USA Politics

Goddamn whenever no5 says something it's such a Gish gallop. Random nonsense and complete and total falsehoods. Now we're arguing that Syria is a "regime change" war, instead of a natural evolution of the Arab Spring that eventually drew in the regional powers.

The idea that Russia was afraid of Ukraine joining NATO from a military perspective is pure Russian propaganda. ISW has documented heavily the truth: Putin has made it clear in word and action over the past 20 years that he will accept nothing less than Russian control over Ukraine. He explicitly said that Ukraine “never had its own statehood” in advance of the Feb 24 invasion. There is no room for an independent Ukraine in Putin’s “Russian World.”

Ukraine is entitled to make national decisions, like a closeness to EU and NATO. Putin objects to that right, and so he has tried to partition Ukraine and now invaded. There is no justification for this and I am getting sick and tired of reading it.

Gabbard is a Democrat only because an (R) next to your name in Hawaii is virtual electoral poison. The senate is 23-2 Democrat and house 44-6 Democrat out there.

More “truth is stranger than fiction” fodder for RFK Jr…
And this is (was? I don't think he even knows) the supposed environmental candidate?

Gabbard is a Democrat only because an (R) next to your name in Hawaii is virtual electoral poison. The senate is 23-2 Democrat and house 44-6 Democrat out there.
Even that is giving her too much credit imo. I think she’s mostly just an opportunist shill who has some suspicious ties to Russia. It’s important to keep in mind that she switched parties after the Biden administration/Democrats proved to be tougher on Russia and more supportive of Ukraine than what a lot of people may have expected.

I thought she was interesting pre-2020 but when she entered the primary it became clear she was more interested in lobbing bombs than actually building a coalition to win.

Goddamn whenever no5 says something it's such a Gish gallop. Random nonsense and complete and total falsehoods. Now we're arguing that Syria is a "regime change" war, instead of a natural evolution of the Arab Spring that eventually drew in the regional powers.

The idea that Russia was afraid of Ukraine joining NATO from a military perspective is pure Russian propaganda. ISW has documented heavily the truth: Putin has made it clear in word and action over the past 20 years that he will accept nothing less than Russian control over Ukraine. He explicitly said that Ukraine “never had its own statehood” in advance of the Feb 24 invasion. There is no room for an independent Ukraine in Putin’s “Russian World.”

Ukraine is entitled to make national decisions, like a closeness to EU and NATO. Putin objects to that right, and so he has tried to partition Ukraine and now invaded. There is no justification for this and I am getting sick and tired of reading it.

I find it fascinating how we two, so completely opposite in almost everything, politically and possibly otherwise, can 100 % agree upon this :D

Not so fast LC. This is US thread and the meaning was US got involved in this for regime change purposes. And I don't mean 2015.
Not that US weren't involved in the "natural evolution" of Arab Spring in Syria and other places, but let's leave this for another time and thread.

Catching up on the debate right now and yeah, Trump fell for the simplest bait time and time again. Also, the moderators were willing to fact check some of his outrageous claims, so that's something. Harris handled the debate impressively well, while Trump came across as unhinged; more than usual.

I know Trump's base support is calcified and immovable, but that debate was about as bad as Biden's in June for him. Holy shit.
I mean, Biden's debate was so bad he had to leave the race.

I want to see what happens to the polling numbers. There was a big NYT poll over the weekend that showed Trump ahead by a point, but it also showed a large percentage of voters being undecided but want to know about Kamala Harris. Well, they got to know more tonight. She was very clear in her policy and plans for a Harris administration while Trump came off as a kid who forgot his homework. If this moves some of those 2020 Biden voters who haven't committed to Harris, that's the ballgame. If not, she can still win but it's going to be close. This was probably her best and last chance to make her pitch to a large audience. Will the voters take her up on her offer to move on from the stupidity of the last decade of Trump?

I don’t know that Harris did the best job of selling herself, and she did dodge a number of valid questions, but boy did she shellack Trump and keep him on his heels. The comment inviting people to attend one of his rallies and watch people start to leave out of boredom halfway through seemed to break something in the man, turning him into full blown “old man yells at cloud” for the rest of the night. And getting him to go on a tear about people’s pets supposedly being eaten and stuff was just priceless.

Trump didn’t earn any new votes last night, but Harris probably swept up quite a few Haley voters and undecideds. Very curious to see the post-debate polling results.

T Swift has endorsed Kamala. That's pretty huge given how popular she is. Her Swifties are raising funds already.

I've been thinking a lot about the impact of this. Celebrity endorsements actually can matter and have made a difference in the past. But in particular I think the Swift endorsement intersects with the biggest question I have about this election, which is whether polling is missing young/uneducated white women, which tends to be an unreliable block. I could see this being a reverse of the 2016 race, where polls missed Trump because they didn't expect white men without a college degree to vote. A lot of crosstabs of national polls are showing Harris not winning women by very much, but I'm skeptical that is truly the case.

FB_IMG_1726114719576.jpg

:ninja:

Kidding aside, I have no idea how the "official endorsement works, but I thought it was kinda eo ipso obvious that Swift wouldn't be voting for Trump AND I somehow can't imagine a huge fan of her voting for anyone else than Harris, so... ?

View attachment 38835

:ninja:

Kidding aside, I have no idea how the "official endorsement works, but I thought it was kinda eo ipso obvious that Swift wouldn't be voting for Trump AND I somehow can't imagine a huge fan of her voting for anyone else than Harris, so... ?
I'd argue the majority of Swifties at least leans left. There are plenty of Trump supporters who listen to Taylor Swift as well though. What I think is more important in her endorsement is that she also pushed people once again to make sure they are registered to be able to vote.

Young potential voters are often apathetic and getting them motivated to actually vote is a herculean effort. As silly as it is, such an endorsement can have quite the impact.

I'd argue the majority of Swifties at least leans left. There are plenty of Trump supporters who listen to Taylor Swift as well though. What I think is more important in her endorsement is that she also pushed people once again to make sure they are registered to be able to vote.

Young potential voters are often apathetic and getting them motivated to actually vote is a herculean effort. As silly as it is, such an endorsement can have quite the impact.
We'll see but there was a certain surge of searches for instructions on how to vote after her posts.

Back