USA Politics

Now Biden has COVID.

I am really angry with Biden in general, it's kinda personal, but I sincerely wish him a speedy recovery and no post- consequences. Really, living these past few months with it, I wish that upon no-one. Even Trump or the anti-vaxx people or whoever; I'm way too big a softie to muster satisfaction from such justice; anyway, I hope he steps down - or even better, repent and turn back to the Truth - but I hope he's going to be okay. Covid's a sodding buggeration of a disease.

Does anyone here actually think Biden is going to drop out citing Covid complications as a “medical reason” ?

See above, depends on the possibility of long-term complications, which can debilitate even a young, healthy person. But I hope it won't happen, really.

Jack Smith turned to an Atlanda court to appeal Cannon's decision to throw out the case. So he circumvented the circuit's appeals court (which is headed by a Trump conservative).

"Several top Democrats privately tell us the rising pressure of party congressional leaders and close friends will persuade President Biden to decide to drop out of the presidential race, as soon as this weekend."

Really curious who they talked to. I reckon actually high ranking democrats wouldn't say something like this privately unless they truly believed it.

Edit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/07/18/obama-says-biden-must-consider-viability/

This recent interview where Biden sounded half asleep the entire time didn't help matters either. Every one of these wipes out 3-4 better performances in people's minds.

My opinion is that the decision has been made. If this is still the dominant story less than a week after your opponent was almost assassinated, then it’s never going away. Now it’s just a matter of when to drop the news imo. I saw some reports that they may make the decision as soon as this weekend, so maybe Monday?

My opinion is that the decision has been made. If this is still the dominant story less than a week after your opponent was almost assassinated, then it’s never going away. Now it’s just a matter of when to drop the news imo. I saw some reports that they may make the decision as soon as this weekend, so maybe Monday?
If they are going to do it .. the sooner the better. I think it has to be next week or they are riding with Joe (not that anyone except Biden really has a say in this)

If they are going to do it .. the sooner the better. I think it has to be next week or they are riding with Joe (not that anyone except Biden really has a say in this)
The assassination attempt shifted the timeline for sure but I wonder if letting the RNC play out first and letting Trump get his convention bounce will be good for narrative setting. Not sure, I also think this has gone on way too long but idk.

Do want to note I didn't watch the RNC. But, from what it sounds like, A. They let him off the teleprompter tonight and B. The tone reset didn't happen like they were hyping.

Well, the bar is set very low, nowadays, for both parties.

Though... people tend to forget this, but before Iraq and Katrina Dubya was actually quite popular - the immediate aftermath of 9/11, the No Child Left Behind and stuff like that gets some recognition even in retrospect.
(well, at least it seemed so from the outside)

Heh, I've been surfing the web regarding various past presidents and some of the stuff is quite interesting.

Guess who!

He oversaw the creation of the EPA and OSHA, the passage of the Clean Air Act and other policies aimed at preservation of the environment and natural resources ... worked to reform the American health care system with a proposal that was eerily similar to Barack Obama's Affordable Care Act, though only bits and pieces of it made it through Congress. In [year], he signed into law an amendment to the Fair Labor Standards Act to raise wages and encompass more employees covered by the law. His administration also helped to advance women's rights, as he supported and oversaw the passage of the Equal Rights Amendment through Congress (even though it failed to achieve ratification after he left office) and oversaw the creation of social programs that expanded girls' athletics and skills training in schools. He also oversaw the ratification of a constitutional amendment that lowered the voting age to 18. He signed the National Cancer Act of [year], which was the first major national effort towards cancer eradication, generally considered to be the starting point of the War on Cancer.

Yep, the Crook himself.

Well, the bar is set very low, nowadays, for both parties.

Though... people tend to forget this, but before Iraq and Katrina Dubya was actually quite popular - the immediate aftermath of 9/11, the No Child Left Behind and stuff like that gets some recognition even in retrospect.
(well, at least it seemed so from the outside)

Dubya was "popular" with the "who'd you like to have a beer with," crowd. And the 2000 election was close enough to merit the famous Florida recount. That being said, even back then EVERYONE, including myself, freshly new in the U.S, knew he was the party's puppet the the person really pulling the strings was Chaney. He was also surrounded by staff that worked for his father.

His biggest moment was immediately after 9/11 and his, "We will find you, kill you, haunt your dreams" speech. That quickly went to shit when, again, obvious to everyone, he lumped Iraq with Afghanistan in his "Axis of Evil" and completely made up the WMD thing to invade... sorry, "liberate," the Iraqi people.

His pre-9/11 numbers weren't great, appeared to be on his way to being a 1 term president, but the whole, "presidents during war always get reelected" thing worked out for him.

As for No Child Left Behind, it was good in theory, horrendous in practice. As a high schooler during it and my mom an elementary teacher for 13 years, all it did was add more standardized tests that told us nothing of how the teacher, student and school was actually performing.

But yeah, in hindsight, he looks WAY better than either current candidate. For starters he wasn't a million years old while in office.

What I do miss from Dubya is he was still "old school" republican and you knew what you got. Typical economic/social, post-Reagan, conservatism.

That's what it was like from the inside as an outsider. I'd like to hear from an insider on the inside.

I fully understand him. It is kind of betrayal in deed. I think Democrats know fully well that Harris won’t stand a chance against Trump but they think that by decoupling themselves from Biden they’ll save the House.

I fully understand him. It is kind of betrayal in deed. I think Democrats know fully well that Harris won’t stand a chance against Trump but they think that by decoupling themselves from Biden they’ll save the House.
They should ask Michelle Obama to replace Joe Biden and Kamala Harris in the race for White House. She is the only chance for Democrats to win.

Back