably going to be whether Trump was more successful at turning out young men or Harris was more successful at turning out young women.

What swing elections is enabling votes from people who dont have strong opinions and would normally not vote. It is easier than make opposing side change opinion. So it is possible that Taylor Swift will swing vote by enabling her fans.

Hey, remember all that "lawfare" talk and how unfair the legal system has been to poor, old Trump? Yeah, about that:

The Supreme Court was hit by a flurry of damaging new leaks Sunday as a series of confidential memos written by the chief justice were revealed by The New York Times.

The court's Chief Justice John Roberts was clear to his fellow justices in February: He wanted the court to take up a case weighing Donald Trump's right to presidential immunity—and he seemed inclined to protect the former president.

"I think it likely that we will view the separation of powers analysis differently," Roberts wrote to his Supreme Court peers, according to a private memo obtained by the Times. He was referencing the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals' decision to allow the case to move forward.

Roberts took an unusual level of involvement in this and other cases that ultimately benefited Trump, according to the Times—his handling of the cases surprised even some other justices on the high court, across ideological lines. As president, Trump appointed three of the members of its current conservative supermajority.

Roberts also took charge of the court's ruling that declared the government went too far in charging those who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6.

He had initially assigned the case to Samuel Alito but abruptly took it over himself days after the Times revealed Alito's wife Martha-Ann hung an upside-down U.S. flag—an emblem of the "Stop the Steal" movement, and propagated by some Jan. 6 rioters—outside his home, according to the Times. It was unclear whether the two episodes were linked; none of the justices answered the Times' questions.

I’m glad nobody got hurt.

I also have a hard time feeling bad for Trump when there have been several days of bomb threats and school evacuations because of what he said at a debate. This whole episode just highlights the following:

1: There is a massive gun violence problem in this country that is exasperated by policies supported by folks like Trump.

2: There is a level of chaos and political violence that comes with the Trump era and while I’m not naive enough to think it will go away if Trump loses, I do think preventing him from returning to office and weakening his influence will go a long ways toward turning down the temperature. I also believe that many swing/“undecided” voters are weighing whether they want to hear about Trump craziness for another four years when making their voting choice.

I’m out of the loop with this, what happened here?
There's been an unfounded right wing talking point/conspiracy making the rounds on Twitter for a few days that claimed Haitian immigrants eating the dogs and cats of people in Springfield, Ohio. Trump mentioned that during one of his unhinged rants in the debate, got fact checked that there's no evidence for that and Trump doubled down saying he "saw it on TV".

Since the debate multiple bomb threats have been called in various locations of that town.

Edit: Also, there have been reports about a suspect with a gun being at one of Trump's golf resorts and the Secret Service firing shots.

Last edited:
Good heavens, don't people realise this only makes Trump stronger?
This is what people said after the first shooting where he was actually hit, yet it didn't pan out like that.

This time the suspect didn't shoot at all and was arrested beforehand. Furthermore, once again, it was a right winger. Voted for Trump in 2016 but became staunchly anti-Trump at some point. Supported Ramaswamy and Haley, but has also supported Biden and Harris; basically anyone but Trump. Also, very pro-Ukraine, probably his only policy stance that's not fully aligned with the GOP, from what I've read.

Just like the previous attempt, this will be quickly forgotten. If it was someone who's left wing every right winger would be screaming for days on end. Turns out it's a pretty bad picture if (former) Trump supporters are the ones who keep trying to assassinate him. Especially when the Dems are the ones in favor of gun control, while the GOP can at best offer thoughts and (concepts of) prayers.

Last edited:
I wish Trump and also liberals didn’t make Kamala Harris sound so cool. I heard she has or had a history or locking up a lot of drug dealers or drug users to absurd prison sentences. I’m not necessarily anti-weed, but it’s normally not conducive for a getting a lot of work done properly. That is, I’ve worked with a lot of pot smokers in my field that generally find themselves to be lazy, unmotivated and not driven. If I can work with less of those people, hell man I might have to throw a vote her way.

Also during the debate (which I didn’t watch fully) I saw a clip of Trump saying that if Kamala gets into office, he guarantees that in two years Israel will cease to exist. If Trump can guarantee me that Kamala will bring the end of Israel, hell I gotta couple dead relatives that might throw a vote her way too. They gotta stop making her sound so cool.

I heard she has or had a history or locking up a lot of drug dealers or drug users to absurd prison sentences. I’m not necessarily anti-weed, but it’s normally not conducive for a getting a lot of work done properly. That is, I’ve worked with a lot of pot smokers in my field that generally find themselves to be lazy, unmotivated and not driven. If I can work with less of those people, hell man I might have to throw a vote her way.
Well to be fair, this was one of the talking points that got her to drop out in 2019. But everything I’ve read since suggests that her policy was not to sentence for possession alone and instead send people to treatment centers. Which I certainly think is better.

I'm honestly not sure it's the pot that makes those people you're dealing with low motivation. It's been legal here for almost 10 years now. Almost everyone I know, including my parents, use marijuana at least casually, and I wouldn't call any of them low motivation. If anything, I'd think the motivation-pot cycle is inverted.

Back